Re: non-continuable protection violation

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17, 2011
      We need more to work with. More precise details on how it breaks. Does it start running? or has it never run? Are you paying attention to the Win7 rules about UAC control and in particular not writing files to system directories like Program Files and Windows System?

      If it breaks immediately you try to run it you should check your DEP setting via windows help. Set it to the default setting which protects only system and essential files.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17, 2011

        > We need more to work with. More precise details on how it
        > breaks. Does it start running? or has it never run? Are you
        > paying attention to the Win7 rules about UAC control and in
        > particular not writing files to system directories like
        > Program Files and Windows System?
        >
        > If it breaks immediately you try to run it you should check
        > your DEP setting via windows help. Set it to the default
        > setting which protects only system and essential files.

        How to handle DEP is described at http://basic.wikispaces.com/Installing_on_Vista including some other helpful things.

        ----

        Another reason would be using the wrong data types for API function calls.
        A list of how data types should be translated from C to LB is available at http://www.b6sw.com/forum/content.php?mode=hints&t=235

        Liberty BASIC 4.04 Pro ... http://www.libertybasic.com/assist.html
        Liberty BASIC 4.04 ....... http://www.libertybasic.com/lb404setup.exe

        Liberty BASIC Bug Tracker ... http://libertybasicbugs.wikispaces.com/

      • titan2guy
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 19, 2011
          It's time for an update.

          The program is very long (about 7,700 lines), fairly complex with lots of files and screens, photos, and sound. (There are a couple hundred sound and photo files it uses.) That's why I didn't include it.

          The protection exception occurred within a loop, generally when the loop had been run 5,000-6,500 times. I had some debugging 'print "log#xx"' statements (xx is "01" to "24") stuck in because I thought it seemed connected to a log file I use extensively and I was trying to isolate it down to which write to the log was doing it. After each write, I close the file to force Windows to flush the buffers out to disk/memory stick to make certain the log always contains the last entry. Then I reopen the file.

          On a bit of a whim, I commented out all of those statements and the protection exception has disappeared. I have now seen the counter in the loop exceed 100,000 with no protection exception. I'm thrilled, of course, but I don't like that kind of solution, because I don't feel I fixed it. I messed with it and it happened to go away -- I can't point to anything I did, for sure, to not do again or learn.

          Thanks for your suggestions and assistance just the same!

          Ken