Re: Commercial Software

  • mr.john.f@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2011
      > After writing an executable can Liberty Basic Pro package it for purchase and installation similar to other purchased programs on the web, and if so do the tools to do this come with the software? If not, what tools do I need to accomplish this?

      If you do a search on the LB conforum for wrapper you'll find ideas- http://libertybasic.conforums.com
      It has become harder under Windows Vista/ 7 to make foolproof installers...

      > Also, how do I go about letting an end-user use the software free for 15 days and then disable it afterwards if not purchased and licensed.

      A very easy way to limit trial use is to count number-of-uses and save it. If you do this to a file the user may notice it- I prefer to hide the relevant byte(s) at the end or in the middle of some file like a bmp or even the exe/tkn file. You obviously would not distribute the bas file since any savvy user could bypass your protection! You'll find my example on my website and referred to on the conforum. See http://diga.me.uk/in.html and look for the link. I've tinkered with that version a bit more since...
      If however the users re-install your program, they'll get another set of goes.
      If instead you supply them with a copy with the date-of-issue hidden it, rather than number-of-runs, it will never run beyond that date unless they reset their computer clock... Easy to code, but you'd need to personalise each copy. Easy to automate that- and very do-able if you are distributing small numbers directly and not from a host site.

      > And, does liberty Basic host developer websites and provide tools for website development?

      Have you investigated RunBASIC, which is an updated LB designed to output to local or web browser viewing? You could then self-host. Some of us have used combinations of LB and RB.
    • Gordon S
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2011
        If you visit http://www.sigord.co.uk/Submits/Software.htm you can see how I package my efforts as Freeware, and a number of distributors are kind enough to host many. Much of which are produced with LB and I often like to package such into a single EXE using Iexpress supplied with Windows.

        Gordon S.