Re: Cannot Write to Disk message

    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2011
      How are we doing with this? Is it still a problem that needs more help or is it fixed or partially fixed?
    • math20
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2011
        Rod

        Thanks for your interest. I excluded ".bas" files from being scanned by a
        Virus checker, but that didn't improve anything. It's still happening. I
        know it's not real often. I often save to alternate files as I'm
        programming; that's why I'm using "Save As" rather than just "Save" (this is
        than it's just inconvenient.

        Thanks for your suggestions but I don't think we have nailed down as to why
        it's happening.

        Fred

        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2011
          Fred,

          I've watched and read of your difficulties. I have never had that problem
          in using LB in much the same way as you describe, probably more than six
          years now. Needless to say, my discovery and experiences with LB have
          been a gods end re numerous programs developed in Basic or QuickBasic.
          No difficulty or problems that could not be successfully over come. I
          don't have much of a clue as to why you are experiencing the error that
          you mention, but didn't you say you could clear that error and then
          perform the 'save as' using the exact same file name? If so, that must be
          a clue to what is happening. Seems like the disk controls are saying to
          use a different name or the disk empty disk space to write the file out
          under a new name(then it deletes the old copy I think) is unavailable to
          write in. If you are using 'save as' to write the same file name in the
          same location, it should tell you that file already exists, and ask if you
          want to over write. I don't know what happens if you say no to that
          question, but it may automatically write it as a second or third copy, etc
          of the same file name. Not sure whether or where the later actually gets
          done.

          In either case, same name or not, make sure all output files to the
          disk are closed, not just LB output files.

          Sorry I can't be of more help, maybe just sympathetic in total, but will
          be interested in how you fair with this. Again, I've never experienced
          that problem, always intel processor. What or whose processor chip are
          you using? Could it possibly lie all the way back to there?

          jim

          * James L. Steele, Retired ------ ?? *
          * Agricultural Engineer, Farmer, Consultant *
          * 4005 Coachman Road *
          * Manhattan, KS 66502, USA *
          * Ph: 785-539-1129 *
          * CPh: 641-680-7583 *
          * E-mail: steele2@... *

          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2011
            Do you use Windows update? is your system up to date? It can be a chore but often there will be tweaks available from the PC support site. I would be sure your hard disc drivers and your BIOS are both up to date.

            Have you loaded any file assist software, auto backup routines, indexing, anything that might be getting in the way?

            If you post your PC's make and model and the hard drive make and model
            we can browse a bit more. It's a bit needle in a haystack right now. It seems to happen to folks but often it is very old OS and systems that are being discussed.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2011

              > Have you loaded any file assist software, auto backup
              > routines, indexing, anything that might be getting in the way?

              In respect to background file handling routines I ask, if you use a defragmenter, which runs in the background?

              You may get a clue by running process monitor from the Sysinternals, which allows to check what programs access a file and such.

              Liberty BASIC 4.04 Pro ... http://www.libertybasic.com/assist.html
              Liberty BASIC 4.04 ....... http://www.libertybasic.com/lb404setup.exe

              Liberty BASIC Bug Tracker ... http://libertybasicbugs.wikispaces.com/