RE: [libertybasic] Delsegment and Flush

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2011

      > > I think the confusion arises because the term "flush" is a
      > misnomer. It suggests "get rid of". It might better be called
      > "store". It takes the temporary list of most recent draw
      > commands, stores it as a "segment" and makes that segment
      > part of a more permanent list, which is accessed when the
      > window refreshes itself--as when you cover and then uncover
      > the window. That is why "flush" causes the graphics to
      > "stick". The temporary list gets cleared, so "flush" is
      > accurate in that sense, but the contents are not thrown away,
      > which is why "flush" is misleading and causes confusion.

      Freeze might be another term, which would better reflect what is done.

      Generally one only needs to know the opposite action of a drawing command.

      Any of the shape creation commands creates a drawing object, the opposite is DISCARD, which removes the information from the content
      list.
      FLUSH creates a marker in the content list, which will stop DISCARD from going further.
      DELSEGMENT removes this marker.
      REDRAW will display everything from the content list starting at the last marker up to the first object in the list.
      CLS will clear the content list entirely including the display of the graphics control/window.

      GETBMP creates a copy of the current display, so one can display a certain state of the graphics contents until UNLOADBMP is used to
      get rid of the memory image.

      With BMPSAVE one can preserve the memory image over reboots of the system by saving it to disk.
      KILL can free the disk from the saved image.

      As you can see, there are always at least two commands doing the opposite thing, one to create and one to remove an object in memory
      or on disk.

      Liberty BASIC 4.04 Pro ... http://www.libertybasic.com/assist.html
      Liberty BASIC 4.04 ....... http://www.libertybasic.com/lb404setup.exe

      Liberty BASIC Bug Tracker ... http://libertybasicbugs.wikispaces.com/

      Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit RTM
      AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2GHz, 4GB RAM
    • stefanhes
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 11, 2011
        I never read such a brite explanation. I have printed it out and will hang it beside my computer.

        Pershaps this can be added to the help file?

        Thank you Stefan Pendl

        Stefan Hesseling

        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pendl" <>
        > Freeze might be another term, which would better reflect what is done.
        >
        > Generally one only needs to know the opposite action of a drawing command.
        >
        > Any of the shape creation commands creates a drawing object, the opposite is DISCARD, which removes the information from the content
        > list.
        > FLUSH creates a marker in the content list, which will stop DISCARD from going further.
        > DELSEGMENT removes this marker.
        > REDRAW will display everything from the content list starting at the last marker up to the first object in the list.
        > CLS will clear the content list entirely including the display of the graphics control/window.
        >
        > GETBMP creates a copy of the current display, so one can display a certain state of the graphics contents until UNLOADBMP is used to
        > get rid of the memory image.
        >
        > With BMPSAVE one can preserve the memory image over reboots of the system by saving it to disk.
        > KILL can free the disk from the saved image.
        >
        > As you can see, there are always at least two commands doing the opposite thing, one to create and one to remove an object in memory
        > or on disk.

      • Gary Purkiss
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2011
          i 100% agree with you i think them few commands can be a bit confusing and he made a good explanation of them....