Teensy USB development board code

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2009
      Has anyone had any experience writing control code in Liberty Basic for
      this very capable and seemingly very good value little USB board?

      http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy.html

      I've only just bought Liberty Basic and am still feeling my way around,
      but I'd like to use this board to bit-bang about 15 of the control port
      pins, similar to the way that Brian Schmalz has done with his
      UBW_play.bas programme.

      I'm not sure exactly how the examples given in the PJRC website would
      slot into Liberty Basic (e.g. do I have to call a DLL or API, etc)

    • rod_bird001
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2009
        A search of the forum shows that the teensy board has not been discussed before. Having browsed the teensy site I have to say that you would get on far better with Brian's board. There are Liberty BASIC examples as part of his support for the product.

        I doubt whether Liberty BASIC could help with the teensy board as it looks as if it uses it's own compiled code. The arduino board, which appears to be similar or at least uses a similar controller, has been discussed before. I get the feeling it too has been problematic for folks.

        I didn't find any discussion about a .dll file so I'm guessing that if you wanted to interact with the board via Liberty that you would need to code a comms app on the microcontroller board and communicate with that.

        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <sentsys@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone had any experience writing control code in Liberty Basic for
        > this very capable and seemingly very good value little USB board?
        >
        > http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy.html
        >
        > I've only just bought Liberty Basic and am still feeling my way around,
        > but I'd like to use this board to bit-bang about 15 of the control port
        > pins, similar to the way that Brian Schmalz has done with his
        > UBW_play.bas programme.
        >
        > I'm not sure exactly how the examples given in the PJRC website would
        > slot into Liberty Basic (e.g. do I have to call a DLL or API, etc)

      • John Fisher
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 12, 2009
          Loosely speaking, Arduino & Teensy are self-contained microcontrollers.
          The computer just talks to them in order to upload a program to them,
          which they can then run while no longer connected to a pc. They may or
          may not be programmed by you to report back to the PC. The software
          supplied helps you do the compile and/or upload and/or listen... there's
          no need for a program written by YOU on the pc, just on the controller board
          Brian's UBW board CAN be re-programmed to be such a controller, but
          usually stays connected to the host pc, which simply uses it as an I/O
          device controlled ( very easily) from LB as a virtual serial device with
          lots of digital and analog I/O pins..
          Unless you value the stand-alone aspect, or require particularly fast
          I/O, I too strongly recommend the UBW, which you may notice I've used
          with LB if you do a search on the LB conforum or here.
          JohnF (tenochtitlanuk)
        • Brian Schmalz
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 12, 2009
            Sweet board! And how very inexpensive. If I were more familiar with Atmel processors, I'd probably get myself one of these. How great.

            Teensy and UBW both come with USB based bootloaders. Although the bootloader on the Teensy looks cooler than the Microchip bootloader I use on the UBW.

            You can program your own stand-alone application in C and use the bootloader to write it down to the board. In either case, you'll need to know a lot about the particular processor on the board (read the datasheets a lot!).

            The UBW comes with an example application that uses the USB connection to the PC and enumerates as a serial port, so you can easily use Liberty Basic to talk to it. You can send it simple text commands to bit-bang anything out the I/O ports, read analog inputs, do timing, pulsing, etc. The teensy does not look like it comes out of the box with any firmware onboard (other than the bootloader). It looks like there are some nice example applications (LUFA CDC Device for example) that you could use to start with if you wanted to write your own command-processor USB firmware for the Teensy.

            The UBW will be able to 'talk' to Liberty Basic out of the box. You won't have to write any code on the embedded side if you don't want to. It appears this is not true for the Teensy.

            Also note that there is a compatible 'big daddy' board called the UBW32 that you can get that has 76 I/O pins if you need a really fast processor with lots of pins.

            *Brian

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 13, 2009
              Thanks Brian and others.

              The other reasons I am interested in using the Teensy, apart from cost, is

              1. For speed reasons.

              2. Because of my existing familiarity with programming the Atmel micros, both in assembler and in compiled Basic (the tremendous free BASCOM AVR BASIC compiler http://www.mcselec.com).

              In my application, the microcontroller is permanently connected to the PC, and performs a scanning or polling role on a parallel bus of my own design.

              Because of the nature of the polling operation (write address to the bus/read data from the bus) as many times per second as possible, it is a very inefficient use of the USB bus. I believe the USB bus performs best transferring large packets of information in one direction at a time.

              Therefore, the best configuration would be to have the microcontroller do all the polling housekeeping at a higher speed, and to only have higher level commands (and data) transferred via the USB interface.

              That is why I would like to know how to use LB to send a command to the Atmel micro that my software in the micro will recognise, but that is where I am stuck!

              Ron