RE: [libertybasic] start up message

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2009

      > Hi all,
      >
      > My software token file is 1.6 Mb.
      > If my users try to start up my program (using a netwerk) it
      > takes about 8 seconds before any reaction can be seen.
      >
      > I want at least a (popup?) window to be seen in 1 second
      > (with the message that starting up could last for at least 7 seconds)
      >
      > How to do this?
      >

      > Stefan Hesseling
      >
      > P.S. I already have a routine to prefend impatient users to
      > start up my program twice...

      Stefan,
      this highly depends on the way your program initializes at startup.

      If possible, you could use a timer.

      You may consider opening a progress window in any case and display a message "Loading - Please wait ..." nothing fancy, but does the
      job.
      You may like to include a hint for the user like: "Initializing stage 1/10" and updating this as each stage is processed.

      Liberty BASIC Assist 4.03 ........ http://www.libertybasic.com/assist.html
      Liberty BASIC 4.04 public beta ... http://www.libertybasic.com/lb404b3setup.exe

      Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
      AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2GHz, 4GB RAM
    • stefanhes
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2009
        Hi Stefan,

        I already tried to insert a 'notice' in the first line. But even that message took a very long time before displaying ...(?)

        (if this is not what you mean, could you be more specific?)

        Stefan

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2009

          > Hi Stefan,
          >
          > I already tried to insert a 'notice' in the first line. But
          > even that message took a very long time before displaying ...(?)
          >
          > (if this is not what you mean, could you be more specific?)
          >
          > Stefan
          >
          > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pendl"
          > <pendl2megabit@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > Hi all,
          > > >
          > > > My software token file is 1.6 Mb.
          > > > If my users try to start up my program (using a netwerk) it
          > > > takes about 8 seconds before any reaction can be seen.
          > > >
          > > > I want at least a (popup?) window to be seen in 1 second
          > > > (with the message that starting up could last for at
          > least 7 seconds)
          > > >
          > > > How to do this?
          > > >

          > > > Stefan Hesseling
          > > >
          > > > P.S. I already have a routine to prefend impatient users to
          > > > start up my program twice...
          > > >

          > > Stefan,
          > > this highly depends on the way your program initializes
          > at startup.
          > >
          > > If possible, you could use a timer.
          > >
          > > You may consider opening a progress window in any case and
          > display a message "Loading - Please wait ..." nothing fancy,
          > but does the
          > > job.
          > > You may like to include a hint for the user like:
          > "Initializing stage 1/10" and updating this as each stage is
          > processed.

          A notice box is a bad idea, since it halts the processing of the program.

          I would go for a dialog_modal window, if the main GUI window is already open or a dialog window, if you open the main GUI after the
          initialization is finished.

          I will create a small example, stay tuned.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2009

            > > Hi Stefan,
            > >
            > > I already tried to insert a 'notice' in the first line. But
            > > even that message took a very long time before displaying ...(?)
            > >
            > > (if this is not what you mean, could you be more specific?)
            > >
            > > Stefan
            > >
            > > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pendl"

            > > least 7 seconds)

            > > > Stefan,
            > > > this highly depends on the way your program initializes
            > > at startup.
            > > >
            > > > If possible, you could use a timer.
            > > >
            > > > You may consider opening a progress window in any case and
            > > display a message "Loading - Please wait ..." nothing fancy,
            > > but does the
            > > > job.
            > > > You may like to include a hint for the user like:
            > > "Initializing stage 1/10" and updating this as each stage is
            > > processed.
            > > >

            > A notice box is a bad idea, since it halts the processing of
            > the program.
            >
            > I would go for a dialog_modal window, if the main GUI window
            > is already open or a dialog window, if you open the main GUI after the
            > initialization is finished.
            >
            > I will create a small example, stay tuned.
            >
            > ---
            > Stefan Pendl

            Below find a simple example.

            '---code start (watch for line wraps)
            nomainwin

            WindowWidth = 350
            WindowHeight = 250

            MainWindowWidth = WindowWidth
            MainWindowHeight = WindowHeight

            UpperLeftX = (DisplayWidth-WindowWidth)/2
            UpperLeftY = (DisplayHeight-WindowHeight)/2

            open "Main GUI Window" for window as #m
            #m "trapclose [m.quit]"

            WindowWidth = 250
            WindowHeight = 70

            UpperLeftX = (MainWindowWidth-WindowWidth)/2
            UpperLeftY = (MainWindowHeight-WindowHeight)/2

            statictext #p.txt, "Initializing ... 0/10", 10, 10, 200, 20
            open "Loading - Please wait ..." for dialog_modal as #p
            #p "trapclose [nothing]"

            ' now you would do the initialization routines
            ' I do a simple timer
            stage = 0

            [next.step]
            stage = stage + 1
            #p.txt "Initializing ... "; stage; "/10"
            if stage < 10 then
            timer int(rnd(0)*1000)+500, [next.step]
            wait
            end if

            timer 0
            close #p
            [nothing]
            wait

            [m.quit]
            close #m
            end
            '---code end

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 10, 2009
              Hi Stefan,

              It looks your suggestions helps, not sure if it helps enough. But I will look into it more closely when I can try it at work (not at home)

              I will report later.

              thanks so far,

              Stefan