start up message

  • stefanhes
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2009
      Hi all,

      My software token file is 1.6 Mb.
      If my users try to start up my program (using a netwerk) it takes about 8 seconds before any reaction can be seen.

      I want at least a (popup?) window to be seen in 1 second (with the message that starting up could last for at least 7 seconds)

      How to do this?

      Stefan Hesseling

      P.S. I already have a routine to prefend impatient users to start up my program twice...
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2009

        > Hi all,
        >
        > My software token file is 1.6 Mb.
        > If my users try to start up my program (using a netwerk) it
        > takes about 8 seconds before any reaction can be seen.
        >
        > I want at least a (popup?) window to be seen in 1 second
        > (with the message that starting up could last for at least 7 seconds)
        >
        > How to do this?
        >

        > Stefan Hesseling
        >
        > P.S. I already have a routine to prefend impatient users to
        > start up my program twice...

        Stefan,
        this highly depends on the way your program initializes at startup.

        If possible, you could use a timer.

        You may consider opening a progress window in any case and display a message "Loading - Please wait ..." nothing fancy, but does the
        job.
        You may like to include a hint for the user like: "Initializing stage 1/10" and updating this as each stage is processed.

        Liberty BASIC Assist 4.03 ........ http://www.libertybasic.com/assist.html
        Liberty BASIC 4.04 public beta ... http://www.libertybasic.com/lb404b3setup.exe

        Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
        AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2GHz, 4GB RAM
      • stefanhes
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2009
          Hi Stefan,

          I already tried to insert a 'notice' in the first line. But even that message took a very long time before displaying ...(?)

          (if this is not what you mean, could you be more specific?)

          Stefan

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2009

            > Hi Stefan,
            >
            > I already tried to insert a 'notice' in the first line. But
            > even that message took a very long time before displaying ...(?)
            >
            > (if this is not what you mean, could you be more specific?)
            >
            > Stefan
            >
            > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pendl"
            > <pendl2megabit@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Hi all,
            > > >
            > > > My software token file is 1.6 Mb.
            > > > If my users try to start up my program (using a netwerk) it
            > > > takes about 8 seconds before any reaction can be seen.
            > > >
            > > > I want at least a (popup?) window to be seen in 1 second
            > > > (with the message that starting up could last for at
            > least 7 seconds)
            > > >
            > > > How to do this?
            > > >

            > > > Stefan Hesseling
            > > >
            > > > P.S. I already have a routine to prefend impatient users to
            > > > start up my program twice...
            > > >

            > > Stefan,
            > > this highly depends on the way your program initializes
            > at startup.
            > >
            > > If possible, you could use a timer.
            > >
            > > You may consider opening a progress window in any case and
            > display a message "Loading - Please wait ..." nothing fancy,
            > but does the
            > > job.
            > > You may like to include a hint for the user like:
            > "Initializing stage 1/10" and updating this as each stage is
            > processed.

            A notice box is a bad idea, since it halts the processing of the program.

            I would go for a dialog_modal window, if the main GUI window is already open or a dialog window, if you open the main GUI after the
            initialization is finished.

            I will create a small example, stay tuned.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2009

              > > Hi Stefan,
              > >
              > > I already tried to insert a 'notice' in the first line. But
              > > even that message took a very long time before displaying ...(?)
              > >
              > > (if this is not what you mean, could you be more specific?)
              > >
              > > Stefan
              > >
              > > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pendl"

              > > least 7 seconds)

              > > > Stefan,
              > > > this highly depends on the way your program initializes
              > > at startup.
              > > >
              > > > If possible, you could use a timer.
              > > >
              > > > You may consider opening a progress window in any case and
              > > display a message "Loading - Please wait ..." nothing fancy,
              > > but does the
              > > > job.
              > > > You may like to include a hint for the user like:
              > > "Initializing stage 1/10" and updating this as each stage is
              > > processed.
              > > >

              > A notice box is a bad idea, since it halts the processing of
              > the program.
              >
              > I would go for a dialog_modal window, if the main GUI window
              > is already open or a dialog window, if you open the main GUI after the
              > initialization is finished.
              >
              > I will create a small example, stay tuned.
              >
              > ---
              > Stefan Pendl

              Below find a simple example.

              '---code start (watch for line wraps)
              nomainwin

              WindowWidth = 350
              WindowHeight = 250

              MainWindowWidth = WindowWidth
              MainWindowHeight = WindowHeight

              UpperLeftX = (DisplayWidth-WindowWidth)/2
              UpperLeftY = (DisplayHeight-WindowHeight)/2

              open "Main GUI Window" for window as #m
              #m "trapclose [m.quit]"

              WindowWidth = 250
              WindowHeight = 70

              UpperLeftX = (MainWindowWidth-WindowWidth)/2
              UpperLeftY = (MainWindowHeight-WindowHeight)/2

              statictext #p.txt, "Initializing ... 0/10", 10, 10, 200, 20
              open "Loading - Please wait ..." for dialog_modal as #p
              #p "trapclose [nothing]"

              ' now you would do the initialization routines
              ' I do a simple timer
              stage = 0

              [next.step]
              stage = stage + 1
              #p.txt "Initializing ... "; stage; "/10"
              if stage < 10 then
              timer int(rnd(0)*1000)+500, [next.step]
              wait
              end if

              timer 0
              close #p
              [nothing]
              wait

              [m.quit]
              close #m
              end
              '---code end

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 10, 2009
                Hi Stefan,

                It looks your suggestions helps, not sure if it helps enough. But I will look into it more closely when I can try it at work (not at home)

                I will report later.

                thanks so far,

                Stefan