RE: [libertybasic] LB and MS Vista

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 6, 2009

      > Is there a way to make LB v4.01 work on Microsoft's Vista.
      > Or, is there a newer version of LB that is designed for Vista?

      Download the 4.04 beta for Vista compatibility from http://www.libertybasic.com/lb404b3setup.exe

    • Robert Lawson
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 6, 2009
        I believe Vista, Like Doze7 has a compatability mode doesn't it, If you
        suggest to run in that I can't see any problems, though For my money If I
        were you I'd download the Free Doze7 trial from MS and try it for yourself,
        (I only see Doze 7 as a "Vista-repaired"

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6, 2009

          > Is it reasonably safe to assume they should all work under
          > Vista. I take the trouble to only supply all the relevant
          > files in a ZIP containing a separate directory, rather that
          > run the risk of using an Installer, in view of all the
          > problems often encountered when attempting to install some
          > software under Vista.

          Since you are offering a ZIP, what do you suggest to unpack it to in the included readme file?

          I would personally unpack the files to the Program Files folder anyway, but Vista does not allow so, if UAC is enabled.
          Many people might then use their profile folder, the root folder of any disk or a clip drive.

          I would assume that it would be save to include Vista as supported version, but I would still check, if the program files are
          contained in %ProgramFiles% or %ProgramFiles(x86)% (for 32-bit applications on 64-bit Windows) and notify the user of the
          possibility that he would not be able to save the settings, since I assume you are placing files inside the installation folder.

          To make sure your program works on any Windows version, place files that are altered during program run not into the installation
          folder, but into %APPDATA%.
          This will work for Win95 up to Win7 ;-)

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2009

            > I believe Vista, Like Doze7 has a compatability mode doesn't
            > it, If you
            > suggest to run in that I can't see any problems, though For
            > my money If I
            > were you I'd download the Free Doze7 trial from MS and try it
            > for yourself,
            > (I only see Doze 7 as a "Vista-repaired"

            I would only recommend compatibility mode as a rescue, if all other things fail.

            It is always best that applications work on an OOTB installation, without anything needed to change.

            LB4.04 is fully Vista and Win7 compatible.
            LB4.03 and below needs to be installed into a folder like "C:\Shoptalk Systems\Liberty BASIC 4.0x"

            In any case you need to fully read the dialogs coming up, if a problem is encountered.
            It seems that M$ has included a notice, which will tell you that you need to install WinHelp32, if you try to open a .HLP file.
            This dialog includes a download link, but no one seems to read the dialog, so they ask how to get the help going over and over
            again.

            What is the use of such a helpful message, if people are to lazy to read ???

            Many web pages say that one should disable UAC, but why leave another door open to malicious code.
            It would have been better that M$ dropped 16-bit support with WinXP, so the whole discussion would have been already finished and no
            one would bother any more.

            Vista's UAC is only forcing developers to follow security measures, that have been introduced with Win95.

          • torpidai
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2009
              lol Stephan, reminds me of the old one :-

              There was once a young man who, in his youth, professed a desire to become a "great" writer.
              When asked to define "great" he said "I want to write stuff that the whole world will read, stuff that people will react to on a truly emotional level, stuff that will make them scream, cry, wail, howl in pain, desperation, and anger!"

              He now works for Microsoft writing error messages.
            • Gordon
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2009
                Pesonally I prefer to keep well away from simple copying any files into the Program Files Directory with any version of Windows. For example I have in the past created folders such as Wingames, Tools, even Programs, and then Desktop short cuts to all such software. That way I know none of such software needs to be installed, and I can easily backup copies to any new computer. However I did need to copy extra copies of the various VBRUNetc.DLLs to some games directories.

                I doubt any on my fairly simple efforts would fail to work with Vista, except perhaps the one to display the contents of the Special Folders, if there is a chance these folders are located somewhere different with Vista compared with XP.

                Gordon
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7, 2009

                  > I doubt any on my fairly simple efforts would fail to work
                  > with Vista, except perhaps the one to display the contents of
                  > the Special Folders, if there is a chance these folders are
                  > located somewhere different with Vista compared with XP.

                  If you use the API function SHGetSpecialFolderLocation, then your program will work on any version of Windows.
                  Sure some folders have changed their location and name, but they are all known by the system and returned by the API function.

                • torpidai
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2009
                    Has 4.04beta been moved? typical, Just as my machine decided to eat 2 drives almost simultaniously :(
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 4, 2009

                      > Has 4.04beta been moved? typical, Just as my machine decided
                      > to eat 2 drives almost simultaniously :(

                      No, it is still there, where the link in my signature points to ;-)

                      Sorry, to hear that your machine was hungry and decided to smash some drives :-(

                      Liberty BASIC Assist 4.03 ........ http://www.libertybasic.com/assist.html
                      Liberty BASIC 4.04 public beta ... http://www.libertybasic.com/lb404b3setup.exe

                      Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
                      AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2GHz
                      4GB RAM
                    • Robert Lawson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 4, 2009
                        Thank you Stephan, Next Time I'll get the Manufacturer updates for the
                        machine before screaming "The Sky is falling".

                        Many Thanks.

                        --
                        Mick (Torpidai)