Release Notes

  • jonmdon2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
      Seems I can't get this branch to work. I wrote "Release Notes" in txt
      and saved the branch as [release]. I put the command in the 'Menu
      File' like so:

      menu #main, "&Help","&About", [about],|, "Release Notes",_
      release], "About Harp", [harp]

      (...line break added here).

      the branch code is:

      [release]
      open "release.txt" for input as #one
      input #one, txt$
      print txt$
      close #one
      wait

      The branch code works by itself and brings up a text I saved. The
      branch does not work when attempted at the menu.
      Where am I going wrong?

      Thanks,
      Jon
    • psycho_bullet_stopper
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "jonmdon2001" <jonmdon2001@...>
        wrote:

        > Seems I can't get this branch to work. I wrote "Release Notes" in txt
        > and saved the branch as [release]. I put the command in the 'Menu
        > File' like so:
        >
        > menu #main, "&Help","&About", [about],|, "Release Notes",_
        > release], "About Harp", [harp]
        >

        > (...line break added here).
        >
        > the branch code is:
        >
        > [release]
        > open "release.txt" for input as #one
        > input #one, txt$
        > print txt$
        > close #one
        > wait
        >

        > The branch code works by itself and brings up a text I saved. The
        > branch does not work when attempted at the menu.
        > Where am I going wrong?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jon

        Jon,

        The only thing I see wrong with your code is you're missing a bracket
        in front of release....[release].
        That may just be from posting on this page as it wouldn't compile
        with that error.

        I took your code and it worked here:

        '[Code Starts]

        menu #main, "&Help","&About", [about],|, "Release Notes",_
        [release], "About Harp", [harp]
        WindowWidth=200
        WindowHeight=200
        nomainwin
        textbox #main.test, 20, 100, 100, 25
        open "test" for window as #main
        #main, "trapclose [quit]"
        wait

        [about]
        #main.test, "Here I am at About"
        wait

        [harp]
        #main.test, "Made it to Harp"
        wait

        [release]
        #main.test, "Release is good"
        wait

        [quit]
        close #main
        end

        '[Code Ends]

        John "Psycho" Siejkowski
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008

          > Seems I can't get this branch to work. I wrote "Release Notes" in txt
          > and saved the branch as [release]. I put the command in the 'Menu
          > File' like so:
          >
          > menu #main, "&Help","&About", [about],|, "Release Notes",_
          > release], "About Harp", [harp]

          ---snip

          > [release]
          > open "release.txt" for input as #one
          > input #one, txt$
          > print txt$
          > close #one
          > wait
          >
          > The branch code works by itself and brings up a text I saved. The
          > branch does not work when attempted at the menu.
          > Where am I going wrong?

          Seems you are mixing GUI with Console code.
          If you are using NOMAINWIN, the Console will be invisible, so you will not see anything.

          I would use the following:

          '---code start (watch for line wraps)
          [release]
          open "release.txt" for input as #one
          txt$ = input$(#one, lof(#one))
          close #one
          notice "Release Notes"; chr$(13); txt$
          wait
          '---code end

          Using INPUT$(), you can format the message in the text file and display it in the NOTICE box.