Re: I'm getting back into programming and would like to know if...

  • dtwins89
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
      Thanks for all of the replies! I did some more digging and did find
      some useful tutorials for BASIC. I'm using JustBasic right now, and
      so far it's worked fine, for the most part, in following the tutorials
      that I found. Back in my high school programming class, we did get to
      doing graphics windows and just barely got into making some games
      (like one where I'd move a paddle back and forth on the bottom of the
      screen with a key on the keyboard, and a ball would 'bounce' off of
      it...but that took a lot of work and a lot of bugs were involved).
      So, that's where I got to, BUT, I definitely forgot most of the stuff
      leading up to that. So it's been helpful starting from the very
      beginning, and I think I will try to stick with this and at least
      're-learn' enough to make a fun program with just text. Maybe
      something with graphics eventually.

      Also...I'm going to an art college, starting this August, and
      eventually while there I could go into web or 'multimedia' development
      (and they might even have a game design major soon, maybe). So I know
      HTML is something else I should look at (I tried it a long time ago).
      My brother's trying to learn it right now, actually, and he's having
      fun, so if I have time I'll probably try to check that out too. Right
      now I'm sort of just having fun trying something that's 'sort of' new
      to me, and could possibly be useful to me in the future, maybe even in
      making some new, unique type of art, who knows? :)

      --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Lannie Walker <lannie1@...> wrote:

      > From 1956-1991 I was a professional programmer, and after Basic
      > arrived I found various basics handy for quick checks for algorithms
      > that I developed in programming for Main Frame and medium sized
      computers
      > using both assembly and Fortran. It was just much faster for me and
      was a
      > big help. I also used it in developing micro programs for embedded
      > processor applications.
      > Lannie Walker
      > W. D. Allen wrote:
      > >
      > > For what it's worth...
      > >
      > > I was an aerospace engineer who wanted to write computer programs,
      but
      > > did not want to spend the time becoming a professional programmer. I
      > > tried almost every BASIC programming system available, but I
      > > repeatedly came back to Liberty Basic.
      > >
      > > Liberty Basic is easy to use even for a nonprogrammer. The tutorial
      > > provided free is easy enough for middle high school students to
      > > master. Quickly writing and debugging GUI programs is very easy.
      There
      > > are few if any obscure compilation operations that need to be
      mastered
      > > to achieve stand alone programs. You can learn BASIC programming with
      > > the free Liberty Basic version, however to write stand alone programs
      > > you purchase the registered version. And its price is certainly fair!
      > > There is also an internet web page programming version called RUN
      BASIC.