I'm getting back into programming and would like to know if...

  • dtwins89
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2008
      I only ever did very basic, er, BASIC, in one programming class, but I
      am interested in giving it a try again. I would really like to start
      with some beginner tutorials, or lessons, and I'd like to know if
      there's anything available for free out there that can help me do
      this. I tried a little searching myself, but all I found so far was a
      link to a $43 package that apparently included Liberty BASIC itself
      and some lessons, I think. So I kind of gave up searching, because I
      figured that I'd only find more stuff that I'd have to pay for.

      Thanks in advance...
    • David Speck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
        DT,

        You can start with JustBASIC, which is a slightly simplified form of LB,
        and is free. The tutorials included with LB are also very helpful.

        However, the investment in the full LB package is definitely worthwhile.
        The language is very powerful, yet is a readily approachable pathway
        to learning event driven Windows programming, which is a whole 'nother
        thing compared with the command line BASIC systems of the past.

        Support on this list and on the LB Conforums is excellent. How many
        other programming languages have the actual author of the language
        monitors the newsgroup, and actually respond when no one else beats him
        to it?

        HTH,

        Dave

        dtwins89 wrote:
        > I only ever did very basic, er, BASIC, in one programming class, but I
        > am interested in giving it a try again. I would really like to start
        > with some beginner tutorials, or lessons, and I'd like to know if
        > there's anything available for free out there that can help me do
        > this. I tried a little searching myself, but all I found so far was a
        > link to a $43 package that apparently included Liberty BASIC itself
        > and some lessons, I think. So I kind of gave up searching, because I
        > figured that I'd only find more stuff that I'd have to pay for.
        >
        > Thanks in advance...
      • Gordon Sweet
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
          I alway suggest as a beginner you start by just using the Mainwindow of JB or LB before you rush into opening any Graphic, or Text etc windows. But you not be able to use any of the Graphics functions. Once you manage to get a simple text based program to work, then learn how to open say a Graphics window, which are easier to change colours and employ multiple fonts, than with a text etc window.

          Gordon

        • W. D. Allen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
            For what it's worth...

            I was an aerospace engineer who wanted to write computer programs, but did not want to spend the time becoming a professional programmer. I tried almost every BASIC programming system available, but I repeatedly came back to Liberty Basic.

            Liberty Basic is easy to use even for a nonprogrammer. The tutorial provided free is easy enough for middle high school students to master. Quickly writing and debugging GUI programs is very easy. There are few if any obscure compilation operations that need to be mastered to achieve stand alone programs. You can learn BASIC programming with the free Liberty Basic version, however to write stand alone programs you purchase the registered version. And its price is certainly fair! There is also an internet web page programming version called RUN BASIC.

            Carl Gundel, the author of Liberty Basic makes himself available to Liberty Basic users to answer the obscure questions we can't find answers to in the tutorial, the help files, or in the forums (just keep in mind Carl is busy developing newer versions of Liberty Basic to make our programming lives easier). Additionally, Liberty Basic has plenty of really knowledgeable users like Alyce Watson who contribute to the mastering Liberty Basic by us neophytes.

            You won't go wrong starting with Liberty Basic nor staying with it after you master it. Just keep in mind you won't become a master programmer of cryptic operating systems, etc., but can become a productive journeyman programmer solving real world problems.

            Nuf said,

            Bill Allen

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
              From 1956-1991 I was a professional programmer, and after Basic
              arrived I found various basics handy for quick checks for algorithms
              that I developed in programming for Main Frame and medium sized computers
              using both assembly and Fortran. It was just much faster for me and was a
              big help. I also used it in developing micro programs for embedded
              processor applications.
              Lannie Walker
              W. D. Allen wrote:

              > For what it's worth...
              >
              > I was an aerospace engineer who wanted to write computer programs, but
              > did not want to spend the time becoming a professional programmer. I
              > tried almost every BASIC programming system available, but I
              > repeatedly came back to Liberty Basic.
              >
              > Liberty Basic is easy to use even for a nonprogrammer. The tutorial
              > provided free is easy enough for middle high school students to
              > master. Quickly writing and debugging GUI programs is very easy. There
              > are few if any obscure compilation operations that need to be mastered
              > to achieve stand alone programs. You can learn BASIC programming with
              > the free Liberty Basic version, however to write stand alone programs
              > you purchase the registered version. And its price is certainly fair!
              > There is also an internet web page programming version called RUN BASIC.
              >
              > Carl Gundel, the author of Liberty Basic makes himself available to
              > Liberty Basic users to answer the obscure questions we can't find
              > answers to in the tutorial, the help files, or in the forums (just
              > keep in mind Carl is busy developing newer versions of Liberty Basic
              > to make our programming lives easier). Additionally, Liberty Basic has
              > plenty of really knowledgeable users like Alyce Watson who contribute
              > to the mastering Liberty Basic by us neophytes.
              >
              > You won't go wrong starting with Liberty Basic nor staying with it
              > after you master it. Just keep in mind you won't become a master
              > programmer of cryptic operating systems, etc., but can become a
              > productive journeyman programmer solving real world problems.
              >
              > Nuf said,
              >
              > Bill Allen
              >
              > end

              www.lanniewalker.com
              http://lanniewalker.no-ip.biz (8:00Am - 11:00PM daily)
              www.myspace.com/lanniewalker
            • dtwins89
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
                Thanks for all of the replies! I did some more digging and did find
                some useful tutorials for BASIC. I'm using JustBasic right now, and
                so far it's worked fine, for the most part, in following the tutorials
                that I found. Back in my high school programming class, we did get to
                doing graphics windows and just barely got into making some games
                (like one where I'd move a paddle back and forth on the bottom of the
                screen with a key on the keyboard, and a ball would 'bounce' off of
                it...but that took a lot of work and a lot of bugs were involved).
                So, that's where I got to, BUT, I definitely forgot most of the stuff
                leading up to that. So it's been helpful starting from the very
                beginning, and I think I will try to stick with this and at least
                're-learn' enough to make a fun program with just text. Maybe
                something with graphics eventually.

                Also...I'm going to an art college, starting this August, and
                eventually while there I could go into web or 'multimedia' development
                (and they might even have a game design major soon, maybe). So I know
                HTML is something else I should look at (I tried it a long time ago).
                My brother's trying to learn it right now, actually, and he's having
                fun, so if I have time I'll probably try to check that out too. Right
                now I'm sort of just having fun trying something that's 'sort of' new
                to me, and could possibly be useful to me in the future, maybe even in
                making some new, unique type of art, who knows? :)