strategy for finding information

  • tom200114127
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2008
      This is a general question on searching for previously asked and
      answered questions.

      Is this forum like an archive going back several years? I see there is
      another forum that Liberty Basic uses? That seems to have several
      different moderators. What is the difference in the two forums? Is
      that other forum an archive?

      Also I see the encyclopedia mentioned on the website. What does that
      do?

      There are links on the website. Some seem to be specially connected to
      Liberty Basic as if they were an off-shoot of the main site? Any
      comments about these links?

      Let me give you a search question. For some reason my laptop doesn't
      support the beep command. So if I was looking to find an alternative
      what would be a good place to find the answer or even some source code
      to use. Thanks
    • Bill Lopez
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2008
        See PLAYWAVE in the help file.

        [code]

        [again]
        TIMER 1000, [cont]
        WAIT
        [cont]
        TIMER 0
        PLAYWAVE "ding.wav"
        SCAN
        GOTO [again]

        END

        [/code]

        You can put any sound into your project folder and call it with PLAYWAVE or PLAYMIDI.

        The LB Forum is similar to the LB Yahoo users group, also similar to the LB Wiki. Personally, I prefer the forum for questions and answers, but all are useful.

      • psycho_bullet_stopper
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2008
          I usually use this on computers that don't support the BEEP command:
          PLAYWAVE "default", sync

          John aka Psycho

          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "tom200114127"

          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2008

            > This is a general question on searching for previously asked and
            > answered questions.
            >
            > Is this forum like an archive going back several years? I
            > see there is
            > another forum that Liberty Basic uses? That seems to have several
            > different moderators. What is the difference in the two forums? Is
            > that other forum an archive?
            >
            > Also I see the encyclopedia mentioned on the website. What does that
            > do?
            >
            > There are links on the website. Some seem to be specially
            > connected to
            > Liberty Basic as if they were an off-shoot of the main site? Any
            > comments about these links?
            >
            > Let me give you a search question. For some reason my laptop doesn't
            > support the beep command. So if I was looking to find an alternative
            > what would be a good place to find the answer or even some
            > source code to use. Thanks

            The BEEP and PRINTERDIALOG commands are broken on Windows XP and later releases, this is due to a change in Windows.
            Carl has tried to get them working, but failed, he might be able to fix them in the next major release, since he uses a different
            tool to develop LB.

            The Yahoo! group is a mailing list and can be searched back to its beginnings.
            This group is the main support group and maintained by Carl.

            The conforums forum is a structured bulletin board, you can search there too, but you must define the days you like to search
            backwards, there is a notice at the top of each page.
            This group is maintained by the LB community members.

            The Wiki pages are collections of information.
            The encyclopedia is the replacement of the newsletters, where you can submit articles, which get approved by the organizers.

          • zoomkat
            Message 5 of 7 , May 8, 2008
              <tom200114127@...> wrote:

              > Let me give you a search question. For some reason my laptop
              doesn't
              > support the beep command. So if I was looking to find an
              alternative
              > what would be a good place to find the answer or even some source
              code
              > to use. Thanks

              You might try the below on your laptop (works on mine).

              nomainwin
              open "beep.bat" for output as #1
              print #1, "@echo off"
              print #1, "echo ";
              print #1, chr$(7); chr$(7); chr$(7); chr$(7);
              close #1
              run "beep.bat", hide
            • tom200114127
              Message 6 of 7 , May 9, 2008
                That works for me. But open "beep.bat" for output as #1 what am i
                opening here- "for output" what is this? Thanks.

                Message 7 of 7 , May 9, 2008

                  > That works for me. But open "beep.bat" for output as #1 what am i
                  > opening here- "for output" what is this? Thanks.

                  You will find reading the help file topic about file operations helpful.

                  The example by zoomkat create a sequential file, the extension .BAT indicates that it is a batch file, which has a special meaning
                  for Windows, you will find plenty of information on the net about this file type.

                  The batch file contains some DOS commands, which are executed, when the batch file is launched with the RUN command.
                  The character with the ASCII number seven is a short sound known as bell, search the web for "ASCII table" and you will find out
                  more.