Re: [libertybasic] I just bought Beginning Programming FOR Dummies 3RD EDITION

  • Michael Gallup
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2008
      I have programmed in many languages: 1982- 1992 and lost contact with programming after that until now. Liberty basic gives me some hope of having the flexibility to make programs that were as useful as those i created in GWBASIC, QBASIC, TURBO PASCAL 6 AND 7, and previous languages. I am
      currently trying to relate my experience in basic to liberty basic. It is hard because liberty basic is more demanding in its program structure. I wish I could
      have the same flexibility as on qbasic and turbo pascal. I dont recomend linux based machines because of compatibility issues. A friend of mine has it on her computer and has nothing but problems with hardware, internet, and software.
      I almost got a linux based computer for its speed on the internet. It needs to be improved more.

      rngetter <rngetter@...> wrote:
      I bought it without the CD, but in the book it told me that I could
      gladly download libertybasic for free by visiting www.libertybasic.com
      .. I decided to buy the book as I do not use windows and would love to
      learn some linux programming, but I have painfully discovered that the
      only download offered is a windows based .exe. My distro of Xubuntu
      came with python. Is this going to be compatible? Has anyone made
      liberty basic for linux?? I figured being as its shareware (no clue if
      its open source) then someone must have made it for linux.

    • David Speck
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
        Michael,

        LB is more complicated in some ways than QBASIC because it works in a
        Windows environment, which in turn is far more complicated than the old
        DOS environment.

        The nice thing about LB is that you don't HAVE to use all the windows
        features and event driven programming structure. I have written many
        fully useful programs, including some 10,000 line monsters, that could
        be running just as effectively from punch card decks on the old IBM
        System 360 that I started on in 1971. They are ugly, but they do the job.

        However, as you gain experience with LB, it is easy to add feature like
        windows, list boxes, drop boxes, mouse commands, and an event driven
        architecture that never would have been possible under QBASIC. Indeed,
        many of your QBASIC programs will drop in and run under LB with a
        minimum of modification.

        LB is no more demanding in program structure than any other BASIC.
        However, you write spaghetti code at your own peril. Well organized
        code is just easier to write, debug, modify and maintain, so learning
        good programming practices is a good thing regardless of the language
        you use.

        Keep at it. The folks on this forum are very helpful when you get stuck.

        Dave

        Michael Gallup wrote:
        > I have programmed in many languages: 1982- 1992 and lost contact with programming after that until now. Liberty basic gives me some hope of having the flexibility to make programs that were as useful as those i created in GWBASIC, QBASIC, TURBO PASCAL 6 AND 7, and previous languages. I am
        > currently trying to relate my experience in basic to liberty basic. It is hard because liberty basic is more demanding in its program structure. I wish I could
        > have the same flexibility as on qbasic and turbo pascal. I dont recomend linux based machines because of compatibility issues. A friend of mine has it on her computer and has nothing but problems with hardware, internet, and software.
        > I almost got a linux based computer for its speed on the internet. It needs to be improved more.
      • W. D. Allen
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
          Check http://www.libertybasic.com/ for answers to both your questions.

          Long time Liberty Basic user,