Poor Liberty Basic Customer Support

  • mike_collins_23
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
      Hi, A colleague ordered Liberty Basic Gold Plus and Assist and has
      received his codes via e-mail to activate the licences but has not
      received his CD with LB Companion etc.

      He has e-mailed feedback@... but didn't even receive a
      reply.

      Does anyone know who he should contact ?

      Thanks,

      Mike Collins
    • Carl Gundel
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
        > Hi, A colleague ordered Liberty Basic Gold Plus and Assist and has
        > received his codes via e-mail to activate the licences but has not
        > received his CD with LB Companion etc.
        >
        > He has e-mailed feedback@... but didn't even receive a
        > reply.
        >
        > Does anyone know who he should contact ?

        Hi Mike,

        This is a good place to post this information.

        Unfortunately email delivery poses challenging problems these days. It
        takes very little provocation for SPAM filters to block email going
        either way. I check my SPAM folder daily, but with the huge volume of
        SPAM that I get it isn't hard to miss some valid email. Also, my
        replies are also often tossed in the SPAM folder. Has your friend
        checked his SPAM folder?

        So, I apologize that this happened and I'm happy to make this right, but
        I don't even know who your colleague is. Why don't you send me the
        information personally at carlg@... and I'll take care of
        it?

        -Carl
      • mike_collins_23
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Gundel" <carlg@...> wrote:

          > > Hi, A colleague ordered Liberty Basic Gold Plus and Assist and has
          > > received his codes via e-mail to activate the licences but has not
          > > received his CD with LB Companion etc.
          > >
          > > He has e-mailed feedback@... but didn't even receive a
          > > reply.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know who he should contact ?
          >
          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > This is a good place to post this information.
          >
          > Unfortunately email delivery poses challenging problems these
          days. It
          > takes very little provocation for SPAM filters to block email going
          > either way. I check my SPAM folder daily, but with the huge volume
          of
          > SPAM that I get it isn't hard to miss some valid email. Also, my
          > replies are also often tossed in the SPAM folder. Has your friend
          > checked his SPAM folder?
          >
          > So, I apologize that this happened and I'm happy to make this
          right, but
          > I don't even know who your colleague is. Why don't you send me the
          > information personally at carlg@... and I'll take care of
          > it?
          >
          > -Carl

          Carl,

          I forwarded your e-mail to my colleague Colin Evans
          (colin.evans@...) and he sent you some information on 26
          November. He hasn't had a reply yet. Unfortunately we have no access
          to our companies filtered spam but I am assured by our IT dept. that
          it shouldn't filter out wanted e-mails (should I believe that ?).
          Perhaps you can confirm if you have received his message and whether
          you have replied yet.

          Thanks,

          Mike
        • Lorne Russell
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
            Since we are on the topic of customer service:

            I purchased a gold registration for 4.03 My computer died and I purchased a new computer with Vista. I have downloaded and installed 4.03 but it won't take my old registration code.

            I emailed about this in July, August and September of this year and received no reply.

            I am getting rather tired of dealing with the nag screens and would like to get my program registered.

            Carl - you can email me directly lorneokb@...

            > > Hi, A colleague ordered Liberty Basic Gold Plus and Assist and has
            > > received his codes via e-mail to activate the licences but has not
            > > received his CD with LB Companion etc.
            > >
            > > He has e-mailed feedback@... but didn't even receive a
            > > reply.
            > >
            > > Does anyone know who he should contact ?
            >
            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > This is a good place to post this information.
            >
            > Unfortunately email delivery poses challenging problems these
            days. It
            > takes very little provocation for SPAM filters to block email going
            > either way. I check my SPAM folder daily, but with the huge volume
            of
            > SPAM that I get it isn't hard to miss some valid email. Also, my
            > replies are also often tossed in the SPAM folder. Has your friend
            > checked his SPAM folder?
            >
            > So, I apologize that this happened and I'm happy to make this
            right, but
            > I don't even know who your colleague is. Why don't you send me the
            > information personally at carlg@... and I'll take care of
            > it?
            >
            > -Carl

            Carl,

            I forwarded your e-mail to my colleague Colin Evans
            (colin.evans@...) and he sent you some information on 26
            November. He hasn't had a reply yet. Unfortunately we have no access
            to our companies filtered spam but I am assured by our IT dept. that
            it shouldn't filter out wanted e-mails (should I believe that ?).
            Perhaps you can confirm if you have received his message and whether
            you have replied yet.

            Thanks,

            Mike

          • Bill Lopez
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
              Most likely, that is a characteristic of Vista, Lorne. I have LB installed on my laptop (Vista) using the original user name and activation SN. It works fine. The difference is, instead of installing in C:/Program Files/Liberty Basic, you should install it in C:/Liberty Basic, a folder all to itself. Vista seems to protect all applications located within Program Files, and will not allow "writing" to those applications.

              Good luck to you!

            • Lorne Russell
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                I tried that. I have it installed in both places and neither will register.

                Lorne Russell
                OKbridge Club Manager

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                  Oops! Sorry about that, Lorne. Is it possible you've made a typo in user name or registration SN? Do you still have the original email on file?

                  Sorry I can't give you any more suggestions.... I never had a problem with mine and haven't really looked into your trouble.

                • Carl Gundel
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                    Liberty BASIC can be used with Vista.

                    When you install Liberty BASIC on Vista do not install into the Program
                    Files folder (this is the default). Instead install into a root folder
                    like c:\LB4 for example.

                    To use the registration code, start Liberty BASIC up using the Run as
                    administrator option. Then use the Setup menu to register. Once this is
                    done you should not need to use the Run as administrator option again.

                    Vista no longer reads old Windows helpfiles. Pretty strange, but true. To
                    fix this download and install the old helpfile viewer. Use Google and
                    search for:

                    vista winhlp32.exe download

                    -Carl
                  • Carl Gundel
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                      From: "mike_collins_23" <mike.c@...>
                      > Carl,
                      >
                      > I forwarded your e-mail to my colleague Colin Evans
                      > (colin.evans@...) and he sent you some information on 26
                      > November. He hasn't had a reply yet. Unfortunately we have no access
                      > to our companies filtered spam but I am assured by our IT dept. that
                      > it shouldn't filter out wanted e-mails (should I believe that ?).
                      > Perhaps you can confirm if you have received his message and whether
                      > you have replied yet.

                      So he did. My fault entirely. I have just responded to him directly.

                      As to the matter of email that mysteriously disappears into a black hole on
                      the internet, it happens all the time. It seems like several times a week I
                      have to deal with this issue. Perhaps it is easier to notice when you have
                      lots and lots of email every day.

                      -Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
                      http://www.libertybasic.com
                    • Ron Spruell
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                        How much more help could anyone want. Double positives Oooo wel with me it
                        could get worse.<BG>

                        Ron Spruell Sr.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                          Once I found the "Run as Administrator" option everything went fine.
                          And the help file is working now too.

                          Thanks,

                          Lorne

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                            --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Carl Gundel <carlg@...> wrote:
                            > When you install Liberty BASIC on Vista do not install into the
                            > Program Files folder...
                            > [snip]
                            > To use the registration code, start Liberty BASIC up using the
                            > Run as administrator option.

                            I hope I may be allowed a small criticism, without being booted off the
                            group, but I really think you should explain (or give a link to) why
                            doing these things is *bad practice*. It is useful to have them as a
                            workaround for the problems with LB running under Vista, but they are
                            no substitute for a version of LB which is properly Vista-compliant.

                            Richard.
                          • Carl Gundel
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                              It seems like I will need to send out a notice to existing Liberty
                              BASIC customers to let them know how to install on Vista.

                              -Carl

                              On Nov 30, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Lorne Russell wrote:

                              > Once I found the "Run as Administrator" option everything went fine.
                              > And the help file is working now too.
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > Lorne

                            • Carl Gundel
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                                Richard,

                                There is no reason to expect that I shall boot you from the group for
                                making such a comment.

                                These measures are needed for Vista for released versions of Liberty
                                BASIC because Microsoft has decided to turn on various security
                                measures (if you can call them that) in Vista. Future versions of
                                Liberty BASIC will not need any special knowledge to install and use on
                                Vista. I do not consider these things to be "bad practice" as you put
                                it, but rather they are helpful workarounds if you want to use Liberty
                                BASIC while waiting for a more Vista compliant LB.

                                -Carl