RE: [libertybasic] Windows Vista

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007

      > I'm sure all he meant was that if the precautions Carl
      > mentioned were followed it would run. I just want to make
      > sure I don't lock the new computer up right away then have to
      > re-boot or use the three fingered salute and then removed the
      > program. No big deal except it's new and you know how that is
      > I'm sure.<BG>

      Based on my limited experience with Vista, the only thing I can say is, that
      applications won't run or install hanging the system is the least effect I
      have heard of.

    • marc.sabau
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 14, 2007
        Hi Friends,

        Can somebody tell me how to sort out a list of names in alphabetical
        order? I knew how to do it twenty years ago, but I've lost the
        algorithm and the Basic Books in which I had got the way, and I'm in a
        hurry because of the time which remains to me to finish a program a
        friend is waiting for.

        Thousands thanks for your help. I wish you all a nice day.

        Marc of France.
      • thefrasers
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 14, 2007
          marc.sabau wrote:
          > Hi Friends,
          > Can somebody tell me how to sort out a list of names in alphabetical
          > order?
          Liberty has its own sort function. The following code will sort the
          array name$ into alphabetical order.

          'Code starts here
          dim name$(4)
          name$(0)="Doug"
          name$(1)="Pete"
          name$(2)="John"
          name$(3)="Simon"
          name$(4)="Alan"

          sort name$(), 0, 4 'sort items 0 through 99
          for x = 0 to 4
          print name$(x)
          next x
          end
          'Code ends here
        • Gus Rabson
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 14, 2007
            Salut Marc

            Input 0 (zero) when you have finished inputting the names

            You can change the INPUT statement to a READ statement.

            'code
            dim A$(100)

            Let k = 1
            [start] input name$
            If name$ = "0" then goto [repeat]
            let A$(k) = name$
            let k = k + 1
            goto [start]

            [repeat] flag = 0
            for n = 1 to k
            If A$(n+1) >= A$(n) then goto [next]

            [swap] Let flag = 1
            Let C$ = A$(n+1)
            Let A$(n+1) = A$(n)
            Let A$(n) = C$
            [next] next n

            If flag = 1 then goto [repeat]
            print

            For n = 1 to k+1
            Print A$(n)
            next n

            'code end

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 15, 2007
              Marc,

              See the sort function in help.

              Vance

              marc.sabau wrote:

              >Hi Friends,
              >
              > Can somebody tell me how to sort out a list of names in alphabetical
              >order? I knew how to do it twenty years ago, but I've lost the
              >algorithm and the Basic Books in which I had got the way, and I'm in a
              >hurry because of the time which remains to me to finish a program a
              >friend is waiting for.
              >
              > Thousands thanks for your help. I wish you all a nice day.
              >
              >Marc of France.
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • John Roberts
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 15, 2007
                Marc,

                I think you might be looking for the old "bubble sort" algorithm. I
                would bet you could find many versions of this on the net - but here
                is one written in old gwbasic format - which can easily be revised
                to LB. Of course, as the previous poster points out LB has its own
                sort - but then that takes the "fun" out of it - right? LOL

                10 rem Dimension your array to handle the max number of items you
                11 rem may have
                12 dim a$(100)
                14 rem get the values to be sorted - from the user
                15 print "Type 999 when finished"
                20 input g$
                22 if val(g$)=999 then 30
                25 n=n+1
                26 a$(n)=g$
                28 goto 20
                30 rem sort the array
                32 er=0
                35 for t = 2 to n
                36 if a$(t-1)<=a$(t) then 50
                38 rem flip values
                40 h$=a$(t-1)
                41 a$(t-1)=a$(t)
                42 a$(t)=h$
                43 er=1
                44 rem er marks the fact that a flip has occurred
                45 rem and so you have to do the loop again to ensure
                46 rem everything is sorted (or not)
                49 rem
                50 rem skip flip (not needed)
                52 next t
                55 if er=1 then goto 32
                60 rem everything is now sorted and can be printed (optional)
                65 for t = 1 to n
                67 print t,a$(t)
                70 next t
                80 end

                * * Glad to help - john

                --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, thefrasers <thefrasers@...>
                wrote:

                > marc.sabau wrote:
                > > Hi Friends,
                > > Can somebody tell me how to sort out a list of names in
                alphabetical
                > > order?
              • John Roberts
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 15, 2007
                  Marc,

                  wrote:

                  > marc.sabau wrote:
                  > > Hi Friends,
                  > > Can somebody tell me how to sort out a list of names in
                  alphabetical
                  > > order?
                • thefrasers
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 15, 2007
                    John Roberts wrote:
                    > Marc,
                    > I think you might be looking for the old "bubble sort" algorithm.
                    Marc,

                    If you are looking for search algorithms, check wikipedia. It has the
                    pseudocode for bubblesort, heapsort, quicksort and more.

                    Nick
                  • Bill Lopez
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 15, 2007
                      Or go here for 9 sorting algorithms from the LB Newsletter in June of 2000. http://babek.info/libertybasicfiles/lbnews/nl50/seventyfive.html#Anchor9

                      For my money, none of the algorithms you can write will be as fast as the native SORT function within LB.