RE: [libertybasic] Windows Vista

  • Ron Spruell
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
      I'm sure all he meant was that if the precautions Carl mentioned were
      followed it would run. I just want to make sure I don't lock the new
      computer up right away then have to re-boot or use the three fingered salute
      and then removed the program. No big deal except it's new and you know how
      that is I'm sure.<BG>

      Ron Spruell

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007

        > I'm sure all he meant was that if the precautions Carl
        > mentioned were followed it would run. I just want to make
        > sure I don't lock the new computer up right away then have to
        > re-boot or use the three fingered salute and then removed the
        > program. No big deal except it's new and you know how that is
        > I'm sure.<BG>

        Based on my limited experience with Vista, the only thing I can say is, that
        applications won't run or install hanging the system is the least effect I
        have heard of.

      • marc.sabau
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 14, 2007
          Hi Friends,

          Can somebody tell me how to sort out a list of names in alphabetical
          order? I knew how to do it twenty years ago, but I've lost the
          algorithm and the Basic Books in which I had got the way, and I'm in a
          hurry because of the time which remains to me to finish a program a
          friend is waiting for.

          Thousands thanks for your help. I wish you all a nice day.

          Marc of France.
        • thefrasers
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 14, 2007
            marc.sabau wrote:
            > Hi Friends,
            > Can somebody tell me how to sort out a list of names in alphabetical
            > order?
            Liberty has its own sort function. The following code will sort the
            array name$ into alphabetical order.

            'Code starts here
            dim name$(4)
            name$(0)="Doug"
            name$(1)="Pete"
            name$(2)="John"
            name$(3)="Simon"
            name$(4)="Alan"

            sort name$(), 0, 4 'sort items 0 through 99
            for x = 0 to 4
            print name$(x)
            next x
            end
            'Code ends here
          • Gus Rabson
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 14, 2007
              Salut Marc

              Input 0 (zero) when you have finished inputting the names

              You can change the INPUT statement to a READ statement.

              'code
              dim A$(100)

              Let k = 1
              [start] input name$
              If name$ = "0" then goto [repeat]
              let A$(k) = name$
              let k = k + 1
              goto [start]

              [repeat] flag = 0
              for n = 1 to k
              If A$(n+1) >= A$(n) then goto [next]

              [swap] Let flag = 1
              Let C$ = A$(n+1)
              Let A$(n+1) = A$(n)
              Let A$(n) = C$
              [next] next n

              If flag = 1 then goto [repeat]
              print

              For n = 1 to k+1
              Print A$(n)
              next n

              'code end

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 15, 2007
                Marc,

                See the sort function in help.

                Vance

                marc.sabau wrote:

                >Hi Friends,
                >
                > Can somebody tell me how to sort out a list of names in alphabetical
                >order? I knew how to do it twenty years ago, but I've lost the
                >algorithm and the Basic Books in which I had got the way, and I'm in a
                >hurry because of the time which remains to me to finish a program a
                >friend is waiting for.
                >
                > Thousands thanks for your help. I wish you all a nice day.
                >
                >Marc of France.
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • John Roberts
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 15, 2007
                  Marc,

                  I think you might be looking for the old "bubble sort" algorithm. I
                  would bet you could find many versions of this on the net - but here
                  is one written in old gwbasic format - which can easily be revised
                  to LB. Of course, as the previous poster points out LB has its own
                  sort - but then that takes the "fun" out of it - right? LOL

                  10 rem Dimension your array to handle the max number of items you
                  11 rem may have
                  12 dim a$(100)
                  14 rem get the values to be sorted - from the user
                  15 print "Type 999 when finished"
                  20 input g$
                  22 if val(g$)=999 then 30
                  25 n=n+1
                  26 a$(n)=g$
                  28 goto 20
                  30 rem sort the array
                  32 er=0
                  35 for t = 2 to n
                  36 if a$(t-1)<=a$(t) then 50
                  38 rem flip values
                  40 h$=a$(t-1)
                  41 a$(t-1)=a$(t)
                  42 a$(t)=h$
                  43 er=1
                  44 rem er marks the fact that a flip has occurred
                  45 rem and so you have to do the loop again to ensure
                  46 rem everything is sorted (or not)
                  49 rem
                  50 rem skip flip (not needed)
                  52 next t
                  55 if er=1 then goto 32
                  60 rem everything is now sorted and can be printed (optional)
                  65 for t = 1 to n
                  67 print t,a$(t)
                  70 next t
                  80 end

                  * * Glad to help - john

                  --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, thefrasers <thefrasers@...>
                  wrote:

                  > marc.sabau wrote:
                  > > Hi Friends,
                  > > Can somebody tell me how to sort out a list of names in
                  alphabetical
                  > > order?
                • John Roberts
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 15, 2007

                    wrote:

                    > marc.sabau wrote:
                    > > Hi Friends,
                    > > Can somebody tell me how to sort out a list of names in
                    alphabetical
                    > > order?
                  • thefrasers
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 15, 2007
                      John Roberts wrote:
                      > Marc,
                      > I think you might be looking for the old "bubble sort" algorithm.
                      Marc,

                      If you are looking for search algorithms, check wikipedia. It has the
                      pseudocode for bubblesort, heapsort, quicksort and more.

                      Nick
                    • Bill Lopez
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 15, 2007
                        Or go here for 9 sorting algorithms from the LB Newsletter in June of 2000. http://babek.info/libertybasicfiles/lbnews/nl50/seventyfive.html#Anchor9

                        For my money, none of the algorithms you can write will be as fast as the native SORT function within LB.