  • Keith Nance
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 11, 2007
      I know this topic has been covered but could someone point me in the
      right direction? I want to open and read a CSV file.

      Thanks!
    • rod_bird001
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 12, 2007
        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Nance" <fuego@...> wrote:

        > I know this topic has been covered but could someone point me in
        the
        > right direction? I want to open and read a CSV file.
        >
        > Thanks!

        look at file operations and sequential files in the help file

        INPUTTO$

        open "test.csv" for input as #1

        txt$ = INPUTTO$(#1, ",") 'use a comma as delimiter

        print "INPUTTO$ item is: ";txt$

        close #1
      • Zachary Antilley
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 12, 2007
          The inputto$ only gets you halfway there. If one of the data fields in the
          .csv contains a comma, then that field will be wrapped with "" i.e.

          data1,data2,"data with a , in it",data4

          Also, quotes are converted to apostrophes.

          Zack

        • gordo999@isp.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 12, 2007
            I think you've received some apocryphal information in some of the
            replies. Your posting simply asked how to read information from a CSV
            file.

            A CSV file, presumably made by Excel or similar software, is nothing more
            than a file with data separated by commas. All you need to do is open the
            file with a statement such as:

            open "mydatastuff.csv" for input as #444

            and then use the INPUT # statement to read the data into variables of your
            program. For instance, if the info in the CSV file is numeric, then you
            could read the first three items in the csv-file with:

            input #444,a,b,c

            This is just like an INPUT statement would be used to receive data from
            the keyboard.

            Using this method there are two simple things to keep in mind:

            (1) Be sure to save the data from Excel (or whatever program you are
            using to create the file) in .csv format so it is indeed comma-delimited.
            Since a csv file is just ordinary text you could use an extension of .txt
            and get the same results, particularly useful if you create the file with
            a program other than Excel; and

            (2) If the values being read into your program are strings then those
            strings cannot contain commas (or else the commas in the input strings
            will be confused with the commas separating the variables). If you need
            to get by this limitation then you could use the LINE INPUT # statement
            and place each variable on a separate line in the .csv file...getting the
            same results.

            Hope this helps.

            > I know this topic has been covered but could someone point me in the
            > right direction? I want to open and read a CSV file.
            >
            > Thanks!

            Join ISP.COM today - $9.95 internet , less than 1/2 the cost of AOL
            Try us out, http://www.isp.com/
          • Zachary Antilley
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 12, 2007
              "apocryphal"? I think not. CSV, while not a formally documented file type,
              does contain certain formatting that must be considered when reading from
              it. When someone is asking how to load info from a CSV file, it is
              reasonable to assume that the file was created by an outside program and
              they want to maintain the structure of the data in the file. With that in
              mind, it is important to note the use of quotes around data containing
              comma's, and the replacement of a quotation mark with an apostrophe rather
              than just stating that if you want to read it with LB, it can't have comma's
              in the data.

              I would like to think that you could offer up your advice on the subject
              without accusing others of lying.

              Zack

              On 7/12/07, gordo999@... <gordo999@...> wrote:

              > I think you've received some apocryphal information in some of the
              > replies. Your posting simply asked how to read information from a CSV
              > file.
              >
              > A CSV file, presumably made by Excel or similar software, is nothing more
              > than a file with data separated by commas. All you need to do is open the
              > file with a statement such as:
              >
              > open "mydatastuff.csv" for input as #444
              >
              > and then use the INPUT # statement to read the data into variables of your
              > program. For instance, if the info in the CSV file is numeric, then you
              > could read the first three items in the csv-file with:
              >
              > input #444,a,b,c
              >
              > This is just like an INPUT statement would be used to receive data from
              > the keyboard.
              >
              > Using this method there are two simple things to keep in mind:
              >
              > (1) Be sure to save the data from Excel (or whatever program you are
              > using to create the file) in .csv format so it is indeed comma-delimited.
              > Since a csv file is just ordinary text you could use an extension of .txt
              > and get the same results, particularly useful if you create the file with
              > a program other than Excel; and
              >
              > (2) If the values being read into your program are strings then those
              > strings cannot contain commas (or else the commas in the input strings
              > will be confused with the commas separating the variables). If you need
              > to get by this limitation then you could use the LINE INPUT # statement
              > and place each variable on a separate line in the .csv file...getting the
              > same results.
              >
              > Hope this helps.
              >
              > > I know this topic has been covered but could someone point me in the
              > > right direction? I want to open and read a CSV file.
              > >
              > > Thanks!

            • Richard Russell
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 12, 2007
                --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Zachary Antilley" wrote:
                > it is important to note the use of quotes around data containing
                > comma's, and the replacement of a quotation mark with an apostrophe

                I entirely agree with the thrust of your comment, specifically that
                CSV implies the use of quotes around data containing commas, but
                Wikipedia disagrees with your assertion that quotation marks are
                replaced with apostrophes:

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

                According to that article quotation marks are escaped using the ""
                convention:

                1997,Ford,E350,"Super, ""luxurious"", truck"

                That seems more sensible than substituting apostrophes, since how
                would you then represent an apostrophe in the original data?

                Richard.
              • Zachary Antilley
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 12, 2007
                  I agree that substituting a quote for an apostrophe doesn't make much sense,
                  and I do not know how an apostrophe would be handled. I do know that in a
                  project I worked on last year I had to accommodate data in a .csv file that
                  was generated by software that substituted a " with an ' but I never saw an
                  actual ' in the data. It just proves what RFC
                  4180<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180>says about it not being
                  formally documented.

                  I suppose the best course of action is to explore all possibilities with the
                  software that is generating the .csv file and program accordingly.

                  Thanks,

                  Zack

                  On 7/12/07, Richard Russell <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com <libertybasic%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > "Zachary Antilley" wrote:
                  > > it is important to note the use of quotes around data containing
                  > > comma's, and the replacement of a quotation mark with an apostrophe
                  >
                  > I entirely agree with the thrust of your comment, specifically that
                  > CSV implies the use of quotes around data containing commas, but
                  > Wikipedia disagrees with your assertion that quotation marks are
                  > replaced with apostrophes:
                  >
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values
                  >
                  > According to that article quotation marks are escaped using the ""
                  > convention:
                  >
                  > 1997,Ford,E350,"Super, ""luxurious"", truck"
                  >
                  > That seems more sensible than substituting apostrophes, since how
                  > would you then represent an apostrophe in the original data?
                  >
                  > Richard.

                • Keith Nance
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 12, 2007
                    <zantilley@...> wrote:

                    I agree that substituting a quote for an apostrophe doesn't make much
                    sense, and I do not know how an apostrophe would be handled. I do
                    know that in a project I worked on last year I had to accommodate
                    data in a .csv file that was generated by software that substituted
                    a " with an ' but I never saw an actual ' in the data.

                    I'm back! Thanks for all your replies! Zack is dead on about what
                    I'm looking for. Opening this file type is nothing more than opening
                    a text file, but reading it has proved to be more than just looking
                    for the ' and parsing data. The particular file that I'm wanting to
                    read contains the apostrophe within (example,1) and these are ignored
                    by Excel. When I use the ' to parse them, I get something like this.

                    (example
                    1)

                    I'm opened to any good advice. :-) Thanks!

                    Keith
                  • gordo999@isp.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 12, 2007
                      Oh my goodness, I didn't accuse you of anything. In fact, I've never
                      heard of you. But I do think your advice to the original poster is quite
                      poor.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 13, 2007
                        a·poc·ry·phal /əˈpɒkrəfəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[
                        *uh*-*pok*-r*uh*-f*uh*l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective
                        1.of doubtful authorship or authenticity. 2.Ecclesiastical. a.(initial
                        capital letter) of or pertaining to the Apocrypha. b.of doubtful sanction;
                        uncanonical. 3.false; spurious: He told an apocryphal story about the
                        sword, but the truth was later revealed.
                        Sounds like an accusation to me. I've always valued your responses on this
                        board, my opinion has changed. You may think my advise was poor, but it
                        works, I've used it in several programs.

                        Zack

                        On 7/13/07, gordo999@... <gordo999@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > >> the keyboard.
                        > >>
                        > >> Using this method there are two simple things to keep in mind:
                        > >>
                        > >> (1) Be sure to save the data from Excel (or whatever program you are
                        > >> using to create the file) in .csv format so it is indeed
                        > >> comma-delimited.
                        > >> Since a csv file is just ordinary text you could use an extension of
                        > >> .txt
                        > >> and get the same results, particularly useful if you create the file
                        > >> with
                        > >> a program other than Excel; and
                        > >>
                        > >> (2) If the values being read into your program are strings then those
                        > >> strings cannot contain commas (or else the commas in the input strings
                        > >> will be confused with the commas separating the variables). If you need
                        > >> to get by this limitation then you could use the LINE INPUT # statement
                        > >> and place each variable on a separate line in the .csv file...getting

                      • Keith Nance
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 13, 2007
                          Ok, This has given me a good start and I fixed the problem.
                          The ' that appears in ( ) isn't supposed to be recognized as a
                          separater so I used INST like this...

                          if instr(array$,"(") then
                          array$=array$+inputto$(#file,",")
                          end if

                          This way I put the two parts of data back together.

                          Thanks!
                        • Keith Nance
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 13, 2007
                            I'm getting in a hurry. As it has already been pointed out to me, the
                            apostrophy witn " " is not recognized as a separator. I got it. :-)

                            Thanks again!

                            Keith
                          • gordo999@isp.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 13, 2007
                              Fine, I hope the recipient of your advice got some value out of it. And
                              you will notice that I didn't accuse you of anything, indeed there were
                              several replies besides yours that were included in my response labeling
                              the advice apocryphal so you really have no way of knowing if I was
                              referring to yours.

                              If you're a student of ancient texts, particularly with reference to
                              religious writings, you will understand that the Apocrypha are books that
                              might have been included in the Bible (or sometimes Hebrew text) but were
                              not...either because the authorship was in doubt or because the (then)
                              Pope in Rome or High Rabbi didn't like having it included. A
                              might-have-been-book-of-the-Bible such as, the Prayer of Solomon, was
                              excluded in the Gutenberg Bible, more than 1200 years after it was
                              written! The apocrypha have come and gone over centuries depending on the
                              authority rewriting the religious text in question.

                              Today, the word also has the colloquial meaning of information being of
                              suspect authenticity or of dubious authorship. It does not, and never
                              has, had the connotation of being a lie or some text intentionally written
                              to create a lie. One might say that George Bush's claim to have a mandate
                              to invade Iraq is apocryphal. Whether or not one thinks that claim is a
                              lie depends on the individual and their personal politics.

                              It constantly surprises me how simple little statements can push buttons
                              in other people that invoke a response way out of proportion to the causal
                              agent. Whether or not something is apocryphal depends entirely on who you
                              are and the context in which the declaration is made.

                              Join ISP.COM today - $9.95 internet , less than 1/2 the cost of AOL
                              Try us out, http://www.isp.com/
                            • RICHARD WILLENBERG
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 14, 2007
                                More conflicts are started because of implied application than from applied meanings.
                                The one receiving is in control of the conflict. The sender is at the mercy of misinterpretation.
                                You cannot be insulted unless you choose to be.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 15, 2007
                                  No buttons pushed, my point was, and still is, why should anyone post advice
                                  on this forum if it they are going to be insulted and accused of lying. You
                                  response does nothing but discourage people from participating in this
                                  group. It would have been a simple thing for you to have offered up your
                                  advice without attempting to discredit others.

                                  When posting maybe you should keep in mind that if your advice cannot stand
                                  on it's own merritt without having to discredit the other advice posted,
                                  then maybe it just isn't worth posting.

                                  I have been a member of this group for a long time and I will be the first
                                  to admit that I have received a lot more from it than I have offered up to
                                  it, but when I see a post that I can help with, I do, without disparaging
                                  the other advise.

                                  Zack

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 15, 2007
                                    "When posting maybe you should keep in mind that if your advice cannot
                                    stand
                                    on it's own merritt without having to discredit the other advice posted,
                                    then maybe it just isn't worth posting."

                                    Ok so why did you say my initial response was a half ways solution?

                                    It worked but your reply implied it was a poor solution, in fact it was
                                    the first step in the solution. CSV files should not contain commas
                                    that split fields, that is the whole point of a CVS file. Anyone that
                                    writes CVS files with extra commas is plain stupid, yet we seem to be
                                    into a discussion about how to handle CVS mistakes. On top of that we
                                    seem to be getting hot under the collar. I didn't get hot under the
                                    collar when you apparently rubbished my initial reply, I just assumed
                                    you did not realise that CVS files should be written to a standard.

                                    I give advice to help, sometimes I use inappropriate words, I know that
                                    Gordon gives advice to help. Neither Gordon nor I ever wish to offend
                                    anyone. Can we all work that way?
                                  • Bill Lopez
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 15, 2007
                                      I'm reminded of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers... "You say to-may-toe and I say to-mah-toe." As we all know, there are many different ways to write code to accomplish the same task. Choices are usually made according to the users preferences in style.

                                      As long as the code accomplishes what it is intended to... who cares? A suggestion to make the code more concise, eliminating wasted steps should always be welcome.

                                      Going back to Fred and Ginger, "let's call the whole thing off!"

                                    • Zachary Antilley
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 15, 2007
                                        I did not imply that it was a poor solution, in fact, I credited your post
                                        with how to retrieve the data stating it gets you half-way there. I simply
                                        expounded on the answer you gave, I did not attempt to discredit or
                                        disparage it, unlike Gordon's reply.

                                        As for putting comma's in comma-delimited data, I agree, it is a poor
                                        choice, but when programming we do have to deal with the way outside data is
                                        presented to us. One of my projects working with csv files was actually to
                                        remove comma's from the data fields so that another program that was written
                                        without any accommodation for comma's in the data would accept it.

                                        This discussion has gotten way out of hand. My goal was to point out that
                                        when you attempt to disparage others responses, without merit, it deters
                                        others from helping when they see something they can help with. I value all
                                        of the advise I've received from this board and will continue to help when I
                                        can, but when things like this happen, it will have an effect on the overall
                                        number of responses that a question receives.

                                        Zack

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 15, 2007
                                          > Going back to Fred and Ginger, "let's call the whole thing off!"

                                          He he are you wearing the stilletos or am I?
                                        • Bill Lopez
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 15, 2007
                                            With my bad back, I'll leave the 4 inch heels to you! My legs don't look that good either! :-(

                                          • rod_bird001
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 15, 2007
                                              With my bad back, I'll leave the 4 inch heels to you! My legs don't
                                              look that good either! :-(

                                              Easy solution, get all your varicous veins ripped, when you are still
                                              recovering from that, and well before the anesthetics wear off get a
                                              skin peal and a Brazillian. Use plenty of baby oil, now stand tall,
                                              shees I'm glad I'm a hairy Scotsman.

                                              Ok admins this is my last post!!!!
                                            • Richard Russell
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 15, 2007
                                                --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "rod_bird001" wrote:
                                                > CSV files should not contain commas that split fields, that is
                                                > the whole point of a CVS file. Anyone that writes CVS files with
                                                > extra commas is plain stupid

                                                I don't want to fan the flames, but if by "commas that split fields"
                                                you mean commas within quoted strings then I cannot agree with you.
                                                The "whole point" of CSV files is that data items can include *any*
                                                printing characters, including commas and quotation marks.

                                                In one of the most common uses of a CSV file, to represent the
                                                contents of a spreadsheet, it would be pretty silly if you couldn't
                                                include a comma in a text cell. That would make nonsense of an
                                                application like stock control or inventory, when a comma will
                                                frequently be needed in an item description.

                                                Richard.
                                              • laurie camion
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 15, 2007
                                                  Well put!

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 15, 2007
                                                    I do too. But it is just as important to flag bad advice so that others,
                                                    perhaps many others, won't be misled. Imagine if physicians didn't take
                                                    an oath to identify bad doctors and they just covered up for each other.
                                                    Medicine would be risky business, at best.

                                                    > I have been a member of this group for a long time and I will be the first
                                                    > to admit that I have received a lot more from it than I have offered up to
                                                    > it, but when I see a post that I can help with, I do, without disparaging
                                                    > the other advise.
                                                    >
                                                    > Zack
                                                    >
                                                    > On 7/14/07, gordo999@... <gordo999@...> wrote:
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Fine, I hope the recipient of your advice got some value out of it.
                                                    >> And
                                                    >> you will notice that I didn't accuse you of anything, indeed there were
                                                    >> several replies besides yours that were included in my response labeling
                                                    >> the advice apocryphal so you really have no way of knowing if I was
                                                    >> referring to yours.
                                                    >>
                                                    >> If you're a student of ancient texts, particularly with reference to
                                                    >> religious writings, you will understand that the Apocrypha are books
                                                    >> that
                                                    >> might have been included in the Bible (or sometimes Hebrew text) but
                                                    >> were
                                                    >> not...either because the authorship was in doubt or because the (then)
                                                    >> Pope in Rome or High Rabbi didn't like having it included. A
                                                    >> might-have-been-book-of-the-Bible such as, the Prayer of Solomon, was
                                                    >> excluded in the Gutenberg Bible, more than 1200 years after it was
                                                    >> written! The apocrypha have come and gone over centuries depending on
                                                    >> the
                                                    >> authority rewriting the religious text in question.
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Today, the word also has the colloquial meaning of information being of
                                                    >> suspect authenticity or of dubious authorship. It does not, and never
                                                    >> has, had the connotation of being a lie or some text intentionally
                                                    >> written
                                                    >> to create a lie. One might say that George Bush's claim to have a
                                                    >> mandate
                                                    >> to invade Iraq is apocryphal. Whether or not one thinks that claim is a
                                                    >> lie depends on the individual and their personal politics.
                                                    >>
                                                    >> It constantly surprises me how simple little statements can push buttons
                                                    >> in other people that invoke a response way out of proportion to the
                                                    >> causal
                                                    >> agent. Whether or not something is apocryphal depends entirely on who
                                                    >> you
                                                    >> are and the context in which the declaration is made.

                                                    Join ISP.COM today - $9.95 internet , less than 1/2 the cost of AOL
                                                    Try us out, http://www.isp.com/
                                                  • Harmon Vinson
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 16, 2007
                                                      --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, gordo999@... wrote:

                                                      > ... Imagine if physicians didn't take an oath to identify
                                                      > bad doctors and they just covered up for each other.
                                                      > Medicine would be risky business, at best.

                                                      Good gosh Gordon. I'm not entering into the debate over CVS files,
                                                      BUT your example, stated above, is incredibly bad.

                                                      As one who has been a victim of a doctor's unwillingness to
                                                      acknowledge or correct a mistake by a colleague I can, sadly, state for
                                                      a fact that doctors DO not speak out against poor practitioners.
                                                      The medical profession does a horrible job, overall, at removing them.
                                                    • Zachary Antilley
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 16, 2007
                                                        One last comment; I don't see how you think it was bad advise to provide
                                                        information about the formatting of csv files that I have encountered, most
                                                        of which have been produced by popular spread-sheet applications.

                                                        I will say no more because I know I am not going to overcome your
                                                        God-complex.

                                                        Zack

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jul 17, 2007
                                                          This has drifted a ways off-topic. I don't know where you live but in my
                                                          locale most (not all, but most) doctors speak out when they see bad
                                                          medicine being applied by incompetent doctors. Indeed, in order to be
                                                          able to practice at virtually all the local hospitals the doctors are
                                                          routinely reviewed for their competence. Many hospitals (three in my area
                                                          that I know of) have established vice-president-level positions chaired by
                                                          a physician that directly oversees the quality of care.

                                                          Sure, there will always be poor doctors and many will have colleagues that
                                                          will cover up for them. But that is not the general rule around here and
                                                          one must carefully discriminate between a simple mistake and general
                                                          incompetence.

                                                          As a strange fact, it is not too uncommon for the (overseeing) physician
                                                          in charge of quality of care to find that there are people entering a
                                                          hospital and practicing medicine that are not physicians at all. Scary,
                                                          but the medical profession is trying to bootstrap itself to
                                                          higher-standards, at least in California where I'm located.

                                                          > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, gordo999@... wrote:
                                                          >>
                                                          >> ... Imagine if physicians didn't take an oath to identify
                                                          >> bad doctors and they just covered up for each other.
                                                          >> Medicine would be risky business, at best.
                                                          >
                                                          > Good gosh Gordon. I'm not entering into the debate over CVS files,
                                                          > BUT your example, stated above, is incredibly bad.
                                                          >
                                                          > As one who has been a victim of a doctor's unwillingness to
                                                          > acknowledge or correct a mistake by a colleague I can, sadly, state for
                                                          > a fact that doctors DO not speak out against poor practitioners.
                                                          > The medical profession does a horrible job, overall, at removing them.

                                                          Join ISP.COM today - $9.95 internet , less than 1/2 the cost of AOL
                                                          Try us out, http://www.isp.com/
                                                        • Carl Gundel
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jul 17, 2007
                                                            I would ask everyone to let this thread die. I'm very tempted to delete
                                                            the OT posts as well.

                                                            Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.

                                                            -Carl Gundel
                                                            libertybasic group owner and moderator