Stop me now!

  • stefanhes
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hi all,

      Is there a way to stop this little program, without using Ctrl-Alt-Del?

      Stefan Hesseling

      for i=1 to 999888777
      notice "i=";i
      next i
    • Gordon Rahman
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2007
        In 25% of the cases.

        for i=1 to 20

        notice "i=";i

        if i/4 = int(i/4) then input a$

        next i

        Gordon.

        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "stefanhes" <sjmhesseling@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Is there a way to stop this little program, without using Ctrl-Alt-
        Del?

        > Stefan Hesseling
        >

        > for i=1 to 999888777
        > notice "i=";i
        > next i

      • stefanhes
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2007
          LOL (not)

          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Rahman"
          <dutch_gordon@...> wrote:

          > In 25% of the cases.
          >
          > for i=1 to 20
          >
          > notice "i=";i
          >
          > if i/4 = int(i/4) then input a$
          >
          > next i
          >
          > Gordon.
          >

          > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "stefanhes" <sjmhesseling@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Is there a way to stop this little program, without using Ctrl-Alt-
          > Del?
          > >
          > > Stefan Hesseling
          > >

          > > for i=1 to 999888777
          > > notice "i=";i
          > > next i

        • Gordon Rahman
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2007
            ;D

            I did my utmost.

            wrote:

            > LOL (not)
            >
            > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Rahman"
            > <dutch_gordon@> wrote:
            > >

            > > In 25% of the cases.
            > >
            > > for i=1 to 20
            > >
            > > notice "i=";i
            > >
            > > if i/4 = int(i/4) then input a$
            > >
            > > next i
            > >
            > > Gordon.
            > >

            > > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "stefanhes" <sjmhesseling@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi all,
            > > >
            > > > Is there a way to stop this little program, without using Ctrl-
            Alt-
            > > Del?
            > > >
            > > > Stefan Hesseling
            > > >

            > > > for i=1 to 999888777
            > > > notice "i=";i
            > > > next i

          • rod_bird001
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2, 2007
              Well you of all people know that endless loops are possible. CtrlAltDel
              seeems to be the only way to stop the process.

              This is an observation, you always seem to post bugs, failures and
              weaknesses of the software at the extreem use. I would just once love
              to see you put your "gift" and I mean that because you have a "gift"
              (an eye and an understanding of the code and the environment) to
              showing positive events, things possible despite Liberty BASIC's
              limitations. I do not undervalue what you contribute, Liberty needs
              challenged to stay on top but show us something it should not be
              capable of doing.
            • stefanhes
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2, 2007
                --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "rod_bird001" <rodbird@...> wrote:

                > Well you of all people know that endless loops are possible. CtrlAltDel
                > seeems to be the only way to stop the process.
                >
                > This is an observation, you always seem to post bugs, failures and
                > weaknesses of the software at the extreem use. I would just once love
                > to see you put your "gift" and I mean that because you have a "gift"
                > (an eye and an understanding of the code and the environment) to
                > showing positive events, things possible despite Liberty BASIC's
                > limitations. I do not undervalue what you contribute, Liberty needs
                > challenged to stay on top but show us something it should not be
                > capable of doing.

                Dear Rodbird,

                This was a serious question. I have read a dozen time that you can
                break programs off in the debugger. At a daily basis, I come into the
                position I am NOT able to do so. So I thought I missed something...

                If you want a gift, check the contests of Noble.
                (there, for instance, you can see how I tried to avoid the weakness of
                LB that arrays are always global, by using a long string containing
                all integer values, and still be able to use a recursive algoritm)
                And if you would speak Dutch, you could see I give away my math
                software for free. Checkout www.sincosin.com and download "de wiskunde
                oefen toets automaat"

                Don't get me wrong: LB is the best piece of software I encounterd for
                10 years. Thank you, Carl!

                And yes, I sometimes push it to the limits. I always want to know
                where those limits are (so I can respond to it, by making my software
                better and less buggy)

                And besides LB as a program, I appreciate all the help in the forums.

                Stefan Hesseling
              • Gordon Rahman
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Hello Stefan,

                  I hereby give an apology for Rod.
                  There is nothing wrong with LB nor Windows here.
                  They are fast-moving.

                  Try this:

                  for i=1 to 9
                  notice "i=";i
                  print "hallo"
                  next i
                  This works as expected.

                  So here is the solution
                  for i=1 to 9
                  notice "i=";i
                  for t = 1 to 10000000
                  scan
                  next t
                  next i

                  and now you have the time to CTRL+BREAK

                • gordo999@isp.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                    This only works if one responds in a timely manner. For an unattended
                    system where once turns on the monitor, perhaps once each day, the problem
                    is still not solved.

                    > Hello Stefan,
                    >
                    > I hereby give an apology for Rod.
                    > There is nothing wrong with LB nor Windows here.
                    > They are fast-moving.
                    >
                    > Try this:
                    >
                    > for i=1 to 9
                    > notice "i=";i
                    > print "hallo"
                    > next i
                    > This works as expected.
                    >
                    > So here is the solution
                    > for i=1 to 9
                    > notice "i=";i
                    > for t = 1 to 10000000
                    > scan
                    > next t
                    > next i
                    >
                    > and now you have the time to CTRL+BREAK
                    >
                    > Gordon.
                    >

                    > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "stefanhes" <sjmhesseling@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Hi all,
                    >>
                    >> Is there a way to stop this little program, without using Ctrl-Alt-
                    > Del?
                    >>
                    >> Stefan Hesseling
                    >>

                    >> for i=1 to 999888777
                    >> notice "i=";i
                    >> next i

                    Join ISP.COM today - $8.95 internet , less than 1/2 the cost of AOL
                    Try us out, http://www.isp.com/
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007

                      > Is there a way to stop this little program, without using
                      > Ctrl-Alt-Del?
                      >
                      > for i=1 to 999888777
                      > notice "i=";i
                      > next i

                      The information about exiting endless loops is missing from the helpfile,
                      but we hope to get it in for the next update, since it is one of the FAQ's.

                      You have to do the following:
                      1) hit CTRL + BREAK
                      2) use "Kill BASIC Programs"

                    • stefanhes
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007
                        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pendl"
                        <pendl2megabit@...> wrote:

                        Hi Stefan,

                        I have read this FGA (frequently given answer) many times. But what
                        can be wrong with my system, because it is not working (XPhome, SP2)

                        Stefan Hesseling

                        > > Is there a way to stop this little program, without using
                        > > Ctrl-Alt-Del?
                        > >
                        > > for i=1 to 999888777
                        > > notice "i=";i
                        > > next i
                        > >

                        > The information about exiting endless loops is missing from the
                        helpfile,
                        > but we hope to get it in for the next update, since it is one of the
                        FAQ's.

                        > You have to do the following:
                        > 1) hit CTRL + BREAK
                        > 2) use "Kill BASIC Programs"
                        >
                        > ---
                        > Stefan Pendl

                      • rod_bird001
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007
                          > I have read this FGA (frequently given answer) many times. But what
                          > can be wrong with my system, because it is not working (XPhome, SP2)
                          >
                          > Stefan Hesseling

                          > Is there a way to stop this little program, without using

                          Like many endless loops the code fails to check
                          for keyboard input. It is good practice to put
                          SCAN into such loops.

                          for i=1 to 999888777
                          scan
                          notice "i=";i
                          next i

                          With SCAN in place I can stop the loop with the FGA, otherwise its
                          CtrlAltDel.
                        • stefanhes
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007
                            Yes, that's working. (I think "notice" was stealing the ctrl-breaks
                            and throws them into the waste bin)

                            Thank you.

                            Stefan Hesseling