Re: is "Screen scraping" possible?

  • andy_107_5
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28 9:25 PM
      Use [Ctrl]+[PrtScrn] or [Alt]+[PrtScrn] (capture currently active
      window) to capture the picture on the Windows clipboard. Then have a
      button in a running LB applet to save those pictures to .BMP files.

      Otherwise suggest using SnagIt! which is a screen capture utility
      that has this functionality built in.

      --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "torpidai" <torpidai@...> wrote:

      > The problem with print screen is the lack of automation, I intend
      the
      > completed project to keep track of card hands, what was played and
      > how it was played, who won with what, who lost with what etc etc,
      > playing 4 games at even a slow pace of 50 hands per hour per game,
      > prntsc just isn't going to cut it. Thanks anyway.
      >

      > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Zachary Antilley"
      > <zantilley@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This isn't an automated approach, but in Windows all you have to
      do
      > is press
      > > [Ctrl]+[Prt Scr] and then open paint (or any other image editing
      > app) and
      > > paste.
      > >
      > > Zack
      > >
      > > On 2/27/07, torpidai <torpidai@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > What I'm trying to do is say "Copy" a small section of screen,
      it
      > could
      > > > be desktop, or any other app running at the time, save it as an
      > image
      > > > file in order to process the "picture". If this is possible, any
      > > > pointers would be great. Thanks.
      > > >
      > > > Torpid AI.
      > > >
      > > > p.s. Tried looking at the LBSPY someone else was advised to lok
      > at, for
      > > > what seems to be a similar project, but to no avail, it seems
      that
      > > > grasps the types of objects used rather than the content held
      > within
      > > > and as I could realy do w/o learning another language.....
      > > >
      > > > Torpidai

    • Richard Russell
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2007
        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "torpidai" <torpidai@...> wrote:
        > The problem with print screen is the lack of automation

        It's easy enough to automate it. Just use the 'keybd_event' Windows
        API function to send the VK_SNAPSHOT key code. Microsoft themselves
        suggest this method ("An application can simulate a press of the
        PRINTSCRN key in order to obtain a screen snapshot and save it to the
        clipboard"):

        http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ms646304.aspx

        An alternative is to do it using standard Windows GDI calls. The
        functions you would need to use are:

        'GetDesktopWindow' to get a window handle for the desktop.
        'GetDC' to get a device context for the desktop.
        'BitBlt' to copy a region of the desktop to your own bitmap.

        Richard.