transcribing GWBasic "Chain" etc commands

  • alan procter
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      | am transcribing a GW basic program whose function is stock control
      and Data recording and subsequent reports. The suite of programs
      consist of a number of programs, totalling 1.8 MB.

      Several of the programs were of large size individually
      employing "Chain" commands to load subsections to the within
      particular programs.

      I note the file menu in LB does have an "Insert File" option. But I
      can find no detailed description as the function of this option in
      LB. Does it replicate the Chain commands in GW?

      Alan Procter
    • David Speck
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        Alan,

        LB doesn't have a precise CHAIN command, but it does allow up to 70
        megabytes of program code and data space -- far larger than old GW BASIC
        could ever command.

        It's very likely that you could rewrite your program with minimal effort
        to use the old modules as subroutines off a main calling program, and
        just use a CALL or GOSUB statement to invoke the different subprograms.

        Dave

        alan procter wrote:
        > | am transcribing a GW basic program whose function is stock control
        > and Data recording and subsequent reports. The suite of programs
        > consist of a number of programs, totalling 1.8 MB.
        >
        > Several of the programs were of large size individually
        > employing "Chain" commands to load subsections to the within
        > particular programs.
        >
        > I note the file menu in LB does have an "Insert File" option. But I
        > can find no detailed description as the function of this option in
        > LB. Does it replicate the Chain commands in GW?
        >
        > Alan Procter
      • Stefan Pendl
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007

          > Several of the programs were of large size individually
          > employing "Chain" commands to load subsections to the within
          > particular programs.
          >
          > I note the file menu in LB does have an "Insert File" option.
          > But I can find no detailed description as the function of
          > this option in LB. Does it replicate the Chain commands in GW?
          >
          > Alan Procter

          The menu option "File => Include" is to include source code at the current
          cursor position contained in another file.
          It is more like the #include preprocessor directive in C, but the contents
          of the selected file will be pasted into the current file.

          There is currently no equivalent for CHAIN in LB.

        • Brent Thorn
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
            Hello Alan or anyone porting old BASIC code,

            I have started a board to help port BASIC code for DOS to Liberty
            BASIC or Just BASIC. There is no need to register for this particular
            section of my site, unless you need to attach a big file (or your
            post sets off the anti-spam measures).

            The address is http://www.b6sw.com/qbasic

            Brent

            Bay 6 Software - http://www.b6sw.com/