Installer

  • jerrybrown11743
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 31, 2007
      I'm considering Liberty Basic to develop a user interface for a script
      driven program. It looks pretty good. But, I will need an installer
      for Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP. Can anyone recommend a product?
      A little background: I started out looking at MS VB Express which
      takes care of the installation issue. But, the MS.Net Framework is an
      absolute pain. VB Express applications (even tiny ones) require the
      .Net Framework to be installed on the target platform. So, the
      installer automatically downloads and installs the Framework software
      from the MS site (a huge chunk of code that takes approximately a half
      hour to load even with a cable modem) as part of the application
      installation.
    • Michalis Pateromichelakis
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 31, 2007
        I have used the install creator for my lotto 6/49 statistics program
        http://www.clickteam.com/eng/installcreator.php

        and also have used CreateInstall for lb programs in Greek , because it supports multiple
        languages
        http://www.createinstall.com/

        j>
        j>
        j>
        j>
        j>
        j> I'm considering Liberty Basic to develop a user interface for a script
        j> driven program. It looks pretty good. But, I will need an installer
        j> for Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP. Can anyone recommend a product?
        j> A little background: I started out looking at MS VB Express which
        j> takes care of the installation issue. But, the MS.Net Framework is an
        j> absolute pain. VB Express applications (even tiny ones) require the
        j> .Net Framework to be installed on the target platform. So, the
        j> installer automatically downloads and installs the Framework software
        j> from the MS site (a huge chunk of code that takes approximately a half
        j> hour to load even with a cable modem) as part of the application
        j> installation.
        j>
        j>
        j>
        j>
        j>
      • Chergarj@cs.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 31, 2007
          In a message dated 01/31/2007 8:10:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          jlbrown@... writes:
          > I will need an installer
          > for Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP. Can anyone recommend a product?
          > A little background

          ClickTeam's Install Creator, or SDS Software's SetUp2Go

          G C

        • brian smith
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 31, 2007
            Hi,
            you can check out:http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
            does a great job and it's free.

            -Brian
            --- jerrybrown11743 <jlbrown@...> wrote:

            > I'm considering Liberty Basic to develop a user
            > interface for a script
            > driven program. It looks pretty good. But, I will
            > need an installer
            > for Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP. Can anyone
            > recommend a product?
            > A little background: I started out looking at MS VB
            > Express which
            > takes care of the installation issue. But, the
            > MS.Net Framework is an
            > absolute pain. VB Express applications (even tiny
            > ones) require the
            > .Net Framework to be installed on the target
            > platform. So, the
            > installer automatically downloads and installs the
            > Framework software
            > from the MS site (a huge chunk of code that takes
            > approximately a half
            > hour to load even with a cable modem) as part of the
            > application
            > installation.

            Never miss an email again!
          • jonmdon2001
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 19, 2008
              I am looking for an installer. I have read the "Installers for Liberty
              BASIC - User Reviews", but most of the ones that have good reviews seem
              to be ...outdated? and not accessable. I downloaded 'Spoon Installer'
              but there seems to be a glitch in the download and the program that is
              compressed by Spoon does not work on the computer it is installed on.

              Any suggestions/Help is always appreciated.

              Thanks.

              Jon
            • stefanhes
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 19, 2008
                Hi Jon,

                I use INSTALL CREATOR

                http://www.clickteam.com/eng/installcreator.php

                I use the free-version. (only a message of the guys after installing,
                nothing to worry about.)

                Stefan Hesseling
              • Robert Lawson
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 19, 2008
                  My suggestion would be to make your own installer with LB, I know daft
                  idea....

                  On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM, jonmdon2001 <jonmdon2001@...> wrote:

                  > I am looking for an installer. I have read the "Installers for Liberty
                  > BASIC - User Reviews", but most of the ones that have good reviews seem
                  > to be ...outdated? and not accessable. I downloaded 'Spoon Installer'
                  > but there seems to be a glitch in the download and the program that is
                  > compressed by Spoon does not work on the computer it is installed on.
                  >
                  > Any suggestions/Help is always appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > Jon

                • Ben Jimenez
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 19, 2008
                    You can use the free on here
                    http://www.createinstall.com/

                    I think this is the same one that Carl uses for Liberty and Just Basic

                    Ben

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 19, 2008
                      --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "jonmdon2001" wrote:
                      > I am looking for an installer.

                      I would recommend Inno Setup: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

                      It's 'free', fully-featured, well regarded, and supports all versions
                      of Windows from 95 onwards.

                      Richard.
                    • psycho_bullet_stopper
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 19, 2008
                        There have been several great options already listed (some of which I
                        may want to try) but I have been using Setup2Go for the last few
                        years: http://www.dev4pc.com/setup2go.html

                        John

                        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "jonmdon2001" <jonmdon2001@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I am looking for an installer. I have read the "Installers for Liberty
                        > BASIC - User Reviews", but most of the ones that have good reviews
                        seem
                        > to be ...outdated? and not accessable. I downloaded 'Spoon Installer'
                        > but there seems to be a glitch in the download and the program that is
                        > compressed by Spoon does not work on the computer it is installed on.
                        >
                        > Any suggestions/Help is always appreciated.
                        >
                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        > Jon

                      • henriknilson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 17, 2009
                          Hey
                          Is there any possibility to make installer prog"setup wizard " by LB code ? any example will be of great benefit . Thank you
                        • Richard
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 18, 2009
                            --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "henriknilson" wrote:
                            > Is there any possibility to make installer prog "setup wizard"
                            > by LB code ?

                            Why would you want to, when there are excellent 'free' installers such as Inno Setup? www.innosetup.com

                            Richard.
                          • Henrik
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 18, 2009
                              I have Inno and many other setup softwares but I would like to customized it as I wish, otherwise I can get all things done by LB prepared by other languages and some may be better then what done by LB, so why LB then !

                              > Is there any possibility to make installer prog "setup wizard"
                              > by LB code ?

                              Why would you want to, when there are excellent 'free' installers such as Inno Setup? www.innosetup. com

                              Richard.

                            • Alex
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 18, 2009
                                --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                                > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "henriknilson" wrote:
                                > > Is there any possibility to make installer prog "setup wizard"
                                > > by LB code ?
                                >
                                > Why would you want to, when there are excellent 'free' installers such as Inno Setup? www.innosetup.com
                                >
                                > Richard.

                                The best answer for this is:

                                "I have Inno and many other setup softwares but I would like to customized it as
                                I wish, otherwise I can get all things done by LB prepared by other languages
                                and some may be better then what done by LB, so why LB then ! "

                                If in this group is finding another softwares, that will do job, accepted, then what is the purpose of LB?

                                I hate when somebody recommendes using another software.
                                It's like we are lusers who don't know anything and we are using LB to create "a big" something.

                                Don't fool your-self, everything you can make in LB, can be (somethimes easily) done in other languages too.

                                For me, LB was great introducing into programming world. Now I use Visual Basic. And of story.

                                Why is that? Why I use Visual Basic, and why not LB?
                                Cause, whenever I ask how to do something (which might not be possible at that moment) they give me API function, and that's ok.
                                But, what about making it easy?
                                Isn't that purpose of LB?
                                The fact is that they don't want to make it easy.
                                That's not fair.

                                That's why it was only an introducing, and I'm thankful.
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 18, 2009

                                  > Why is that? Why I use Visual Basic, and why not LB?
                                  > Cause, whenever I ask how to do something (which might not be
                                  > possible at that moment) they give me API function, and that's ok.
                                  > But, what about making it easy?
                                  > Isn't that purpose of LB?
                                  > The fact is that they don't want to make it easy.
                                  > That's not fair.
                                  >
                                  > That's why it was only an introducing, and I'm thankful.

                                  What is easy about having thousands of keywords, just to support anything natively?
                                  I do not see C having so many keywords, since it uses the API functions too, but only when need is.

                                  What is wrong about using API functions?
                                  Did you compare the installation size of VB and LB?

                                  VB must have runtime files installed on the target systems too, as LB must include runtime files.

                                  LB is meant to be easy, because of its small set of commands, if you need more power, there is only one command to know: CALLDLL ;-)

                                  Now back to the installer.

                                  Check out "JB Install Maker", which was written in LB, available at http://jbusers.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=508

                                  This installer is focused on LB/JB program deployment.

                                  Liberty BASIC Assist 4.03 ........ http://www.libertybasic.com/assist.html
                                  Liberty BASIC 4.04 public beta ... http://www.libertybasic.com/lb404b3setup.exe

                                  Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
                                  AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2GHz, 4GB RAM
                                • Richard
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 19, 2009
                                    --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Henrik <henriknilson@...> wrote:
                                    > I have Inno and many other setup softwares but I would like to
                                    > customized it as I wish, otherwise I can get all things done by
                                    > LB prepared by other languages and some may be better then what
                                    > done by LB, so why LB then

                                    Installers are a special case. I write 'professional' Windows applications, and I like to have full control over everything they do. Those applications are all written in BASIC (not Liberty Basic, but that's another matter) but there's just one aspect of them that I don't write myself - the installer (when one is needed)!

                                    Despite my 30-plus-years experience in programming, I know that I can't compete with a program like Inno Setup. If you ask programmers in other 'mainstream' languages (e.g. C++, Java, Python etc.) whether they write their own installers I think they'll almost always say 'no'.

                                    As far as customizing the installer is concerned, Inno Setup is highly customizable and I've never found anything that I can't do using it.

                                    Richard.
                                  • Richard
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 19, 2009
                                      --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pendl" wrote:
                                      > What is easy about having thousands of keywords, just to support
                                      > anything natively? I do not see C having so many keywords, since
                                      > it uses the API functions too, but only when need is.
                                      >
                                      > What is wrong about using API functions?

                                      I agree. To provide access to the vast range of capabilities of Windows, without introducing major restrictions, a language either has to have 'native' commands which duplicate almost everything Windows can do (which necessarily means it is monstrous and bloated) or it provides a 'portal' to the Windows API. I am in no doubt that the second is the better approach.

                                      Although calling the Windows API may be seen by some as 'hard' or 'unfriendly', this can often be tackled by wrapping the API calls in subroutines which present a more straightforward interface.

                                      What, in my opinion, lets LB down is the absence of a proper library capability. Many other languages are supplied with a set of libraries containing 'wrapper' functions for accessing Windows. This can provide 'the best of both worlds': the core language can remain relatively compact, but access to Windows can be as 'easy' as it would be using native commands.

                                      With Liberty Basic you have no choice but to incorporate the Windows API calls in your own programs and I think it's this that some people find offputting.

                                      Richard.
                                    • Gordon
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 19, 2009
                                        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "henriknilson" <henriknilson@...> wrote:

                                        > Hey
                                        > Is there any possibility to make installer prog"setup wizard " by LB code ? any example will be of great benefit . Thank you

                                        I wrote an INSTALLER completly in LB!
                                        Benjamin has updated the INSTALLER to work with
                                        ZIP and UNZIP! His Installer is even better
                                        than all the others.

                                        My listing is free to abuse.

                                        It's midnight here. Tomorrow I'll post a link.

                                        Gordon
                                      • Henrik
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 21, 2009
                                          Hello Gordon
                                          Is it still midnight there! J ,waiting for your link please

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 22, 2009
                                            Sorry to have you waiting.
                                            The listing is in Newsletter #111.

                                            It's written for LB3. So, it won't work
                                            in Vista. It uses an old W95 exe file to
                                            place an icon on the users desktop.

                                            Alyce wrote a new (free) program to place
                                            an icon on your desktop.

                                            My program uses Bill's method to XCOPY
                                            dir-sub dir and files, but there is an API
                                            for that in Windows XP.

                                            Ben Jimenez wrote a Packing/Unpacking program
                                            that includes the installer. The link to his
                                            site is broken at this moment.

                                            Will you inform us when you improve the installer?

                                            Good luck.

                                            Gordon

                                            --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Henrik <henriknilson@...> wrote:

                                            > Hello Gordon
                                            > Is it still midnight there! J ,waiting for your link please

                                          • Henrik
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 22, 2009
                                              Thank you Gordon, I have upgrade Vista to 7 and have XP too on my laptop, I might be not able to improve it because I am not a professional, but defiantly I will customize it to my wishes and needs, I was working on MS DOS long ago as amateur and still the same with LB :)

                                              in Vista. It uses an old W95 exe file to
                                              place an icon on the users desktop.

                                              Alyce wrote a new (free) program to place
                                              an icon on your desktop.

                                              My program uses Bill's method to XCOPY
                                              dir-sub dir and files, but there is an API
                                              for that in Windows XP.

                                              Ben Jimenez wrote a Packing/Unpacking program
                                              that includes the installer. The link to his
                                              site is broken at this moment.

                                              Will you inform us when you improve the installer?

                                              Good luck.

                                              Gordon

                                              --- In libertybasic@ yahoogroups. com, Henrik <henriknilson@ ...> wrote:

                                              > Hello Gordon
                                              > Is it still midnight there! J ,waiting for your link please

                                            • wilsonpollard26
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 29, 2009
                                                Thanks for the help! It works!!