Update's and Vista & Linux support

  • martincolee
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi all,
      When i buy LB, get i right to download the next version?

      My second question:
      Is LB campactible with Windows Vista?

      And my last question:
      Can i make Linux programs?

      Thankyou for the ancers,
      Martin Colee
      Netherlands
    • Richard Russell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "martincolee" wrote:
        > Is LB campactible with Windows Vista?

        I've tried running LB v4.03 under Windows Vista (RC1). Although it
        appears to run, there is a serious issue with the built-in Help, which
        doesn't work at all. All you get is a message from Windows which says:

        "The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which
        was used in previous versions of Windows and it is not supported in
        Windows Vista":

        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

        Richard.
      • Angus Mann
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
          I can confirm that LB 4.03 runs just fine for me under the RTM (ie. final)
          version of Vista.

          I can also confirm that help does not work at all, just as described.

          I've not yet tried looking but I'm 99% sure that LB will not be the only
          program's help affected in this way and I'd expect someone will release a
          utility or program to fix the problem.ie convert help files in the "old"
          format to the "new" format.

          I've tried running LB v4.03 under Windows Vista (RC1). Although it
          appears to run, there is a serious issue with the built-in Help, which
          doesn't work at all. All you get is a message from Windows which says:

          "The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which
          was used in previous versions of Windows and it is not supported in
          Windows Vista":

          http://support. <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607>
          microsoft.com/kb/917607

          Richard.

        • Chergarj@cs.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
            Fixing the "help" problem is the responsibility of Microsoft; the new
            operating system is not ready for the public until helpfiles operate correctly. The
            "release of a utility or program to fix" must be part of a revision in the
            new operating system.

            In a message dated 01/01/2007 2:46:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            angusmann@... writes:
            > I've not yet tried looking but I'm 99% sure that LB will not be the only
            > program's help affected in this way and I'd expect someone will release a
            > utility or program to fix the problem.ie convert help files in the "old"
            > format to the "new" format.

          • Richard Russell
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
              --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Chergarj@... wrote:
              > Fixing the "help" problem is the responsibility of Microsoft; the
              > new operating system is not ready for the public until helpfiles
              > operate correctly.

              Did you read the Microsoft article:

              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

              That makes it quite clear that the old .HLP files won't be supported
              out-of-the-box under Windows Vista. To be fair to MS, they have
              been urging developers to abandon WinHelp in favor of HTMLHelp for
              years, so it should not have come as a surprise.

              > The "release of a utility or program to fix" must be part of a
              > revision in the new operating system.

              Microsoft do say that they will be making a utility available as a
              download, but that's not a very satisfactory solution. I expect
              Carl plans to update the help system to HTMLHelp in LB5.

              Richard.
            • carlgundel
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
                --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Russell" <yahoo@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Chergarj@ wrote:
                > > Fixing the "help" problem is the responsibility of Microsoft; the
                > > new operating system is not ready for the public until helpfiles
                > > operate correctly.
                >
                > Did you read the Microsoft article:
                >
                > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607
                >
                > That makes it quite clear that the old .HLP files won't be
                supported
                > out-of-the-box under Windows Vista. To be fair to MS, they have
                > been urging developers to abandon WinHelp in favor of HTMLHelp for
                > years, so it should not have come as a surprise.
                >
                > > The "release of a utility or program to fix" must be part of a
                > > revision in the new operating system.
                >
                > Microsoft do say that they will be making a utility available as a
                > download, but that's not a very satisfactory solution. I expect
                > Carl plans to update the help system to HTMLHelp in LB5.

                Yes. In fact I may even create my own help viewer since LB5 will
                not be Windows only. In the meantime LB v4.04 will not use the old
                help format.

                In any case I see no reason at all why Microsoft really needs to
                stop supporting the old format. They're just trying to kill off old
                products, I guess. :-/

                -Carl
              • Angus Mann
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the extent of legacy support, this is
                  a LibertyBasic mailing list so I confined my comments to issues and
                  criticisms that only affect LibertyBasic. I have many things I could say
                  about Microsoft but I will post them elsewhere.