New to LB

  • skizercistizm
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hey all,

      In short, I'm new to computer programming and I want to eventually
      program an Online roleplaying game of sorts (eventually charging for
      it and making a living that way). I'm not looking to make the next
      World of Warcraft or anything like that. Most likely, it will be some
      2D sprite-based game. Does LB have the potential to accomplish this?
      Are there any big problems I might run into using LB over some other
      language to program this game? I'm ready to commit myself to
      programming but I am on a low budget ( as well as being a young one
      with a low paying job) so I am weary over spending any money. Any help
      would be appreciated. Thanks.
    • Chergarj@cs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
        In a message dated 09/01/2006 4:37:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        skizercistizm@... writes:
        > <2D sprite-based game. Does LB have the potential to accomplish this? >

        Yes. Many LB users have produced some.

        > <Are there any big problems I might run into using LB over some other
        > language to program this game? >

        Sprite rotations and size changes during play are limited. Background needs
        to be static or may scroll. One graphics box at a time may contain
        sprites(which may not really be a limitation).

        <I'm ready to commit myself to

        > programming but I am on a low budget ( as well as being a young one
        > with a low paying job) so I am weary over spending any money.>

        Registration fee for Liberty BASIC shareware is very inexpensive; about $50.
        If you plan on making any reasonable program, either simple game, more
        intricate game (still within the capabilities of LB), or information utility, or an
        educational program, Liberty BASIC is a very good, or excellent BASIC
        programming language.

        G C