Re: [libertybasic] Re: unique question?

  • Alyce Watson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
      At 11:48 AM 6/4/2006, you wrote:

      >Okay, here's things the get me stuck. What the hell is: WHILE i <= LEN
      >(name$) I am more concerned with the [i] in this statement, I have
      >read the manual and unless i've completely missed something I have no
      >clue what this i is in the statement, i've also seen it in the usage
      >of for index xxxxxxx what in the hell is index? I went to look up the
      >commands in the manual and could not find a listing of any command or
      >terms that describe what index means to the language...
      >
      >why are we using i, what is it, and what does it mean? seems to me
      >that there were a few other terms that i saw being used that were
      >used in the program but not mentioned anywhere in the book.
      >
      >unless im looking in the wrong manuals???

      Have you worked through the tutorials that come with Liberty BASIC?

      In the helpfile: Language Syntax and Usage -> Variables, Arrays and DATA.

      If you don't know what a variable is, you are at the beginning of
      your journey to learn programming. It will get easier as you learn
      more. I highly recommend working through the tutorial, which can be
      accessed from the HELP menu.

      -Alyce

    • William Roggow
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
        " Okay, here's things the get me stuck. What the hell is: WHILE i <= LEN
        (name$) I am more concerned with the [i] in this statement, I have
        read the manual and unless i've completely missed something I have no
        clue what this i is in the statement, i've also seen it in the usage
        of for index xxxxxxx what in the hell is index? I went to look up the
        commands in the manual and could not find a listing of any command or
        terms that describe what index means to the language..."

        jmoylan

        'i' is simply used as a variable. any letter or name could be used just as
        well. Descriptive names such as 'counter', 'index', or something
        describing the variable's useage might be better.

        Now to the heart of the matter. This is a public group. There are some
        here who are offended by your use of 'four letter words', myself for one.
        The dictionary contains thousands of acceptable adjectives. I'm only asking
        that in a public group such as this, you find non offensive words to convey
        your thoughts. Thank you

        Bill
      • uui_president
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "William Roggow" <roggowb@...>
          wrote:

          > " Okay, here's things the get me stuck. What the hell is: WHILE i <=
          LEN
          > (name$) I am more concerned with the [i] in this statement, I have
          > read the manual and unless i've completely missed something I have no
          > clue what this i is in the statement, i've also seen it in the usage
          > of for index xxxxxxx what in the hell is index? I went to look up the
          > commands in the manual and could not find a listing of any command or
          > terms that describe what index means to the language..."
          >
          > jmoylan

          In this particular instance this line of code "WHILE i <= LEN
          (name$)" is part of a counting loop, I being the counter and it will
          count up to the number of character contained in string name$. as an
          example:

          name$= "My Name":i=0
          while i<= LEN(name$)
          i=i+1
          wend
          print "length of string variable name$ = ";i-1

          I hope this helps you out.