Re: unique question?

  • jmoylan1969
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
      --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "alex0hay" <zenjew@...> wrote:

      > numpossnames = 10
      > DIM sum(numpossnames)
      >
      > name$ = "JOE SAMUEL ELIAS SMITH" 'must be caps here, names
      delimited
      > by 1 space,
      > 'could accomodate lower case using
      > UCASE$
      > ' RTFM (Read The F'ing Manual)
      >
      > i = 1 'simple counter
      > n = 1 'start at first name
      >
      > WHILE i <= LEN(name$)
      > x = ASC(MID$(name$, i, 1))
      > IF x = 32 THEN 'it's a space so skip
      > n = n + 1 'and move to next name
      > i = i + 1 'and next character in name$
      > x = ASC(MID$(name$, i, 1)) 'better not be a space
      > END IF 'in all cases '
      > sum(n) = sum(n) + 1 + (x - 65) MOD 9 'ASC("A")=65, RTFM re:
      MOD
      > i = i + 1
      > WEND
      >
      > FOR i = 1 TO n 'n = number of names found
      > WHILE sum(i) > 9
      > sum(i) = sum(i) - 9 'sum(i) MOD 9, preserving 0 as 9,
      > RTFM:)
      > WEND
      > tot = tot + sum(i)
      > NEXT
      >
      > WHILE tot > 9
      > tot = tot - 9 'ditto last remark
      > WEND
      >
      > FOR i = 1 TO n
      > PRINT "name"; i; sum(i)
      > NEXT
      > PRINT "all names "; tot
      > PRINT

      Okay, here's things the get me stuck. What the hell is: WHILE i <= LEN
      (name$) I am more concerned with the [i] in this statement, I have
      read the manual and unless i've completely missed something I have no
      clue what this i is in the statement, i've also seen it in the usage
      of for index xxxxxxx what in the hell is index? I went to look up the
      commands in the manual and could not find a listing of any command or
      terms that describe what index means to the language...

      why are we using i, what is it, and what does it mean? seems to me
      that there were a few other terms that i saw being used that were
      used in the program but not mentioned anywhere in the book.

      unless im looking in the wrong manuals???
    • Alyce Watson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
        At 11:48 AM 6/4/2006, you wrote:

        >Okay, here's things the get me stuck. What the hell is: WHILE i <= LEN
        >(name$) I am more concerned with the [i] in this statement, I have
        >read the manual and unless i've completely missed something I have no
        >clue what this i is in the statement, i've also seen it in the usage
        >of for index xxxxxxx what in the hell is index? I went to look up the
        >commands in the manual and could not find a listing of any command or
        >terms that describe what index means to the language...
        >
        >why are we using i, what is it, and what does it mean? seems to me
        >that there were a few other terms that i saw being used that were
        >used in the program but not mentioned anywhere in the book.
        >
        >unless im looking in the wrong manuals???

        Have you worked through the tutorials that come with Liberty BASIC?

        In the helpfile: Language Syntax and Usage -> Variables, Arrays and DATA.

        If you don't know what a variable is, you are at the beginning of
        your journey to learn programming. It will get easier as you learn
        more. I highly recommend working through the tutorial, which can be
        accessed from the HELP menu.

        -Alyce

      • William Roggow
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
          " Okay, here's things the get me stuck. What the hell is: WHILE i <= LEN
          (name$) I am more concerned with the [i] in this statement, I have
          read the manual and unless i've completely missed something I have no
          clue what this i is in the statement, i've also seen it in the usage
          of for index xxxxxxx what in the hell is index? I went to look up the
          commands in the manual and could not find a listing of any command or
          terms that describe what index means to the language..."

          jmoylan

          'i' is simply used as a variable. any letter or name could be used just as
          well. Descriptive names such as 'counter', 'index', or something
          describing the variable's useage might be better.

          Now to the heart of the matter. This is a public group. There are some
          here who are offended by your use of 'four letter words', myself for one.
          The dictionary contains thousands of acceptable adjectives. I'm only asking
          that in a public group such as this, you find non offensive words to convey
          your thoughts. Thank you

          Bill
        • uui_president
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
            --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "William Roggow" <roggowb@...>
            wrote:

            > " Okay, here's things the get me stuck. What the hell is: WHILE i <=
            LEN
            > (name$) I am more concerned with the [i] in this statement, I have
            > read the manual and unless i've completely missed something I have no
            > clue what this i is in the statement, i've also seen it in the usage
            > of for index xxxxxxx what in the hell is index? I went to look up the
            > commands in the manual and could not find a listing of any command or
            > terms that describe what index means to the language..."
            >
            > jmoylan

            In this particular instance this line of code "WHILE i <= LEN
            (name$)" is part of a counting loop, I being the counter and it will
            count up to the number of character contained in string name$. as an
            example:

            name$= "My Name":i=0
            while i<= LEN(name$)
            i=i+1
            wend
            print "length of string variable name$ = ";i-1

            I hope this helps you out.