RE: [libertybasic] Digest Number 2188

  • Rich & Rae
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
      Why does ----print val("1/2")
      give you 1
      any way to get it to get val of fractions?
    • Frank Jordan
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Rich & Rae" <richandrae@...> wrote:

        > Why does ----print val("1/2")
        > give you 1
        > any way to get it to get val of fractions?

        The following is from the help file of LB 4.03

        VAL(stringExpression)

        This function returns a numeric value for stringExpression if
        stringExpression represents a valid numeric value or if it begins with
        a valid numeric value. If not, then zero is returned.

        Usage:

        print 2 * val("3.14") Produces: 6.28

        print val("hello") Produces: 0

        print val("3 blind mice") Produces: 3

        Since the '/' is not a number the 'val' expression is just retruning
        the only number is can so you get '1' as the result
      • William E. Lopez
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
          The VAL() function looks at a string and "sees" numerical values up to the first non-numerical value. If you type in:

          PRINT VAL("3/4") you will get 3, because the / character is non-numerical.

          I'm not sure I understand your question to "get rid of the fraction," but if you are looking for the decimal value you can use:

          PRINT STR$(1/2) or you can
          PRINT 1/2 to get the same result.

          Welopez
          welopez@...

        • Bill Beasley
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
            Rich & Rae wrote:

            >Why does ----print val("1/2")
            >give you 1
            >any way to get it to get val of fractions?

            Check help file for complete information on VAL() function.
            It's stopping at first non-numeric character.

            While you're there, check the EVAL() function.
            I'll bet EVAL("1/2") will give you what you want.

            Regards,
            Bill Beasley
          • Chergarj@cs.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
              In a message dated 04/05/2006 9:27:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
              richandrae@... writes:

              > Why does ----print val("1/2")
              > give you 1
              > any way to get it to get val of fractions?

              The number in the quotes is a string; the val() function turns a string into
              a numeral or numeric value, but this ceases at the forward-slash, since the
              forward slash is not a numeric value and cannot be turned from "/" into any sort
              of number.

              G C