Re: [libertybasic] Re: DataBases And LB

  • Richard Thomas
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hi Guys:
      What I've found so far:
      MySql and SqlServer have limitations concerning deployment licensing but
      would be free, except for any produc costs to get SqlServer up and running,
      for personal use..
      A few other choices had performance problems or were too far from standard
      Sql syntax for my liking.
      The one I find most interesting for users of LB so far seems to be firebird.
      Writings say it's fast, robust, current, free and can be deployed without
      licensing problems. Also, it's ODBC compliant, can be embedded into
      desk-top applications for easy distribution and seems to have a large
      support community.
      It's small enough for home hobbyists and powerful enough for demanding
      desk-top and internet server LB programmers.
      It has ccross-platform functionallity for Windows and a host of other
      operating systems. It's used with PHP, JAVA and other programming languages
      so interfacing between LB and other languages, like server languages is
      likely possible. So far, this is my choice for developing a DataBase to use
      with Liberty Basic. Using MySql or SqlServer 2005 are good options if you
      want to develop for yourself and aren't concerned with deployment, licensing
      or DataBase size, number of processors or internal memory limitations.
      Also, the embedded feature of FireBird is nice since everything for the
      DataBase would be in one dll you would just include in a folder with your
      program, I'm not sure about embedding and other DataBases though. So what
      do you think? How about some views on DataBases you've worked with
      concerning comparitive speeds, ease of use etc...
      Well, gotta re=-fill the cup.
      Rick USA
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
        It is true that you have limited options with MySql or Sql Server if
        you are going to do anything with it besides personal stuff. I have
        toyed with Firebird only to discover that it is not as user friendly
        as one thinks and there is little to no help even though there
        appears to be. I have not seen anyone use Firebird with Liberty and
        for that matter very few use Firebird with Visual Basic. Firebird is
        build around Borland's Interbase technologies. Actually, Firebird IS
        Borland's Interbase. Some developers took over the source code for
        Interbase when Borland released it as open source a few years ago.
        In a nutshell, Firebird seems alright but its most use is in the
        Delphi community.

        Microsoft has, SQL Server 2005 Express. It is FREE, even for
        commercial use. But it is not as full featured as the full blown SQL
        Sever 2005. Take a look at it and see if it fits your needs.

        I had mentioned Cheetah because I thought you were wanting an easy
        to use database program. But it sounds like you are looking for
        something a little more robust that Cheetah. You can find out more
        about Cheetah here: http://www.planetsquires.com

        Hope this helps.
        NB

        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Thomas" <rthomas@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Guys:
        > What I've found so far:
        > MySql and SqlServer have limitations concerning deployment
        licensing but
        > would be free, except for any produc costs to get SqlServer up and
        running,
        > for personal use..
        > A few other choices had performance problems or were too far from
        standard
        > Sql syntax for my liking.
        > The one I find most interesting for users of LB so far seems to be
        firebird.
        > Writings say it's fast, robust, current, free and can be deployed
        without
        > licensing problems. Also, it's ODBC compliant, can be embedded
        into
        > desk-top applications for easy distribution and seems to have a
        large
        > support community.
        > It's small enough for home hobbyists and powerful enough for
        demanding
        > desk-top and internet server LB programmers.
        > It has ccross-platform functionallity for Windows and a host of
        other
        > operating systems. It's used with PHP, JAVA and other programming
        languages
        > so interfacing between LB and other languages, like server
        languages is
        > likely possible. So far, this is my choice for developing a
        DataBase to use
        > with Liberty Basic. Using MySql or SqlServer 2005 are good
        options if you
        > want to develop for yourself and aren't concerned with deployment,
        licensing
        > or DataBase size, number of processors or internal memory
        limitations.
        > Also, the embedded feature of FireBird is nice since everything
        for the
        > DataBase would be in one dll you would just include in a folder
        with your
        > program, I'm not sure about embedding and other DataBases though.
        So what
        > do you think? How about some views on DataBases you've worked
        with
        > concerning comparitive speeds, ease of use etc...
        > Well, gotta re=-fill the cup.
        > Rick USA

      • Richard Thomas
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
          Hi NB:
          Thanks: Yah, I'm looking for a database that most, or all, LB users could
          use. That means it should be free for personal use, be easy enough for
          beginners, be scaleable enough so advanced users could take advantage of it
          and have free or low-cost licensing.
          Also, cross-platform would be very handy for those deploying to non-Windows
          based systems like the Linux, Apache type server setup. I'll take a
          further, more detail, look at SQL Server 2005, SQLLite and FireBird. I
          thought there was a licensing fee with sQL Server but I am often mistaken
          and that's what's so good about having an on-line support list like this
          one, there is just so much to learn and know out there!
          I've just read some contradictory reports about SQLLite performance. The
          authors I have just read say performance matches or exceeds FireBird so More
          research is called for before I make a decission. Have you tried out any of
          these personally? The MS SQL Server would be a good choice if it does
          everything as it would also work with Vs Studio 2005 projects. That would
          mean that an LB user could use the database in the Studio Environment for
          production, or work related jobs, or with LB for things better done in LB.
          Do you know if SQL Server can run on a Linux based server? Allot of folks
          use hosting under this system for their web sites cause they're cheaper.
          Well, off to do more homework! By the way, any keywords I might add to
          google searches you can think of other than the ones we've used here? One I
          just picked up was on "concurrent" meaning that several programs can access
          an open database at the same time, SQLLite can do this in embedded mode but
          FireBird can't. Likely not a problem as LB is a single executable with all
          tkn programs embedded under the exe module but it's something worth
          considering.
          Well, finally, off to do more reading!
          Thanks for the Blast:
          Rick USA
> [...]
          >> likely possible. So far, this is my choice for developing a
          > DataBase to use
          >> with Liberty Basic. Using MySql or SqlServer 2005 are good
          > options if you
          >> want to develop for yourself and aren't concerned with deployment,
          > licensing
          >> or DataBase size, number of processors or internal memory
          > limitations.
          >> Also, the embedded feature of FireBird is nice since everything
          > for the
          >> DataBase would be in one dll you would just include in a folder
          > with your
          >> program, I'm not sure about embedding and other DataBases though.
          > So what
          >> do you think? How about some views on DataBases you've worked
          > with
          >> concerning comparitive speeds, ease of use etc...

        • nobledeanbell
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
            Yes, I have used SQLLite before and it is not that bad at all. The
            latest version will not work with LB. You will have to use an older
            version. There are some great articles in the LB Newsletters about
            SQLLite, Tsunami Record Manager (not a database), and Microsoft
            Access. I think I have seen a post on the LB Forums that someone has
            got SQL Server working with LB too. So, you might want to check out
            these resources too.

            Also, please note that there is a difference between Microsoft SQL
            Server 2005 and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express. The Express
            version is the free version NOT the full blown SQL Server 2005.

            wrote:

            > Hi NB:
            > Thanks: Yah, I'm looking for a database that most, or all, LB
            users could
            > use. That means it should be free for personal use, be easy
            enough for
            > beginners, be scaleable enough so advanced users could take
            advantage of it
            > and have free or low-cost licensing.
            > Also, cross-platform would be very handy for those deploying to
            non-Windows
            > based systems like the Linux, Apache type server setup. I'll take
            > further, more detail, look at SQL Server 2005, SQLLite and
            FireBird. I
            > thought there was a licensing fee with sQL Server but I am often
            mistaken
            > and that's what's so good about having an on-line support list
            like this
            > one, there is just so much to learn and know out there!
            > I've just read some contradictory reports about SQLLite
            performance. The
            > authors I have just read say performance matches or exceeds
            FireBird so More
            > research is called for before I make a decission. Have you tried
            out any of
            > these personally? The MS SQL Server would be a good choice if it
            does
            > everything as it would also work with Vs Studio 2005 projects.
            That would
            > mean that an LB user could use the database in the Studio
            Environment for
            > production, or work related jobs, or with LB for things better
            done in LB.
            > Do you know if SQL Server can run on a Linux based server? Allot
            of folks
            > use hosting under this system for their web sites cause they're
            cheaper.
            > Well, off to do more homework! By the way, any keywords I might
            add to
            > google searches you can think of other than the ones we've used
            here? One I
            > just picked up was on "concurrent" meaning that several programs
            can access
            > an open database at the same time, SQLLite can do this in
            embedded mode but
            > FireBird can't. Likely not a problem as LB is a single executable
            with all
            > tkn programs embedded under the exe module but it's something
            worth
            > considering.
            > Well, finally, off to do more reading!
            > Thanks for the Blast:
            > Rick USA

          • Richard Thomas
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 2, 2006
              NB:
              I've done some more reading. SQLite sounds fine for a single user desk-top
              app. For anything on a server, MySql or SQL Server are the big guys and,
              finally, FireBird is suppose to be a cross platform, server DB that can
              also be embedded like SQLite, for simple desk-top apps.
              I know each can be used in all the senarios, except SQLite, but SQL Server
              and MySql run in server mode even for simple apps on a desk-top, MySql is
              pricy to deploy commercially and to run SQL Server correctly you need to run
              Windows Pro Edition with IIS installed. Does this abstract sound correct?
              I have no preference as to what DBMS I use. For me there is a whole other
              set of problems involving accessibility of tools under my screen reader.
              But that's OK, I have 5 Lbs of coffee, a bottle of Tylonol and a fold-out
              bed in my computer room, I'm ready to rock.
              Rick Farmington Mich. USA

> [...]
              >> likely possible. So far, this is my choice for developing a
              > DataBase to use
              >> with Liberty Basic. Using MySql or SqlServer 2005 are good
              > options if you
              >> want to develop for yourself and aren't concerned with deployment,
              > licensing
              >> or DataBase size, number of processors or internal memory
              > limitations.
              >> Also, the embedded feature of FireBird is nice since everything
              > for the
              >> DataBase would be in one dll you would just include in a folder
              > with your
              >> program, I'm not sure about embedding and other DataBases though.
              > So what
              >> do you think? How about some views on DataBases you've worked
              > with
              >> concerning comparitive speeds, ease of use etc...

            • Noble D. Bell
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 2, 2006
                Yes, SQL Server does require an advanced version of Windows. But, SQL
                Server Express does not.

                The coffee is a great idea but you are forgetting the other essential
                element, the "Twinkies" dude! :O

              • Chergarj@cs.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 2, 2006
                  In a message dated 04/02/2006 2:08:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  nobledeanbell@... writes:
                  > The coffee is a great idea but you are forgetting the other essential
                  > element, the "Twinkies" dude! :O

                  I do not understand the metaphor. The part before the metaphor was clear,
                  but not the coffee and twinkies one.

                  G C

                • Noble D. Bell
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 2, 2006
                    Most people think programmers take in allot of caffine and eat allot
                    of twinkies. ;)

                    nb

                    --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Chergarj@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 04/02/2006 2:08:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                    > nobledeanbell@... writes:
                    > > The coffee is a great idea but you are forgetting the other essential
                    > > element, the "Twinkies" dude! :O
                    > >

                    > I do not understand the metaphor. The part before the metaphor was
                    clear,
                    > but not the coffee and twinkies one.
                    >

                    > G C

                  • Richard Thomas
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 2, 2006
                      Reply to dietary supplement:
                      LotsOfWork = (Cafeen + HighGlucose) * HoursWithoutSleep
                      Rick Farmington Mich. USA

                    • Chergarj@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 2, 2006
                        Thanks, nobledbell and rthomas; this required a bit of backreading and
                        inferencing.

                        G C

                        In a message dated 04/02/2006 3:53:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                        rthomas@... writes:
                        > Reply to dietary supplement:
                        > LotsOfWork = (Cafeen + HighGlucose) * HoursWithoutSleep

                      • John Fisher
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 3, 2006
                          For non-US readers you might enjoy http://www.twinkiesproject.com/
                          (& our US friends too perhaps?)
                        • Richard Thomas
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 5, 2006
                            Hi NB:
                            Well, I've got the MS Access-based DB running OK under ODBC. I picked up
                            David's code and am playing with it to pick up on some concepts before going
                            to MySql or SQL Server. Note that I dropped researching FireBird as most
                            Web Hosting seems SQL Server or MySql based. I'm leaning toward MySql for
                            online work.
                            One question, if I set up an Apache server on my Windows Desk-top, can I run
                            LB programs as the scripts which handle the DDl? Apache in native mode is
                            Linux based so I'm not sure about port access etc... if I can manage MySql
                            with LB under Windows running an Apache server.
                            The base OS is Windows but the Virtual Server, if you will, is Apache, MySql
                            and PHP. I've yet to start researching these complications but thought you
                            may have run across this situation. Also, someone downloaded MySql a few
                            days ago, any word on how successful he's been getting it up and running
                            with LB?
                            Thanks:
                            Rick Farmington Mich. USA
> [...]
                            >> production, or work related jobs, or with LB for things better
                            > done in LB.
                            >> Do you know if SQL Server can run on a Linux based server? Allot
                            > of folks
                            >> use hosting under this system for their web sites cause they're
                            > cheaper.
                            >> Well, off to do more homework! By the way, any keywords I might
                            > add to
                            >> google searches you can think of other than the ones we've used
                            > here? One I
                            >> just picked up was on "concurrent" meaning that several programs
                            > can access
                            >> an open database at the same time, SQLLite can do this in
                            > embedded mode but
                            >> FireBird can't. Likely not a problem as LB is a single executable
                            > with all
                            >> tkn programs embedded under the exe module but it's something

                          • Richard Thomas
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 5, 2006
                              OOPS!
                              Actually, FireBird is still on the plate but, since it's not widely
                              supported by Web Hosts yet, I'm looking at the other choices. Downline,
                              from what I've been reading, I believe FireBird might be a really fine
                              choice for LB if it becomes widely used by the Hosting Community.
                              For now I'll gain a great deal of knowledge from working with MySql or SQL
                              Server and LB. There is allot to know if I ever want to build a really
                              simple interface.
                              Rick Farmington Mich.

                              > Well, I've got the MS Access-based DB running OK under ODBC. I picked up
                              > David's code and am playing with it to pick up on some concepts before
                              > going
                              > to MySql or SQL Server. Note that I dropped researching FireBird as most
                              > Web Hosting seems SQL Server or MySql based. I'm leaning toward MySql for
                              > online work.
                              > One question, if I set up an Apache server on my Windows Desk-top, can I
                              > run
                              > LB programs as the scripts which handle the DDl? Apache in native mode is
                              > Linux based so I'm not sure about port access etc... if I can manage MySql
                              > with LB under Windows running an Apache server.
                              > The base OS is Windows but the Virtual Server, if you will, is Apache,
                              > MySql
                              > and PHP. I've yet to start researching these complications but thought
                              > you
                              > may have run across this situation. Also, someone downloaded MySql a few
                              > days ago, any word on how successful he's been getting it up and running
                              > with LB?
                              > Thanks:
                              > Rick Farmington Mich. USA

                            • Mike
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 5, 2006
                                Not being a database user, I don't fully understand the implications
                                of MySql etc with LB, but surely it is possible to write a 'LBql'
                                script parser - type the query in a textbox and go find the data.
                                Yes, no?? Am I uttering nonsense? Would it be too slow?
                                Mike.

                                wrote:

                                > Hi NB:
                                > Well, I've got the MS Access-based DB running OK under ODBC. I
                                picked up
                                > David's code and am playing with it to pick up on some concepts
                                before going
                                > to MySql or SQL Server. Note that I dropped researching FireBird
                                as most
                                > Web Hosting seems SQL Server or MySql based. I'm leaning toward
                                MySql for
                                > online work.
                                > One question, if I set up an Apache server on my Windows Desk-top,
                                can I run
                                > LB programs as the scripts which handle the DDl? Apache in native
                                mode is
                                > Linux based so I'm not sure about port access etc... if I can
                                manage MySql
                                > with LB under Windows running an Apache server.
                                > The base OS is Windows but the Virtual Server, if you will, is
                                Apache, MySql
                                > and PHP. I've yet to start researching these complications but
                                thought you
                                > may have run across this situation. Also, someone downloaded
                                MySql a few
                                > days ago, any word on how successful he's been getting it up and
                                running
                                > with LB?
                                > Thanks:
                                > Rick Farmington Mich. USA
                              • pendl2megabit
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 5, 2006

                                  > One question, if I set up an Apache server on my Windows
                                  > Desk-top, can I run
                                  > LB programs as the scripts which handle the DDl? Apache in
                                  > native mode is
                                  > Linux based so I'm not sure about port access etc... if I can
                                  > manage MySql
                                  > with LB under Windows running an Apache server.
                                  > The base OS is Windows but the Virtual Server, if you will, is
                                  > Apache, MySql
                                  > and PHP.

                                  Rick,
                                  the LB newsletter 126 has an article about "LB Server: CGI with LB, by
                                  Colin McMurchie".
                                  It uses an Apache server in conjunction with a LB program to do server side
                                  CGI.

                                  This might be a start in the right direction.

                                  The Newsletters are at http://babek.info/libertybasicfiles/lbnews/

                                • Richard Thomas
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 6, 2006
                                    Hi Mike:
                                    You Sure Can:
                                    This program by Dennis will let you enter a SQL statement in a box and see
                                    the results in a box below the one you enter your sql statement in.
                                    I didn't play with it at all. I just picked up some code for creating and
                                    accessing a database to learn about connection strings and ODBC under LB.
                                    But, you can run it right out of the box! I had to fix some line-wrap
                                    problems but it ran as soon as I fixed the problems.
                                    If you want to take a look see here is the URL:
                                    http://www.syberden.net/libertybelle/odbc/SQL_Scratch_Pad.html
                                    I'm looking into the possibility of having a single database engine for the
                                    most simple LB applications and novice users that expands to the most
                                    complex desk-top and internet related features.
                                    Most of the complexities could be done behind the seens without a novice
                                    worrying about ports, connect strings, internal API calls etc...
                                    For now Dennis's program works and, if you have an understanding of LB and
                                    API calls, you can pick up on the way ODBC works under LB.
                                    If you are new, Id stay with Random Access Files until you have a good grasp
                                    on LB syntax and have played with API calls a little. There are a couple of
                                    folks on this list who are really good with LB and API calls so don't get
                                    frightened off! It is not as hard as it seemed to me at first. LB is the
                                    easiest language to learn I've run across, especially when I started looking
                                    into the OOP formatted languages, they're just plain tough to learn!
                                    Rick Farmington Mich. USA
                                    > Not being a database user, I don't fully understand the implications
                                    > of MySql etc with LB, but surely it is possible to write a 'LBql'
                                    > script parser - type the query in a textbox and go find the data.
                                    > Yes, no?? Am I uttering nonsense? Would it be too slow?
                                    > Mike.
                                    >
                                    > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Thomas" <rthomas@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> Hi NB:
                                    >> Well, I've got the MS Access-based DB running OK under ODBC. I
                                    > picked up
                                    >> David's code and am playing with it to pick up on some concepts
                                    > before going
                                    >> to MySql or SQL Server. Note that I dropped researching FireBird
                                    > as most
                                    >> Web Hosting seems SQL Server or MySql based. I'm leaning toward
                                    > MySql for
                                    >> online work.
                                    >> One question, if I set up an Apache server on my Windows Desk-top,
                                    > can I run
                                    >> LB programs as the scripts which handle the DDl? Apache in native
                                    > mode is
                                    >> Linux based so I'm not sure about port access etc... if I can
                                    > manage MySql
                                    >> with LB under Windows running an Apache server.
                                    >> The base OS is Windows but the Virtual Server, if you will, is
                                    > Apache, MySql
                                    >> and PHP. I've yet to start researching these complications but
                                    > thought you
                                    >> may have run across this situation. Also, someone downloaded
                                    > MySql a few
                                    >> days ago, any word on how successful he's been getting it up and
                                    > running
                                    >> with LB?
                                    >> Thanks:
                                    >> Rick Farmington Mich. USA
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Richard Thomas
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 6, 2006
                                      Thanks as usual Stefan:
                                      I'll check it out.
                                      Rick Farmington Mich. USA
                                      >> One question, if I set up an Apache server on my Windows
                                      >> Desk-top, can I run
                                      >> LB programs as the scripts which handle the DDl? Apache in
                                      >> native mode is
                                      >> Linux based so I'm not sure about port access etc... if I can
                                      >> manage MySql
                                      >> with LB under Windows running an Apache server.
                                      >> The base OS is Windows but the Virtual Server, if you will, is
                                      >> Apache, MySql
                                      >> and PHP.
                                      >
                                      > Rick,
                                      > the LB newsletter 126 has an article about "LB Server: CGI with LB, by
                                      > Colin McMurchie".
                                      > It uses an Apache server in conjunction with a LB program to do server
                                      > side
                                      > CGI.
                                      >
                                      > This might be a start in the right direction.
                                      >
                                      > The Newsletters are at http://babek.info/libertybasicfiles/lbnews/
                                      >
                                      > ---

                                    • Richard Thomas
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 6, 2006
                                        Man! This thing is getting involved! Stefan, I read the NL126 and NL127. I
                                        can't figure out how to download the newsletters though.
                                        What is the download button labeled in the NewsLetters? Is it one of the
                                        links that transferrs me to Yahoo?
                                        As you likely know, my screen reader doesn't work well with graphics or
                                        graphic windows but I might find the link if it is labeled something I can
                                        find with a search function and click on it with the mouse even though
                                        nothing is actually read to me.
                                        Rick USA

                                        >> One question, if I set up an Apache server on my Windows
                                        >> Desk-top, can I run
                                        >> LB programs as the scripts which handle the DDl? Apache in
                                        >> native mode is
                                        >> Linux based so I'm not sure about port access etc... if I can
                                        >> manage MySql
                                        >> with LB under Windows running an Apache server.
                                        >> The base OS is Windows but the Virtual Server, if you will, is
                                        >> Apache, MySql
                                        >> and PHP.
                                        >
                                        > Rick,
                                        > the LB newsletter 126 has an article about "LB Server: CGI with LB, by
                                        > Colin McMurchie".
                                        > It uses an Apache server in conjunction with a LB program to do server
                                        > side
                                        > CGI.
                                        >
                                        > This might be a start in the right direction.
                                        >
                                        > The Newsletters are at http://babek.info/libertybasicfiles/lbnews/
                                        >
                                        > ---

                                      • Alyce Watson
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 6, 2006
                                          At 08:22 AM 4/6/2006, you wrote:

                                          >Man! This thing is getting involved! Stefan, I read the NL126 and NL127. I
                                          >can't figure out how to download the newsletters though.
                                          >What is the download button labeled in the NewsLetters? Is it one of the
                                          >links that transferrs me to Yahoo?
                                          >As you likely know, my screen reader doesn't work well with graphics or
                                          >graphic windows but I might find the link if it is labeled something I can
                                          >find with a search function and click on it with the mouse even though
                                          >nothing is actually read to me.

                                          The links to the zip files are listed below the links to the online versions.

                                          Maybe this site would be easier to navigate. Each zip is listed right
                                          after the contents for the issue:
                                          http://lbpe.wikispaces.com/Newsletters

                                          For those of you who have not yet read the April 2006 issue, you'll
                                          want to read about the changes in the newsletter, here:
                                          http://babek.info/libertybasicfiles/lbnews/nl143/index.htm#hello

                                          -Alyce

                                        • cmcmurchie
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 6, 2006
                                            Thanks Stefan for the plug for my article. I should point out though
                                            that it is very experimental and should be used with great caution. I
                                            have only tested the techniques out as local host, so I do not know
                                            anything about security, or what would happen with multiple reqests at
                                            the same time.

                                            The big problem with using LB as a server side program, like PHP or
                                            PERL, is the lack of a standard input stream and a standard output
                                            stream. My article tries to get round that.

                                            Carl has promised us standard input and standard output with LB5, which
                                            shoudl simplify things greatly.

                                            Colin
                                          • Richard Thomas
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 6, 2006
                                              Hi Colin:
                                              I read your article.
                                              Nice job! I think the technology of messing with server side scripting
                                              with LB is beyond me for now. I guess I'll put the project on hold until I
                                              learn PHP or something, download a server to my desk-top and learn
                                              everything that goes along with that and get a database running in that
                                              environment before I consider writing a LB database interface.
                                              My idea had leaned toward a pre-processor that would read LB code with
                                              embedded SQL, comment out the embedded lines and replace them with
                                              appropriate ODBC API calls. Then run the processed output through the
                                              standard LB Translator to create the tkn file.
                                              This might work for desktop apps but I'm getting a Tylonol III headache
                                              trying to put the pieces together when I try and envision the requirements
                                              to make the whole thing work as a server based solution as well as a desktop
                                              application. The PostBack process, the conversion of LB gui to html, or php
                                              or whatever, controls etc... are beyond the boundries of my limited gray
                                              matter!
                                              I guess I'll stick to desktop apps for now and see if I can get MySql or
                                              FireBird up and running before I do much else.
                                              Thanks guys.
                                              Rick USA