length of fil

  • ltdas181
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      In a random access file, how do I determine the length of the file? I
      cannot seem to find the coding to display the length of a given file.

      I know I could multiply the number of records by the length of the
      file but I want to do it backwards. I want to find the length of the
      file then divide it by the length of a record to give me the number of
      records.
    • Alyce Watson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
        At 08:34 AM 3/1/2006, you wrote:

        >In a random access file, how do I determine the length of the file?

        Look up LOF() in the helpfile.

        -Alyce

      • Bill Beasley
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
          ltdas181 wrote:

          >In a random access file, how do I determine the length of the file? I
          >cannot seem to find the coding to display the length of a given file.
          >
          >I know I could multiply the number of records by the length of the
          >file but I want to do it backwards. I want to find the length of the
          >file then divide it by the length of a record to give me the number of
          >records.

          Use built in function lof(filename) assuming you've opened filename.

          Regards,
          Bill Beasley
        • Bill Beasley
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
            ltdas181 wrote:

            >In a random access file, how do I determine the length of the file? I
            >cannot seem to find the coding to display the length of a given file.
            >
            >I know I could multiply the number of records by the length of the
            >file but I want to do it backwards. I want to find the length of the
            >file then divide it by the length of a record to give me the number of
            >records.

            I lied in my previous post....

            The LOF() funtion takes the file handle #filehandle as its argument.

            Well covered in the help file. Enjoy.

            Regards,
            Bill Beasley