Re: [libertybasic] Digest Number 2116

  • hughdad1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2006
      I too have used LB to code a Sudoku solver. It has a graphical interface, a
      section to guess and backtrack if the guess is wrong. It will find naked
      doubles, hidden singles in rows, columns or blocks, and has some simple code to
      prove the solution is legitimate. It will solve many of the puzzles, although
      it is a work in progress. I also have a version with a bunch of hard coded
      testcases and radio buttons to select which to work on. This is my testbed for
      new code, and any that the code won't solve, get added to the testcases.

      I will be glad to share it with anyone interested, but I must warn you that
      from what I see, my brain doesn't work like the others here who have an
      interest in Sudoku code. This has been an evolutionary process, and is a large
      (2.1+ k-lines) kluge. Some of the code is disabled for the graphical interface,
      and I never took it out. Most lines are commented so understanding is not out
      of the question. If I leave it for a few weeks, even I don't understand what
      the h... I was trying to do. It's been a great way to re-learn coding.

      Hugh Holland
      _Hughdad1@..._ (mailto:Hughdad1@...)

    • akaGem
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
        Can you please explain to me what naked doubles and hidden singles
        are? Thanks,
        Darryl

        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, hughdad1@... wrote:

        > I too have used LB to code a Sudoku solver. It has a graphical
        interface, a
        > section to guess and backtrack if the guess is wrong. It will
        find naked
        > doubles, hidden singles in rows, columns or blocks, and has some
        simple code to
        > prove the solution is legitimate. It will solve many of the
        puzzles, although
        > it is a work in progress. I also have a version with a bunch of
        hard coded
        > testcases and radio buttons to select which to work on. This is my
        testbed for
        > new code, and any that the code won't solve, get added to the
        testcases.

        > I will be glad to share it with anyone interested, but I must warn
        you that
        > from what I see, my brain doesn't work like the others here who
        have an
        > interest in Sudoku code. This has been an evolutionary process,
        and is a large
        > (2.1+ k-lines) kluge. Some of the code is disabled for the
        graphical interface,
        > and I never took it out. Most lines are commented so
        understanding is not out
        > of the question. If I leave it for a few weeks, even I don't
        understand what
        > the h... I was trying to do. It's been a great way to re-learn
        coding.

        > Hugh Holland
        > _Hughdad1@..._ (mailto:Hughdad1@...)

      • Louis
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
          Naked doubles are when two cells contain the same pair of candidates in a 3X3 box or
          in a row or in a column.

          for instance, a 3 & 7 in two cells only of a column.

          A hiden single is when a candidate can only occupy one cell but other candidates can
          also occupy the same cell.

          for instance, 1&5&8&9 can occupy a cell in a row but the it is the only cell that an
          8 can occupy.

          These ideas assume that you produce a grid of where every candidate can "go" in the
          3X3 "box" or row or column.

          Louis

          --- akaGem <akagem@...> wrote:

          > Can you please explain to me what naked doubles and hidden singles
          > are? Thanks,
          > Darryl
          >

          > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, hughdad1@... wrote:
          > >
          > > I too have used LB to code a Sudoku solver. It has a graphical
          > interface, a
          > > section to guess and backtrack if the guess is wrong. It will
          > find naked
          > > doubles, hidden singles in rows, columns or blocks, and has some
          > simple code to
          > > prove the solution is legitimate. It will solve many of the
          > puzzles, although
          > > it is a work in progress. I also have a version with a bunch of
          > hard coded
          > > testcases and radio buttons to select which to work on. This is my
          > testbed for
          > > new code, and any that the code won't solve, get added to the
          > testcases.
          > >
          > > I will be glad to share it with anyone interested, but I must warn
          > you that
          > > from what I see, my brain doesn't work like the others here who
          > have an
          > > interest in Sudoku code. This has been an evolutionary process,
          > and is a large
          > > (2.1+ k-lines) kluge. Some of the code is disabled for the
          > graphical interface,
          > > and I never took it out. Most lines are commented so
          > understanding is not out
          > > of the question. If I leave it for a few weeks, even I don't
          > understand what
          > > the h... I was trying to do. It's been a great way to re-learn
          > coding.
          > >
          > > Hugh Holland
          > > _Hughdad1@..._ (mailto:Hughdad1@...)

          I used to be an optimist until I knocked over the glass.

          http://mail.yahoo.com