Re: [libertybasic] BAS anything special?

  • Andrew LeTourneau
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
      GC,

      im pretty sure that a .bas file is the same as a txt file, if you change the extension on a bas to txt it opens fine, and visversa. but as far as a doc file goes, i dont think that it'll work that well, there probly is special 'makers' or what not for special features that arnt in just plain txt files. as long as you save your files in what ever word processer your useing as a plain txt file you should be fine. and i do belive that lb is set up where it colors everything after it is loaded into the program. i dont know this for sure, cause i never owned any version below 4.0 but if 4 is just as simple as a text file, one would think that going to a previous version things wouldnt get any more complex. the only thing you might have to look out for is any code change in the different versions, like the debugger might not let you run a program that would normally run fine if there wasnt a 'end if' statment or something like that.

      i think i answerd your question right,
      &y

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
        In a message dated 01/01/2006 12:20:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        andysemailis@... writes:

        > <im pretty sure that a .bas file is the same as a txt file, if you change
        > the extension on a bas to txt it opens fine, and visversa. but as far as a doc
        > file goes, i dont think that it'll work that well, there probly is special
        > 'makers' or what not for special features that arnt in just plain txt files. as
        > long as you save your files in what ever word processer your useing as a
        > plain txt file you should be fine. and i do belive that lb is set up where it
        > colors everything after it is loaded into the program. i dont know this for
        > sure, cause i never owned any version below 4.0 but if 4 is just as simple as a
        > text file, one would think that going to a previous version things wouldnt
        > get any more complex. the only thing you might have to look out for is any code
        > change in the different versions, like the debugger might not let you run a
        > program that would normally run fine if there wasnt a 'end if' statment or
        > something like that.
        >
        > i think i answerd your question right,
        > &y

        Probably yes. One thing worth trying is to create a simple program using
        WordPad and save it; and then try to open it in Liberty BASIC and see what
        happens.

        G C

      • Gordon Rahman
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
          And don't forget to save your file in plain (ASCII) text.
          This means, you must save it in .TXT mode.
          I would use notepad in stead of word because notepad saves in ASCII
          automatically.

          Gordon.

          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Chergarj@c... wrote:

          > In a message dated 01/01/2006 12:20:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          > andysemailis@y... writes:
          > >
          > > <im pretty sure that a .bas file is the same as a txt file, if
          you change
          > > the extension on a bas to txt it opens fine, and visversa. but
          as far as a doc
          > > file goes, i dont think that it'll work that well, there probly
          is special
          > > 'makers' or what not for special features that arnt in just
          plain txt files. as
          > > long as you save your files in what ever word processer your
          useing as a
          > > plain txt file you should be fine. and i do belive that lb is
          set up where it
          > > colors everything after it is loaded into the program. i dont
          know this for
          > > sure, cause i never owned any version below 4.0 but if 4 is just
          as simple as a
          > > text file, one would think that going to a previous version
          things wouldnt
          > > get any more complex. the only thing you might have to look out
          for is any code
          > > change in the different versions, like the debugger might not
          let you run a
          > > program that would normally run fine if there wasnt a 'end if'
          statment or
          > > something like that.
          > >
          > > i think i answerd your question right,
          > > &y
          > >

          > Probably yes. One thing worth trying is to create a simple
          program using
          > WordPad and save it; and then try to open it in Liberty BASIC and
          see what
          > happens.
          >
          > G C

        • carlgundel
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
            --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Chergarj@c... wrote:

            > Is a BAS file special in any way different from a text file? Can
            a BAS file
            > created in any Liberty BASIC v2.xx be run in Liberty BASIC v4.0x,
            as long as
            > the original BAS file was properly coded according to the best of
            programming
            > practices? So far, I have had no problem when I would
            occassionally run a BAS
            > file in current LB version when the BAS file was from a previous
            LB version.
            > (I understand, the TKN files and RUN*.EXE make a difference).
            >
            > If a BAS file may be the same as a simple text file, could we use
            WordPad or
            > NotePad the create a program and then LOAD the DOC or TXT file
            into the
            > Liberty BASIC editor and run this as if it were a BAS file? I
            believe I tried that
            > in the past, and it worked. Was it supposed to? Also, the LB
            editor showed
            > color coding when the TXT file was loaded.

            A BAS file is just an ASCII text file. Use whatever text editor you
            prefer to edit these files.

            -Carl
          • Jeremy
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
              --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Rahman"
              <dutch_gordon@y...> wrote:

              > And don't forget to save your file in plain (ASCII) text.
              > This means, you must save it in .TXT mode.
              > I would use notepad in stead of word because notepad saves in ASCII
              > automatically.
              >
              > Gordon.
              >
              > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Chergarj@c... wrote:
              > >
              > > In a message dated 01/01/2006 12:20:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              > > andysemailis@y... writes:
              > > >
              > > > <im pretty sure that a .bas file is the same as a txt file, if
              > you change
              > > > the extension on a bas to txt it opens fine, and visversa. but
              > as far as a doc
              > > > file goes, i dont think that it'll work that well, there probly
              > is special
              > > > 'makers' or what not for special features that arnt in just
              > plain txt files. as
              > > > long as you save your files in what ever word processer your
              > useing as a
              > > > plain txt file you should be fine. and i do belive that lb is
              > set up where it
              > > > colors everything after it is loaded into the program. i dont
              > know this for
              > > > sure, cause i never owned any version below 4.0 but if 4 is just
              > as simple as a
              > > > text file, one would think that going to a previous version
              > things wouldnt
              > > > get any more complex. the only thing you might have to look out
              > for is any code
              > > > change in the different versions, like the debugger might not
              > let you run a
              > > > program that would normally run fine if there wasnt a 'end if'
              > statment or
              > > > something like that.
              > > >
              > > > i think i answerd your question right,
              > > > &y
              > > >

              > > Probably yes. One thing worth trying is to create a simple
              > program using
              > > WordPad and save it; and then try to open it in Liberty BASIC and
              > see what
              > > happens.
              > >
              > > G C

              Hello, everyone.
              I am new here but I just noticed this post...
              .BAS, .TXT, .*, they can't be different at all. I think. You
              should be able to store the BASIC code in any form you want... because
              the program lets you! Look in preferences... "Source filename
              extention: [.BAS]" If you were to change that... then it would show
              that kind of file in the "open" window and auto-set the computer to
              open...let's say... ".DOC" with LB.

              I could be completely wrong. It just makes sense to me.

              - The Wiseone
              >> Stardate (really): 60503.6
            • pendl2megabit
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006

                > Hello, everyone.
                > I am new here but I just noticed this post...
                > .BAS, .TXT, .*, they can't be different at all. I think. You
                > should be able to store the BASIC code in any form you want... because
                > the program lets you! Look in preferences... "Source filename
                > extention: [.BAS]" If you were to change that... then it would show
                > that kind of file in the "open" window and auto-set the computer to
                > open...let's say... ".DOC" with LB.
                >
                > I could be completely wrong. It just makes sense to me.
                >
                > - The Wiseone
                > >> Stardate (really): 60503.6

                Jeremy,
                LB will not set any file association.

                A text file saved as DOC in Word or Wordpad, will not be recognised as a
                source file in LB.
                DOC files are mixedfiles, they contain binary format information and text.

                If you save a text file in Notepad as Unicode, then LB will not recognise it
                as source code.
                You can only use plain ANSI text files as LB source files.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
                  In a message dated 01/02/2006 2:33:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  pendl2megabit@... writes:
                  > If you save a text file in Notepad as Unicode, then LB will not recognise
                  > it
                  > as source code.
                  > You can only use plain ANSI text files as LB source files.

                  What does UNICODE mean?

                  G C

                • pendl2megabit
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
                    > > If you save a text file in Notepad as Unicode, then LB will not
                    > recognise
                    > > it
                    > > as source code.
                    > > You can only use plain ANSI text files as LB source files.
                    > >

                    > What does UNICODE mean?
                    >
                    > G C

                    GC,
                    Unicode is a text encoding format, that can display any text in any
                    language.
                    The main site for Unicode is at http://www.unicode.org/.

                    Unicode uses two characters to represent one character.

                    You can create a file with Notepad and save it in different encoding
                    standards.
                    The standard is to use ANSI, but you can save it as Unicode, UTF-8 or
                    Unicode Big Endian.
                    This is used to support foreign language characters.