Re: 16-bit Function Calls Under Win XP

  • carlg@libertybasic.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2001
      --- In libertybasic@y..., "Tom Lake" <tlake@t...> wrote:
      > OK, from my tests I can conclude this: In general, 16-bit function
      > calls DO work in XP. The programs that call functions in the Kernel,
      > System, User and GDI libraries work fine.

      I'm not sure, but it seems like 16-bit bit core APIs work, but other 16-bit DLLs don't. Does this mirror your experience? I'll have to find some documentation somewhere which explains fully the kind of support that NT and it's derivations provide.

      -Carl
    • Tom Lake
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2001
        > I'm not sure, but it seems like 16-bit bit core APIs work, but
        other 16-bit DLLs don't. Does this mirror your experience? I'll
        have to find some documentation somewhere which explains fully the
        kind of support that NT and it's derivations provide.

        Remember, XP is specifically designed to be MORE backward-compatible
        than NT although it's built on the NT Kernel. Since MS is going to
        convert everyone using a computer to XP, (except for those that jump
        ship to Linux!) they want as little resistance as possible.

        Tom Lake