RE: [libertybasic] Looking for people to test my download

  • Robert McAllister
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
      G C,

      The program itself works fine. I am mostly interested in finding out if
      the installer is working correctly. The URL to the website is
      www.cabinetplanner.com <http://www.cabinetplanner.com/> .If you are
      interested in trying out the program that would be great too.

      Rob

    • Chergarj@cs.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
        In a message dated 12/02/2005 7:29:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        robmcal@... writes:
        > The program itself works fine. I am mostly interested in finding out if
        > the installer is working correctly. The URL to the website is
        > www.cabinetplanner.com <http://www.cabinetplanner.com/> .If you are
        > interested in trying out the program that would be great too.

        The address did not turn into a hyperlink in the email message. You probably
        have some mechanism for hyperlink creation but you would need to examine the
        yahoo service program. You might also be able to make the link with certain
        tag features; I forgot exactly how to make those tags. I somewhat remember ,
        like:

        <A> http://somethingaddress</A>

        But not sure anymore.

        G C

      • Chergarj@cs.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
          ONE CONCERN:
          Where will the DLL and SLL files be installed? I myself prefer them to go
          into the main program's directory, although this might make no difference to
          your users. I want to be sure that when I uninstall you cabinet planner, that
          the whole package will be properly uninstalled.

          G C

        • Robert McAllister
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
            Actually my Office Outlook automatically creates a URL whenever you type
            www.anything.com <http://www.anything.com/> . Hey it did it again! I'm not
            sure what yahoo does to it after I send it though. I will try to do it the
            way you suggest. <A> http://cabinetplanner.com</A> Otherwise just type in
            "www dot cabinetplanner dot com"

            Rob

          • Tom Wade
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
              I downloaded it on a Windows based XP platform, one of the cheap models. It downloaded, extracted, installed, and ran just fine. Don't have time at the moment, but will try to examine the features a little later.

              Tom Wade
              twade@...

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                The only dll files are the ones associated with the runtime engine. You will
                be able to delete the Cabinet Planner folder and all the files will go with
                it, except for registration file which is put in a different location. It is
                harmless, but I can create a tkn that will remove it if you wish. If you use
                the uninstaller that is put in the start menu, the cabinet planner folder
                will still remain in the program folder for some reason.

                Rob

              • Chergarj@cs.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                  In a message dated 12/02/2005 8:25:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  robmcal@... writes:

                  > The only dll files are the ones associated with the runtime engine. You will
                  > be able to delete the Cabinet Planner folder and all the files will go with
                  > it, except for registration file which is put in a different location. It is
                  > harmless, but I can create a tkn that will remove it if you wish. If you use
                  > the uninstaller that is put in the start menu, the cabinet planner folder
                  > will still remain in the program folder for some reason.

                  The installation went smoothly. I chose not to put a desktop icon. The one
                  problem I found was that the start menu item would not run the program. This
                  message came:

                  Application load aborted;
                  ! File not found: CABINET PLANNER.TKN
                  [OK] ---------an OK button-----

                  The program would run directly from the EXE in the cabinet planner folder,
                  but not from the start menu.

                  Interesting you say that the registration file is in a different location. I
                  trie a FIND immediately after installing to look for any possible file in an
                  obscure location but found nothing remarkable. I easily found the
                  "Registration.dll" file in the main program's directory, and I could only guess, but
                  maybe you used some part of my idea, that of applying a DLL extension to a text
                  file; but when examing Registration.dll in notepad, I couldn't distinguish any
                  changes after 3 runs of the cabinet maker program. Your registration system
                  may entirely be yours.

                  You certainly need to investigate what is happening with the Start Menu item.
                  I have here Windows 98 SE. I have not but soon will uninstall your
                  program.

                  G C

                • Robert McAllister
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                    Thanks Tom

                  • Robert McAllister
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                      GC,

                      The registration file in the main folder is a decoy to throw people off
                      the track. Thanks for the .dll idea, I wasn't sure where I got it.

                      The start menu is an easy fix. With the Inno Settup you need to specify
                      where to link the start menu item to and I seem to have forgotten that one.

                      Thanks,

                      Rob

                    • Chergarj@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                        In a message dated 12/02/2005 9:20:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                        robmcal@... writes:

                        > The registration file in the main folder is a decoy to throw people off
                        > the track. Thanks for the .dll idea, I wasn't sure where I got it.

                        That's a neat trick. Keep the other part of the secret as yours.

                        > The start menu is an easy fix. With the Inno Settup you need to specify
                        > where to link the start menu item to and I seem to have forgotten that one.

                        You might also try a couple of other install makers. I found Setup2Go and
                        Install Creator to be some of the easiest which can permit making an installer
                        much like the one you made.

                        G C

                      • Greg Bilik
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 3, 2005
                          Hi Rob,

                          I don't know if you're on these boards also, but I found them very helpful. I also had the 'cound not find' problem and the question was answered quickly.

                          http://www.jrsoftware.org/newsgroups.php

                          Hope this helps.

                          Greg

                          Robert McAllister <robmcal@...> wrote:
                          GC,

                          The registration file in the main folder is a decoy to throw people off
                          the track. Thanks for the .dll idea, I wasn't sure where I got it.

                          The start menu is an easy fix. With the Inno Settup you need to specify
                          where to link the start menu item to and I seem to have forgotten that one.

                          Thanks,

                          Rob

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          ---------------------------------
                          Yahoo! Personals

                        • Robert McAllister
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 3, 2005
                            Thanks,

                            I was aware of the need to add "WorkingDir: "{app}" ", I just forgot to add
                            it to the start menu group. I added it last night to the full download and
                            the upgrade download.

                            Rob

                          • Storm Dragon
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 3, 2005
                              I had this same problem when packaging my Radio automation software. It
                              took some digging around in the Inno help file, but I found the solution.
                              You have to put working dir app in your shortcuts. Here's an example for
                              start menu group:
                              Name: "{group}\Your Software Title"; WorkingDir: "{app}"; Filename:
                              "{app}\Your Software Name.exe"

                              Next example for desktop icons:
                              Name: "{userdesktop}\Your Software Name"; Filename: "{app}\Your Software
                              Name.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"; Tasks: desktopicon

                              HTH
                              Visit:
                              www.stormdragon.us
                              for great software, computers, and much more!
                              Visit:
                              www.stormdragon.us/dragonstore
                              for Computer security tools, text to speech software, and more!
                              > In a message dated 12/02/2005 8:25:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                              > robmcal@... writes:
                              >>
                              >> The only dll files are the ones associated with the runtime engine. You
                              >> will
                              >> be able to delete the Cabinet Planner folder and all the files will go
                              >> with
                              >> it, except for registration file which is put in a different location. It
                              >> is
                              >> harmless, but I can create a tkn that will remove it if you wish. If you
                              >> use
                              >> the uninstaller that is put in the start menu, the cabinet planner folder
                              >> will still remain in the program folder for some reason.
                              >>

                              > The installation went smoothly. I chose not to put a desktop icon. The
                              > one
                              > problem I found was that the start menu item would not run the program.
                              > This
                              > message came:
                              >
                              > Application load aborted;
                              > ! File not found: CABINET PLANNER.TKN
                              > [OK] ---------an OK button-----
                              >
                              > The program would run directly from the EXE in the cabinet planner folder,
                              > but not from the start menu.
                              >
                              > Interesting you say that the registration file is in a different location.
                              > trie a FIND immediately after installing to look for any possible file in
                              > an
                              > obscure location but found nothing remarkable. I easily found the
                              > "Registration.dll" file in the main program's directory, and I could only
                              > guess, but
                              > maybe you used some part of my idea, that of applying a DLL extension to a
                              > text
                              > file; but when examing Registration.dll in notepad, I couldn't distinguish
                              > any
                              > changes after 3 runs of the cabinet maker program. Your registration
                              > system
                              > may entirely be yours.
                              >
                              > You certainly need to investigate what is happening with the Start Menu
                              > item.
                              > I have here Windows 98 SE. I have not but soon will uninstall your
                              > program.
                              >
                              > G C

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • pendl2megabit
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005
                                Rob,
                                the installer problem is solved now.
                                So do you have any other problems that your customers reported ???

                              • Robert McAllister
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005
                                  No, no other problems.

                                  I was preparing a disc for shipment last night and was thinking it would be
                                  nice if it would auto run when it was put in. After a little research I
                                  found out it is quit easy. This may sound like no big deal to most, but for
                                  someone who has only been at this for a year I was surprised that I was able
                                  to do it.

                                  Thanks to all for the help,

                                  Rob

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 6, 2005
                                    Rob,
                                    nice to hear that you have made it a success now.