Re: [libertybasic] Looking for people to test my download

  • Chergarj@cs.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
      .......Designing custom cabinets.........

      Not a topic that I am fascinated with, but if you want me to try test running
      it, give me the details.

      G C

    • Robert McAllister
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
        G C,

        The program itself works fine. I am mostly interested in finding out if
        the installer is working correctly. The URL to the website is
        www.cabinetplanner.com <http://www.cabinetplanner.com/> .If you are
        interested in trying out the program that would be great too.

        Rob

      • Chergarj@cs.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
          In a message dated 12/02/2005 7:29:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          robmcal@... writes:
          > The program itself works fine. I am mostly interested in finding out if
          > the installer is working correctly. The URL to the website is
          > www.cabinetplanner.com <http://www.cabinetplanner.com/> .If you are
          > interested in trying out the program that would be great too.

          The address did not turn into a hyperlink in the email message. You probably
          have some mechanism for hyperlink creation but you would need to examine the
          yahoo service program. You might also be able to make the link with certain
          tag features; I forgot exactly how to make those tags. I somewhat remember ,
          like:

          <A> http://somethingaddress</A>

          But not sure anymore.

          G C

        • Chergarj@cs.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
            ONE CONCERN:
            Where will the DLL and SLL files be installed? I myself prefer them to go
            into the main program's directory, although this might make no difference to
            your users. I want to be sure that when I uninstall you cabinet planner, that
            the whole package will be properly uninstalled.

            G C

          • Robert McAllister
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
              Actually my Office Outlook automatically creates a URL whenever you type
              www.anything.com <http://www.anything.com/> . Hey it did it again! I'm not
              sure what yahoo does to it after I send it though. I will try to do it the
              way you suggest. <A> http://cabinetplanner.com</A> Otherwise just type in
              "www dot cabinetplanner dot com"

              Rob

            • Tom Wade
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                I downloaded it on a Windows based XP platform, one of the cheap models. It downloaded, extracted, installed, and ran just fine. Don't have time at the moment, but will try to examine the features a little later.

                Tom Wade
                twade@...

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                  The only dll files are the ones associated with the runtime engine. You will
                  be able to delete the Cabinet Planner folder and all the files will go with
                  it, except for registration file which is put in a different location. It is
                  harmless, but I can create a tkn that will remove it if you wish. If you use
                  the uninstaller that is put in the start menu, the cabinet planner folder
                  will still remain in the program folder for some reason.

                  Rob

                • Chergarj@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                    In a message dated 12/02/2005 8:25:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                    robmcal@... writes:

                    > The only dll files are the ones associated with the runtime engine. You will
                    > be able to delete the Cabinet Planner folder and all the files will go with
                    > it, except for registration file which is put in a different location. It is
                    > harmless, but I can create a tkn that will remove it if you wish. If you use
                    > the uninstaller that is put in the start menu, the cabinet planner folder
                    > will still remain in the program folder for some reason.

                    The installation went smoothly. I chose not to put a desktop icon. The one
                    problem I found was that the start menu item would not run the program. This
                    message came:

                    Application load aborted;
                    ! File not found: CABINET PLANNER.TKN
                    [OK] ---------an OK button-----

                    The program would run directly from the EXE in the cabinet planner folder,
                    but not from the start menu.

                    Interesting you say that the registration file is in a different location. I
                    trie a FIND immediately after installing to look for any possible file in an
                    obscure location but found nothing remarkable. I easily found the
                    "Registration.dll" file in the main program's directory, and I could only guess, but
                    maybe you used some part of my idea, that of applying a DLL extension to a text
                    file; but when examing Registration.dll in notepad, I couldn't distinguish any
                    changes after 3 runs of the cabinet maker program. Your registration system
                    may entirely be yours.

                    You certainly need to investigate what is happening with the Start Menu item.
                    I have here Windows 98 SE. I have not but soon will uninstall your
                    program.

                    G C

                  • Robert McAllister
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                      Thanks Tom

                    • Robert McAllister
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                        GC,

                        The registration file in the main folder is a decoy to throw people off
                        the track. Thanks for the .dll idea, I wasn't sure where I got it.

                        The start menu is an easy fix. With the Inno Settup you need to specify
                        where to link the start menu item to and I seem to have forgotten that one.

                        Thanks,

                        Rob

                      • Chergarj@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                          In a message dated 12/02/2005 9:20:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                          robmcal@... writes:

                          > The registration file in the main folder is a decoy to throw people off
                          > the track. Thanks for the .dll idea, I wasn't sure where I got it.

                          That's a neat trick. Keep the other part of the secret as yours.

                          > The start menu is an easy fix. With the Inno Settup you need to specify
                          > where to link the start menu item to and I seem to have forgotten that one.

                          You might also try a couple of other install makers. I found Setup2Go and
                          Install Creator to be some of the easiest which can permit making an installer
                          much like the one you made.

                          G C

                        • Greg Bilik
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 3, 2005
                            Hi Rob,

                            I don't know if you're on these boards also, but I found them very helpful. I also had the 'cound not find' problem and the question was answered quickly.

                            http://www.jrsoftware.org/newsgroups.php

                            Hope this helps.

                            Greg

                            Robert McAllister <robmcal@...> wrote:
                            GC,

                            The registration file in the main folder is a decoy to throw people off
                            the track. Thanks for the .dll idea, I wasn't sure where I got it.

                            The start menu is an easy fix. With the Inno Settup you need to specify
                            where to link the start menu item to and I seem to have forgotten that one.

                            Thanks,

                            Rob

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            ---------------------------------
                            Yahoo! Personals

                          • Robert McAllister
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 3, 2005
                              Thanks,

                              I was aware of the need to add "WorkingDir: "{app}" ", I just forgot to add
                              it to the start menu group. I added it last night to the full download and
                              the upgrade download.

                              Rob

                            • Storm Dragon
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 3, 2005
                                I had this same problem when packaging my Radio automation software. It
                                took some digging around in the Inno help file, but I found the solution.
                                You have to put working dir app in your shortcuts. Here's an example for
                                start menu group:
                                Name: "{group}\Your Software Title"; WorkingDir: "{app}"; Filename:
                                "{app}\Your Software Name.exe"

                                Next example for desktop icons:
                                Name: "{userdesktop}\Your Software Name"; Filename: "{app}\Your Software
                                Name.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"; Tasks: desktopicon

                                HTH
                                Visit:
                                www.stormdragon.us
                                for great software, computers, and much more!
                                Visit:
                                www.stormdragon.us/dragonstore
                                for Computer security tools, text to speech software, and more!
                                > In a message dated 12/02/2005 8:25:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                > robmcal@... writes:
                                >>
                                >> The only dll files are the ones associated with the runtime engine. You
                                >> will
                                >> be able to delete the Cabinet Planner folder and all the files will go
                                >> with
                                >> it, except for registration file which is put in a different location. It
                                >> is
                                >> harmless, but I can create a tkn that will remove it if you wish. If you
                                >> use
                                >> the uninstaller that is put in the start menu, the cabinet planner folder
                                >> will still remain in the program folder for some reason.
                                >>

                                > The installation went smoothly. I chose not to put a desktop icon. The
                                > one
                                > problem I found was that the start menu item would not run the program.
                                > This
                                > message came:
                                >
                                > Application load aborted;
                                > ! File not found: CABINET PLANNER.TKN
                                > [OK] ---------an OK button-----
                                >
                                > The program would run directly from the EXE in the cabinet planner folder,
                                > but not from the start menu.
                                >
                                > Interesting you say that the registration file is in a different location.
                                > trie a FIND immediately after installing to look for any possible file in
                                > an
                                > obscure location but found nothing remarkable. I easily found the
                                > "Registration.dll" file in the main program's directory, and I could only
                                > guess, but
                                > maybe you used some part of my idea, that of applying a DLL extension to a
                                > text
                                > file; but when examing Registration.dll in notepad, I couldn't distinguish
                                > any
                                > changes after 3 runs of the cabinet maker program. Your registration
                                > system
                                > may entirely be yours.
                                >
                                > You certainly need to investigate what is happening with the Start Menu
                                > item.
                                > I have here Windows 98 SE. I have not but soon will uninstall your
                                > program.
                                >
                                > G C

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • pendl2megabit
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005
                                  Rob,
                                  the installer problem is solved now.
                                  So do you have any other problems that your customers reported ???

                                • Robert McAllister
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005
                                    No, no other problems.

                                    I was preparing a disc for shipment last night and was thinking it would be
                                    nice if it would auto run when it was put in. After a little research I
                                    found out it is quit easy. This may sound like no big deal to most, but for
                                    someone who has only been at this for a year I was surprised that I was able
                                    to do it.

                                    Thanks to all for the help,

                                    Rob

                                    _____

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 6, 2005
                                      Rob,
                                      nice to hear that you have made it a success now.