CPU Speed

  • Gordon Sweet
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 30, 2001
      I wonder if anyone could be kind, and clever enough to let me know some routine that will tell the speed of both any current, and earlier CPUs. I have Shareware that displays the latest CPUs but not the earlier 286/386/486  Bench mark methods are difficult to translate into exact speeds. Thanks in anticipation  Gordon
    • Brian Pugh
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 30, 2001
        Gordon

        If you look on Intel's site, http://www.intel.com
        they have a CPU utility for free download

        Brian Pugh

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 30, 2001
          To me comparing CPU speed over the chips is like the money over the time. It relates to wha you can do with it. A dollar a century ago is still a dollar today but think of how many breads you could aford a century ago and nowadays.

          I recently heard on one of our Belgian national (that is not commercial) radios one discussing Intel's Ghz versus another brand chip manufacturer and the end of it was the same Ghz number was not the same speed versus what was achieved by the processors.

          I just kindly comment :  what is "exact speed"  ?

          Early processors could do only one thing per clock cycle and to perform a +1 on a memory location took more than one cycle to get the instruction, get the memory value, do the "+1" and save the result back into memory, with each a cycle to have the address bus active then the data bus.

          Nowadays, processors can do several things in one time lapse of a clock cycle, so that 2 consecutive + in a program can have their results the second + completed first because the processor has the second data handy first, and is able to queue work.

          I just kindly comment : how complex it is now to make an "exact speed" benchmark program.

           Sure, the Mhz or Ghz number is no longer relevant, or accurate, or of any "meaningness".

          Guy
          Gordon Sweet wrote:
          I wonder if anyone could be kind, and clever enough to let me know some routine that will tell the speed of both any current, and earlier CPUs. I have Shareware that displays the latest CPUs but not the earlier 286/386/486  Bench mark methods are difficult to translate into exact speeds. Thanks in anticipation  Gordon

        • aliguori123
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 30, 2001
            Do not confuse megahertz ratings with speed. They are not the same at
            all. In fact, there are many things that effect the speed of a CPU.
            A Celeron 650 and a regular 650 are _not_ the same speed even though
            their megahertz ratings are the same. The difference is that there is
            only have of the cache on the celeron and therefore, it runs much
            slower since memory that is further away takes longer time to access.

            What you are trying to figure out is the MIPS (Millions Instructions
            per Second). Calculating the MIPS on a processor is not terribly
            hard. It only requires knowing the execution speed of a counter
            iteration, and then just disabling all interupts except for the clock
            interupt. Then, just determine how many times the counter can be
            iterated during an interrupt, and extrapolate to a second.

            This is how it is done, but this is not totally accurate since other
            factors have a bit of an impact on this. In fact, this number will
            vary slightly depending on how hot the computer is when it is run.

            For this reason, this number is often referred to as a BogoMIPs or
            bogus mips.

            Now, obviously, this can only be done by an Operating System since a
            normal program can't diable interupts. It also is almost impossible
            on a 286 because one cannot disable interrupts on a 286 being that
            there is no protected mode on this architecture. This is why all
            modern PC operating systems (including Windows) required _atleast_ a
            386. One can't do much with a 286 when it comes to operating systems
            since it is not possible to really have any kind of pre-emptive
            scheduling system.

            Now, if you just want to know how fast a computer is, just make a
            small loop and then use that. You will not be able to tell the
            difference between a pentium 650 and a pentium 333. In fact,
            depending on system load, you may not be able to tell the difference
            between a pentium 133 and a 1.4GHZ.

            So, the simple answer is, there is no software means to determine how
            fast the machine you are running on. Of course, you have to ask
            yourself if you really care about this. You can determine how much
            CPU you have access to at the current moment, but even to determine
            how much will be available is very difficult with intensive
            statistical analysis. Of course, I've worked on CPU and Memory
            profiling for the past two years so I may just be being a tad more
            grim then I could be :) Have to justify someway I guess ;-)

            Regards,
            Anthony
          • aliguori123
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 30, 2001
              --- In libertybasic@y..., "Gordon Sweet" <gordon@g...> wrote:
              > I wonder if anyone could be kind, and clever enough to let me know
              some routine that will tell the speed of both any current, and earlier
              CPUs. I have Shareware that displays the latest CPUs but not the
              earlier 286/386/486 Bench mark methods are difficult to translate
              into exact speeds. Thanks in anticipation Gordon

              Oh. I think I may know what your looking for. The best way to
              determine how much time a program is spending executing is to use a
              utility like gprof. Currently, it only really works with a language
              supported by GCC (C, C++, Java, Fortran, Ada, and some others).

              gprof produces a report of how many milliseconds are spent in each
              function (and therefore, is a great way to perform optimization). It
              won't work with a 286 because a 286 is an entirely different
              architecture than a 386 and above. I doubt you will find _any_
              software for a 286 because it just isn't a pratical platform (it's not
              just a slower form of a 386, but a much, much more limited
              architecture - see my other post for more info on that).

              Regards,
              Anthony
            • Gordon Sweet
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                Thanks for all the interest in attempting to determining the CPU speed using SIEVE2.BAS I summarize the results so far:-

                I have an AMD 2100+ and get 280-320ms Justin
                I have a Celerone 400 and get 820 ms Ingemar
                2G P4 - 203 ms Tom Kingston
                850 Mhz P3 Dell notebook - 350 -361 David Meyer
                2 GHz AMD Athalon XP - 320ms/330ms
                Old Win 3.1 machine - 55 seconds! John R
                Old 33 MHz 486 takes 29160 GS
                AMD K6-2 450 MHz 60 ms GS
                75 MHz DX/4 Laptop 330 ms GS
                WinXP, Compaq Presario, (equivalent of pentium3)- 621ms/711ms
                Jason Herbert SPEED???

                Jason - We need you to quote the 'supposed' speed claimed by the manufacturer. If we can collect a few more results I will feed them into my simple Average Graph program and Publish it, unless someone can think of a better method. You will notice the ms time is a little longer running a TKN version, and you do not always get exactly the same results either way everytime.

                I found a peculiarity with programs like this that only use the MAINWIN. If you create a TKN and drag it onto RUN.EXE or rename RUN.EXE to match the TKN the program aborts, without confirmation. I have therefore added a NOTICE "OK" before END.
                Gordon

              • David Meyer
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                  Gordon,

                  You left off my desktop Dell, 1.4G - 311 ms

                  David

                  At 09:07 PM 26/02/2003, you wrote:
                  >Thanks for all the interest in attempting to determining the CPU speed
                  >using SIEVE2.BAS I summarize the results so far:-
                  >
                  >I have an AMD 2100+ and get 280-320ms Justin
                  >I have a Celerone 400 and get 820 ms Ingemar
                  >2G P4 - 203 ms Tom Kingston
                  >850 Mhz P3 Dell notebook - 350 -361 David Meyer
                  >2 GHz AMD Athalon XP - 320ms/330ms
                  >Old Win 3.1 machine - 55 seconds! John R
                  >Old 33 MHz 486 takes 29160 GS
                  >AMD K6-2 450 MHz 60 ms GS
                  >75 MHz DX/4 Laptop 330 ms GS
                  >WinXP, Compaq Presario, (equivalent of pentium3)- 621ms/711ms
                  >Jason Herbert SPEED???
                  >
                  >Jason - We need you to quote the 'supposed' speed claimed by the
                  >manufacturer. If we can collect a few more results I will feed them into
                  >my simple Average Graph program and Publish it, unless someone can think
                  >of a better method. You will notice the ms time is a little longer running
                  >a TKN version, and you do not always get exactly the same results either
                  >way everytime.
                  >
                  >I found a peculiarity with programs like this that only use the MAINWIN.
                  >If you create a TKN and drag it onto RUN.EXE or rename RUN.EXE to match
                  >the TKN the program aborts, without confirmation. I have therefore added a
                  >NOTICE "OK" before END.
                  > Gordon

                • Brian
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                    AMD Duron 1.2 Ghz = 600ms

[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Andrew Gledhill
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                      where do we get the this speed test program (sieve2.bas) from ?

                      andrew

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                        > where do we get the this speed test program (sieve2.bas) from ?
                        >
                        > andrew

                        It's right in the \Liberty BASIC v3.02 folder with the rest of the demos.
                        Tom
                      • carlgundel <carlg@libertybasic.com>
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                          733 MHz P3 running W2K - 391ms

                          -Carl

                          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, David Meyer <djmeyer@h...> wrote:
                          > Gordon,
                          >
                          > You left off my desktop Dell, 1.4G - 311 ms
                          >
                          > David
                          >

                          > At 09:07 PM 26/02/2003, you wrote:
                          > >Thanks for all the interest in attempting to determining the CPU
                          speed
                          > >using SIEVE2.BAS I summarize the results so far:-
                          > >
                          > >I have an AMD 2100+ and get 280-320ms Justin
                          > >I have a Celerone 400 and get 820 ms Ingemar
                          > >2G P4 - 203 ms Tom Kingston
                          > >850 Mhz P3 Dell notebook - 350 -361 David Meyer
                          > >2 GHz AMD Athalon XP - 320ms/330ms
                          > >Old Win 3.1 machine - 55 seconds! John R
                          > >Old 33 MHz 486 takes 29160 GS
                          > >AMD K6-2 450 MHz 60 ms GS
                          > >75 MHz DX/4 Laptop 330 ms GS
                          > >WinXP, Compaq Presario, (equivalent of pentium3)- 621ms/711ms
                          > >Jason Herbert SPEED???
                          > >
                          > >Jason - We need you to quote the 'supposed' speed claimed by the
                          > >manufacturer. If we can collect a few more results I will feed
                          them into
                          > >my simple Average Graph program and Publish it, unless someone can
                          think
                          > >of a better method. You will notice the ms time is a little longer
                          running
                          > >a TKN version, and you do not always get exactly the same results
                          either
                          > >way everytime.
                          > >
                          > >I found a peculiarity with programs like this that only use the
                          MAINWIN.
                          > >If you create a TKN and drag it onto RUN.EXE or rename RUN.EXE to
                          match
                          > >the TKN the program aborts, without confirmation. I have therefore
                          added a
                          > >NOTICE "OK" before END.
                          > > Gordon

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • Andrew Gledhill
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                            well that make me feel a bit silly

                            1.4ghz amd win xp - home (SP1) 460ms

                          • bbjen@hotPOP.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                              800K AMD running w98 - 660ms

                              ---
                              [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by http://www.intouchmi.com]
                            • Brian Rankin
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                                Celeron 366/win98se:898m/s

                                Brian.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                                  333 Mhz PII on a Gateway with Win XP = 731 msec.

                                  --
                                  Jim & Jan Brossman - Sno-Dragon Siberians - Durango, Colorado
                                  Show Secretary Web Site - http://users.sisna.com/jbross/showsec.html
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                                    1.2ghz AMD, WIN XP - 490ms
                                  • Foon
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                                      Intel PIII 1G 350ms (WinXP-Pro, with lots of other stuff running :)

                                      - Foon
                                    • Justin
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                                        If you have things open, that test should be fine.
                                        If you actually have processes using CPU resources,
                                        (numbers being crunched, mouse being moved, etc.)
                                        then the test is not applicable.
                                        Based on your score I would assume (there I go again)
                                        your 1G was ~99% free at test time.

                                        Justin.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                                          Architecture | Speed (MHz) | O/S | Max | Min | Avrg
                                          -------------|-------------|---------|-----|-----|------
                                          Celeron Mob | ~696 | W2k SP2 | 421 | 390 | 401

                                          As you mentioned before there are diffrent results when you execute
                                          the code. So I came across to run the sieve twenty times and collect
                                          minimum, maximum and average values.

                                          Stefan

                                          Code follows:

                                          'sieve3.bas
                                          'Notice that arrays are globally visible to functions.
                                          'The sieve() function uses the flags() array.
                                          'This is a Sieve benchmark adapted from BYTE 1985
                                          'May, page 286

                                          size = 7000
                                          dim flags(7001)

                                          num = 20
                                          dim runtime(num)

                                          for times = 1 to num
                                          print ".";
                                          start = time$("ms")
                                          for i = 0 to size
                                          if flags(i) = 0 then
                                          prime = i + i + 3
                                          k = i + prime
                                          while k <= size
                                          flags(k) = 1
                                          k = k + prime
                                          wend
                                          sieve = sieve + 1
                                          end if
                                          next
                                          runtime(times) = time$("ms") - start
                                          sum = sum + runtime(times)
                                          next

                                          print

                                          sort runtime(), 1, num
                                          avg = int(sum / num)
                                          min = runtime(1)
                                          max = runtime(num)

                                          print
                                          print "Maximum ... "; max
                                          print "Minimum ... "; min
                                          print "Average ... "; avg
                                          end
                                        • Doyle Whisenant
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 26, 2003
                                            pendl2megabit wrote:

                                            >Architecture | Speed (MHz) | O/S | Max | Min | Avrg
                                            >-------------|-------------|---------|-----|-----|------
                                            >Celeron Mob | ~696 | W2k SP2 | 421 | 390 | 401

                                            Running this program I get:

                                            Maximum ... 550
                                            Minimum ... 490
                                            Average ... 525

                                            450 Mhz PII, 128 meg, Win 98

                                            --
                                            Doyle Whisenant
                                            mechanic@...
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                                              AMD 1.4 Ghz running W2K - 337ms (average after running SIEVE2.BAS 1000 times)
                                              Kevin