wireless phone on laptop?

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2005
      okay, i have a wireless phone with a 2.4 GHZ frequency. when ever some
      one calls the wireless network gets nocked out till you hag up, but it
      still says signal strength is excelent. My question is there a way to
      write a program so you could pick up and use the laptop as the phone
      useint the microphone and speakers?

      Thaks,
      Andy L.
    • Brian Schmalz
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2005
        Andy,
        I'm assuming your laptop has WiFi as it's networking method, and not a cell-phone PCMCIA card or some such.

        In answer to your question, anything is possible, it's only software. :) But you'd have to have the right hardware. Your WiFi network card in your laptop is not able to communicate with the cell phone towers, so you can't write code to directly support 'cell phone' features on your laptop. That being said, there is software out there (Skype comes to mind) that turns your computer into a 'phone', by using VoIP (which will work just fine over a WiFi connection). So there is a round-about way to do what you want. If you want to use a VoIP phone software as your only phone, you can do that too. I have tried many VoIP software-only packages, and I have to tell you, using the microphone and speaker from a laptop is not fun. It's much better if you connect a handset to your laptop and use that if you do VoIP much.

        *Brian

        okay, i have a wireless phone with a 2.4 GHZ frequency. when ever some
        one calls the wireless network gets nocked out till you hag up, but it
        still says signal strength is excelent. My question is there a way to
        write a program so you could pick up and use the laptop as the phone
        useint the microphone and speakers?

        Thaks,
        Andy L.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Andrew LeTourneau

          okay, i have a wireless phone with a 2.4 GHZ frequency. when ever some
          one calls the wireless network gets nocked out till you hag up, but it
          still says signal strength is excelent. My question is there a way to
          write a program so you could pick up and use the laptop as the phone
          useint the microphone and speakers?

          Thaks,
          Andy L.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Disruptive behavior

          ---------------------------------

        • glitz486
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
            --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Andrew LeTourneau
            <andysemailis@y...> wrote:
            > It is WiFi that om useing, but not a cell phone, a cordless phone.
            like, just for around the house and stuff. so if some one was able to
            wright a program where it would be like a walkie talkie just on a
            diferent frequency. Is there a way to use liberty basic to get the
            input from the network adapter (it's an itergrated wifi) and some how
            convert the data into sound?

            > andy
            >

            > Brian Schmalz <brian.s@l...> wrote:
            > Andy,
            > I'm assuming your laptop has WiFi as it's networking method,
            and not a cell-phone PCMCIA card or some such.

            > In answer to your question, anything is possible, it's only
            software. :) But you'd have to have the right hardware. Your WiFi
            network card in your laptop is not able to communicate with the cell
            phone towers, so you can't write code to directly support 'cell phone'
            features on your laptop. That being said, there is software out there
            (Skype comes to mind) that turns your computer into a 'phone', by
            using VoIP (which will work just fine over a WiFi connection). So
            there is a round-about way to do what you want. If you want to use a
            VoIP phone software as your only phone, you can do that too. I have
            tried many VoIP software-only packages, and I have to tell you, using
            the microphone and speaker from a laptop is not fun. It's much better
            if you connect a handset to your laptop and use that if you do VoIP much.

            > *Brian

            Trick is.. Even tho they work on the same set of frequencies, and they
            are both (probably, in the case of the cordless phone)digital, they
            will be completely incompatible for many reasons, like different usage
            of spread spectrum, (Spreading codes are pretty much built-in and MUST
            match) different encoding of the digital data, and the fact that they
            are built to do different things.

            You are seeing excellent signal strength beause of the strange
            complexities of spread spectrum modulation. Theoretically two signals
            can be on the same "channel" at the same time, and not interfere with
            each other.. In practice tho, the phone will interfere just enough to
            keep data from flowing.

            Get a 900 mhz phone..(Better range, cheaper, just as secure if it's
            spread spectrum) Or change the "channels" on both the phone and WiFi
            until you find a combination that doesn't whack your connection. Then
            get a modem with voice capabilities. Most that I have seen look like a
            sound card to windows..