Re: [libertybasic] Re: Old New Stuff

  • Ken Green
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 3, 2005
      Yes, Wal-Mart did offered a bare bone computer loaded with Linspire,
      a GUI version of Linux. At http://www.linspire.com/, there is a link
      to bare bone computers offering Linspire v5. On the website, they offer
      a demo video of Linspire. I am keeping Windows 98SE primary for using
      Liberty BASIC while I use Linspire as my main operating system.

      Ken Green

      David Speck wrote:

      >GC,
      >I heard that Walmart was offering a while ago a bare bones machine for
      >$199 that came with a version of LINUX. Don't know if they are still
      >offering them.

    • Zoom Kat
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 3, 2005
        >From: Chergarj@...
        >To: libertybasic@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [libertybasic] Re: Old New Stuff
        >Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 16:49:31 EDT

        >In a message dated 09/03/2005 1:35:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        >MedelecInstruments@... writes:
        > > GC,
        > > If Mr. Gates has his way, you will have the privilege of buying all new
        > > software from M$.
        > >
        >..., etc,...
        >
        >I feel stuck. Maybe one day, I might change to MacIntosh system, but
        >nearly
        >every important file I have was created in Windows; the only good thing I
        >foresee is that one day we will have a gui version of Liberty BASIC which
        >will
        >function in the MacIntosh operating system. Right now, I only have access
        >Windows 98SE, and XP. Almost everything I used during the last 10 years
        >has been
        >for Windows.
        >
        >You said something about cheap computers being available which have Linux?
        >Clarify that!. What about a good textbook for learning Linux?

        You can get "barebones" computers with no OS, or even get the cheap
        Emachines and delete the windows and install linux. You can start with the
        "linux for dummies" types of books (go to books-a-million or barns&noble and
        do some linux reading there). I think you will find that linux is still for
        geek types.
      • Ken Green
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 3, 2005
          The reason I use Linspire is its GUI. There is no command line geek
          stuff to do. I rarely ever use the command line usage but I can access
          it if needed. The GUI desktop is like a Windows desktop display, all
          graphic and icons.

          Ken Green

        • briman_27@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 3, 2005
            You said something about cheap computers being available which have
            Linux?
            Clarify that!. What about a good textbook for learning Linux?

            G C

            GC,
            I was a few years ago launched into the depths of Unix(linux)"pick a
            flavor"
            Ive been using Redhat mostly since then as for running servers.
            For the last 2 years ive been running Centos EL 2.1 and 3.0
            (a distro based on RHEL EL)But Centos is free.

            I found books....online resources...But thankfully I met a few
            friends along the way that offered me more help then I could ever
            expect.

            I would be willing to help, as im sure other LB users that know Linux
            would also be willing, to help you with the "learning curve" of the
            linux OS.

            If you need help we are an e-mail away :-)

            Brian
          • bbjen@hotPOP.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 4, 2005
              Hi,

              I have a program that calls a number of TKN files that runs OK. But when I
              copy all the files to a flashcard (formatted, so that it looks like a
              drive), running the program tells me that it can't find any of the tokens.
              I even tried re-creating the tokens from LB4 files on the flashcard.

              Has anyone else run into this? I'd like to share this programming with
              friends via a flashcard.

              Bill J.
            • William Lopez
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 4, 2005
                I haven't found any problems, Bill. I use a USB "jump drive" to move
                all my files and programs from my desktop to my laptop. No problems.

                I assume you are running your LB program from C:\ drive. When
                you "called" the TKN files on your flash card, did you specify the
                full path to the TKN? They should run fine if you have provided the
                complete path.

                Hope this helps!
              • bbjen@hotPOP.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 4, 2005
                  At 06:44 PM 9/4/05 -0000, you wrote:
                  >I haven't found any problems, Bill. I use a USB "jump drive" to move
                  >all my files and programs from my desktop to my laptop. No problems.
                  >
                  >I assume you are running your LB program from C:\ drive. When
                  >you "called" the TKN files on your flash card, did you specify the
                  >full path to the TKN? They should run fine if you have provided the
                  >complete path.
                  >-----------------------------
                  Thanks for the quick response.

                  All the files are together on one folder in the flash card, and I created
                  the TKN files there. I didn't think I needed to spec the path. But I'll
                  try it anyway.

                  Thanks again, Bill J.
                • Gordon Sweet
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 4, 2005
                    To try to overcome the tendency by MS to ignore previous software, and versions of Windows each time they dream up new versions of Windows etc, I run and old 486 here on my left her alongside the current PC using Win. XP Home, to run much of the old stuff especially old DOS games. However I discovered on a QB forum there is a very useful free DOSBOX software that allows me to run almost all the old DOS games etc obtainable from:-

                    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

                    On my site for anyone to download, I have my attempt to convert any file to an ASCII file, with options to remove such as unwanted lines and spaces. Its is named WCONVERT.BAS among LBtools.zip, but I must admit it does not do the jobs perfectly in view of the complexities involved. However I have just checked it did convert Word DOC and EXCEL XMS files. Here is a simple basis for removing unwanted CHR$ from any file, if of any interest.

                    Gordon S.

                    REM A$ = original file, X$ = new file
                    K = 1 :OPEN A$ FOR INPUT AS #3
                    OPEN X$ FOR OUTPUT AS #2
                    OK2 = 0 : WHILE OK2 = 0
                    [950] IF EOF(#3) < 0 THEN OK2 = 1: GOTO [990]
                    N$ = INPUT$(#3,1) : N = asc(N$)
                    IF N = 10 AND prev = 13 THEN K = 1
                    IF N < 9 OR N > 126 THEN GOTO [950]
                    IF N > 13 and N < 32 THEN GOTO [950]
                    PRINT #2, CHR$(N); : K = K + 1
                    prev = N
                    REM 80 could be max. line lenght
                    IF K > 80 THEN PRINT #2, " " : K = 1 : MX = MX +1
                    [990] WEND
                    close #2 : close #3 : return

                  • r.hosang@att.net
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 5, 2005
                      Thanks Gordon,

                      I'll look up That website, and I'll definitely check out your site as well.

                      Bob Hosang

                      -------------- Original message from "Gordon Sweet" <gordon@...>: --------------

[...]

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      Visit your group "libertybasic" on the web.

                    • r.hosang@att.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 5, 2005
                        Thanks Brian,

                        I'll be sure to remember that. I'll contact you privately.

                        Bob Hosang

                        -------------- Original message from " " <briman_27@...>: --------------

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 5, 2005
                          Hi

                          Talking about support for old software, in the 64-bit version of Win XP Pro I'm running,
                          Microsoft has oficially dropped support for 16-bit software. I actually have some DOS games
                          that run on my computer with the 32-bit XP home. You have to have the right dll's.

                          Bob

                          -------------- Original message from Chergarj@...: --------------

                          In a message dated 09/02/2005 8:18:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                          carlg@... writes:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > If you're wondering if LB will run on 64-bit versions of Windows, I suspect
                          > that the
                          > answer will be yes for years to come. Microsoft will probably not abandon
                          > support of
                          > Win32 software for a long, long time.
                          >
                          > -Carl

                          At least you made this as an obvious opinion. If the opposite of what you
                          expect occurs, then are we stuck?

                          G C