Stack Overflow when execution is triggered by Scheduler "Startup"

  • lvhajos
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 15, 2005
      My program is very simple.
      It simply writes the date & time to a logfile
      when initated by the Scheduler at "startup".
      Works fine on Win/98/Nt but fails with XP Pro.
      The task never ends and creates an "errorlog"
      stating Message 3005:
      Virtual Machine Stack Overflow.
      Possibly I need to tweek the VM environment
      but don't have a clue.
      Vic Hajos
    • carlgundel
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 15, 2005
        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "lvhajos" <lvhajos@y...> wrote:
        > My program is very simple.
        > It simply writes the date & time to a logfile
        > when initated by the Scheduler at "startup".
        > Works fine on Win/98/Nt but fails with XP Pro.
        > The task never ends and creates an "errorlog"
        > stating Message 3005:
        > Virtual Machine Stack Overflow.
        > Possibly I need to tweek the VM environment
        > but don't have a clue.

        Hi, are you using LB v4.02? I can't be sure, but it may solve your
        problem because it has some fixes in regards to stack overflows.

        Download it at http://www.libertybasic.com/download.html

        -Carl
      • lvhajos
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 16, 2005
          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "carlgundel" <carlg@l...> wrote:
          > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "lvhajos" <lvhajos@y...> wrote:
          > > My program is very simple.
          > > It simply writes the date & time to a logfile
          > > when initated by the Scheduler at "startup".
          > > Works fine on Win/98/Nt but fails with XP Pro.
          > > The task never ends and creates an "errorlog"
          > > stating Message 3005:
          > > Virtual Machine Stack Overflow.
          > > Possibly I need to tweek the VM environment
          > > but don't have a clue.
          >
          > Hi, are you using LB v4.02? I can't be sure, but it may solve your
          > problem because it has some fixes in regards to stack overflows.
          >
          > Download it at http://www.libertybasic.com/download.html
          >
          > -Carl

          Thanks for the response but I am using 4.02. If I execute the program
          after loggin in to XP it works fine. Only fails in the manner that I
          wish to use it and that is to record boot activity. Don't have the
          source on this PC but will post it later.
          Vic
        • pendl2megabit
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 16, 2005
            Vic,
            the stack overflow happens, because Windows is not yet fully initialized.
            You should start your program one or two minutes after startup.
            I would advice you to include a delay in your program, before you display a
            window or do file access ;-)

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2005
              Stefan,
              Thanks for your imput on my simple program. I have put this on
              Windows 95/98/NT & it works ok starting it with the scheduler. I
              would hope that Win/XP would not start a program from the scheduler if
              it was not ready to do so! Is that asking too much of Microsoft? I
              think that this is a XP problem & not a LB problem. I haven't had the
              chance to test it on 2KPro but will report on it soon.
              Thanks again for your valued thoughts.
              Vic
              --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "pendl2megabit"
              <pendl2megabit@y...> wrote:
              > Vic,
              > the stack overflow happens, because Windows is not yet fully
              initialized.
              > You should start your program one or two minutes after startup.
              > I would advice you to include a delay in your program, before you
              display a
              > window or do file access ;-)
              >
              > ---
              > Stefan Pendl

              anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de
            • pendl2megabit
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2005
                Vic,
                I encounter this problem from time to time, because I use a LB program in a
                logon script.
                I have no problem when I place it in the AUTOSTART folder.

                The use of a delay might be the solution, because the scheduler and the
                logon script are both started nearly at the same time, whereas the autostart
                folder contents are started some time afterwards.