3 dimmensinional arrays

  • tony summerfelt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
      from the docs:

      'create an array big enough to hold 10x10x10 elements
      dim myArray$(10, 100)

      'set a value in the array in 3 dimensions
      call setMyArray$ 5, 6, 7, "Here I am!"

      'now fetch and print out the value
      print getMyArray$(5, 6, 7)

      end

      sub setMyArray$ x, y, z, value$
      myArray$(x, y + z * 10) = value$
      end sub

      function getMyArray$(x, y, z)
      getMyArray$ = myArray$(x, y + z * 10)
      end function

      it sounds like a nice idea but if I want to place a value at 10,10,10
      like:

      call setMyArray$ 10, 10, 10, "Here I am!"

      the associated call:

      print getMyArray$(10, 10, 10)

      gets an error as expected. the fix is to dim the array larger:

      dim myArray$(10, 120)

      this could probably be noted in the docs.

      --
      http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
      telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
        Tony,
        since the second value is calculated like y + z * 10 the array must be dimmed
        to 10 + 10 * 10 elements, which is 110.
        There will be an update to the helpfile, I will post this at the helpfile bugs
        board at conforums.