Re: [libertybasic] Limits in Freeform

  • David Speck
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2005
      Om,
      I ran into this limit a while ago, trying to do something similar.

      If you look at the code for FreeForm, which is supplied, you can find
      the array that holds the pertinent elements and dimension it to some
      larger number that 100, and them you can make as many boxes as needed.

      Dave

      om_namah_shivaya wrote:

      >This is not a complaint. I am delighted with LB and Freeform.
      >This is my second or third week using it.
      >
      >But I did encounter what seems to be a limit in Freeform.
      >
      >I was creating a window with 100 checkboxes (see code below).

    • om_namah_shivaya
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
        Thanks a million, Dave, or more precisely, thanks 400. I increased
        two arrays from 100 to 400. I didnt even realize that the code was
        provided for freeform.bas. This forum is so wonderful and helpful.
        Three cheers for Liberty Basic!

        Which reminds me of a joke: A wake was being held in a certain
        farmhouse, and the deceased in his casket had been placed on three
        chairs in the parlor. So many people arrived that there was not room
        for them all. The whiskey was flowing freely. They needed the extra
        three chairs, so they proped the casket against the wall and took the
        chairs. The priest arrived, and was angry to see such disrespect for
        the dead. He turned to the enebriated crowed and sternly said, "I
        want three chairs for the deceased RIGHT NOW." They all responded in
        merry unison, "Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!"

        Call it an error in syntax.

        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, David Speck
        <MedelecInstruments@D...> wrote:
        > Om,
        > I ran into this limit a while ago, trying to do something similar.
        >
        > If you look at the code for FreeForm, which is supplied, you can
        find
        > the array that holds the pertinent elements and dimension it to
        some
        > larger number that 100, and them you can make as many boxes as
        needed.

        > Dave
        >
        > om_namah_shivaya wrote:
        >
        > >This is not a complaint. I am delighted with LB and Freeform.
        > >This is my second or third week using it.
        > >
        > >But I did encounter what seems to be a limit in Freeform.
        > >
        > >I was creating a window with 100 checkboxes (see code below).

      • William E. Lopez
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
          100 (+) checkboxes on one form? That's quite a lot. Could you accomplish the same task using a LISTBOX or COMBOBOX? It might make your menu more user friendly and definitely easier to write the code. Then again, there may be a specific reason why you need the checkboxes. The choice is yours.

          Sincerely,

          Welopez
          welopez@...
          http://welopez.mystarband.net/

        • John Davidson
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
            --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "om_namah_shivaya"
            <om_namah_shivaya@y...> wrote:

            > This is not a complaint. I am delighted with LB and Freeform.
            > This is my second or third week using it.
            >
            > But I did encounter what seems to be a limit in Freeform.
            >
            > I was creating a window with 100 checkboxes (see code below).
            >
            > When I went to add the very last checkbox, the freeform program
            died.
            > Fortunately, I am in the habit of saving things frequently under
            > different names, so I can revert to an earlier stage.
            >
            > I loaded an earlier version (with 99 checkboxes) and generated the
            > code. Then I manually added the extra 100th check box.

            As memory serves, the 100 control limit is due to dialogs, they can't
            hold as many controls as other type windows.
            This is a Windows© limit.

            On my machine the ceiling is 164 with no more than 92 textboxs.

            Due to lazy programming practices, Freeform3 allows you to design up
            to 100 controls of any type with no distinction between window, or
            control, types.

            >The other thing I noticed is that when I tried to put tooltips on a
            >few check boxes, they did not work, even though I changed the
            >freeform settings to generate code for tooltips.

            Again, this is due to lazy programming practices.
            The assumption was that if FF's tooltip routine caused problems with
            2000, which it does, it would also cause problems with Xp.
            To make matters worse, the assumption is carried over to the output
            code.

            FYI, Freeform3 has it's own User's Group,
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreeForm3/ , and you will find the
            latest versions there.
            It is also a good place to report bugs and request features.

            >I see now that for large screens, I must use freeform to generate a
            >certain number of window objects, and then manually paste the code
            >into the larger program.

            Well that's certainly one way!
            Myself, I would create everything at one time.
            You can 'drag' controls off screen with no problem.
            To adjust these hidden controls, select the Control menu and List All
            Controls.

            You can select a control from the list to edit it's perimeters.

            To date, the 100 control limit hasn't generated a lot of attention as
            most folks figure a way to reuse controls.

            John
          • Sitaram
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
              John, Thanks so much for the link to the freeform
              egroup.

              Are you saying that instead of having many many
              controls, developers will write programs that alter
              controls on the fly, changing their cunctionality,
              position, appearance. That sounds interesting.

              Someone else make the comment that 100 check boxes is
              a lot.

              I have an idea for an unusual program, where 100
              checkboxes on one huge screen might make sense. When
              I have something halfway decent to post, you will see
              what I am trying to do. I dont want to say ahead of
              time, because then all the LB wizards will dash it off
              in a design 10 times more clever than my own, and I
              want to have some fun struggling with the concept
              before I post it and see how REAL programmers would do
              it.

              It is fascinating and instructive to hear some of the
              real reasons that lead to the 100 limit....

              --- John Davidson <johnshomeport@...> wrote:

              > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com,
              > "om_namah_shivaya"
              > <om_namah_shivaya@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > This is not a complaint. I am delighted with LB
              > and Freeform.
              > > This is my second or third week using it.
              > >
              > > But I did encounter what seems to be a limit in
              > Freeform.
              > >
              > > I was creating a window with 100 checkboxes (see
              > code below).
              > >
              > > When I went to add the very last checkbox, the
              > freeform program
              > died.
              > > Fortunately, I am in the habit of saving things
              > frequently under
              > > different names, so I can revert to an earlier
              > stage.
              > >
              > > I loaded an earlier version (with 99 checkboxes)
              > and generated the
              > > code. Then I manually added the extra 100th check
              > box.
              >
              > As memory serves, the 100 control limit is due to
              > dialogs, they can't
              > hold as many controls as other type windows.
              > This is a Windows� limit.
              >
              > On my machine the ceiling is 164 with no more than
              > 92 textboxs.
              >
              > Due to lazy programming practices, Freeform3 allows
              > you to design up
              > to 100 controls of any type with no distinction
              > between window, or
              > control, types.
              >
              > >The other thing I noticed is that when I tried to
              > put tooltips on a
              > >few check boxes, they did not work, even though I
              > changed the
              > >freeform settings to generate code for tooltips.
              >
              > Again, this is due to lazy programming practices.
              > The assumption was that if FF's tooltip routine
              > caused problems with
              > 2000, which it does, it would also cause problems
              > with Xp.
              > To make matters worse, the assumption is carried
              > over to the output
              > code.
              >
              > FYI, Freeform3 has it's own User's Group,
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreeForm3/ , and you
              > will find the
              > latest versions there.
              > It is also a good place to report bugs and request
              > features.
              >
              > >I see now that for large screens, I must use
              > freeform to generate a
              > >certain number of window objects, and then manually
              > paste the code
              > >into the larger program.
              >
              > Well that's certainly one way!
              > Myself, I would create everything at one time.
              > You can 'drag' controls off screen with no problem.
              > To adjust these hidden controls, select the Control
              > menu and List All
              > Controls.
              >
              > You can select a control from the list to edit it's
              > perimeters.
              >
              > To date, the 100 control limit hasn't generated a
              > lot of attention as
              > most folks figure a way to reuse controls.
              >

              > John

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • John Davidson
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
                > Are you saying that instead of having many many
                > controls, developers will write programs that alter
                > controls on the fly, changing their cunctionality,
                > position, appearance. That sounds interesting.

                You betcha! To me, the ability to create and manipulate
                a GUI is the real power behind LB!
                Here's a little demo that 'flips' GUI pages by simply
                relabeling and reusing the textboxs.

                John

                ' Code
                'Form created with the help of Freeform 3 v03-27-03
                'Generated on Apr 01, 2005 at 10:45:58

                nomainwin
                WindowWidth = 300
                WindowHeight = 175
                UpperLeftX=int((DisplayWidth-WindowWidth)/2)
                UpperLeftY=int((DisplayHeight-WindowHeight)/2)

                statictext #1.st1, "First Name", 30, 17,100, 20
                statictext #1.st2, "Last Name", 155, 22,100, 20

                textbox #1.textbox1, 30, 42,100, 25
                textbox #1.textbox2, 155, 42,100, 25

                button #1.b1,"<",[previousPage],UL,220, 82, 17, 25
                button #1.b2,">",[nextPage], UL,240, 82, 17, 25

                open "untitled" for dialog as #1
                print #1, "font ms_sans_serif 8"
                print #1, "trapclose [quit.1]"

                print #1.b1,"!disable"