Re: [libertybasic] Re: Alyce's e-book

  • Storm Dragon
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 2 6:40 PM
      What is the difference in compiled HTML and HTML? HTML, like WebPages are
      made with would work very well, because it could be read in Internet
      Explorer and links to chapters would make finding information a breeze.
      Also,as you probably know, W-E has always worked well with Internet
      Explorer. I am glad you got your program working.

      Visit my website:
      www.stormdragon.us
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 3 5:03 AM
        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Storm Dragon"
        <stormdragon2976@c...> wrote:

        > What is the difference in compiled HTML and HTML?

        Since Windows98, most apps have used the CHM format for their help
        systems. It compiles HTML pages into a single file. You can create
        such a compiled file yourself with MS free Help Workshop. Here's a
        tutorial:

        http://babek.info/libertybasicfiles/lbnews/nl108/chm.htm

        -Alyce
      • Alyce
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 3 5:11 AM
          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <rthomas@t...> wrote:
          > Hi Storm:
          > Alyce wrote me to say she could do it in txt or another form.

          Not TXT, sorry. I can create a word DOC. It is very long and
          cumbersome, though, being more than 500 pages. It is available in
          PDF already. One of the formats like HLP or CHM allows you to click
          links to get to specific locations swiftly. I can also provide plain
          HTML to those who need it. I do this for individuals who have
          special needs, but I prefer not to distribute plain HTML or DOC
          files to the public because they can be altered easily. Feel free to
          send me a private message if you have a special need and I'll try to
          provide a solution.

          Thanks,

          -Alyce
        • Tom Kingston
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 3 6:08 AM
            Hey Rick,

            The compiled HTML format works great with Window-Eyes. It is very different
            than the nightmare of the old standard Windows help files. It is essentially
            a HTML document with a structured table of contents you can browse or
            search. When you find the topic you want, simply press ENTER followed by F6
            to change focus to the context window. It will work just like a web page in
            MSAA mode. Then just press F6 again to return to the table of contents. I
            use it all the time. It's priceless.

            Good luck,
            Tom

          • Chergarj@cs.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 3 8:55 AM
              In a message dated 03/03/2005 5:07:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              alycewatson@... writes:
              > Since Windows98, most apps have used the CHM format for their help
              > systems. It compiles HTML pages into a single file. You can create
              > such a compiled file yourself with MS free Help Workshop. Here's a
              > tutorial:
              >
              > http://babek.info/libertybasicfiles/lbnews/nl108/chm.htm
              >
              > -Alyce

              As an alternative, you could try helpndoc, which also requires the presence
              of HTML Help WorkShop. Helpndoc is very easy to learn.

              G C

            • Rick
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 7 12:51 PM
                Hi guys;
                Well, I got the chem version and it is indeed quite screen reader friendly
                so far. However, I started reading about API's and got a browser error
                saying something about script error. The error message isn't readable using
                windoweyes keyboard keys but is using the numpad keys. Any idea how to copy
                and paste using the numpad keys, that is if you use windoweyes? I want to
                copy the error msg to put up on the list as accurately as possible and
                using my ears I might miss something if I just try and copy the message
                letter by letter to a text file for inclusion to an e-mail message. I asked
                on the Windoweyes site too so I'll figure something out and do it by hand if
                it is the only route.
                Rick of Farmington Mich. USA
              • Tom Kingston
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 8 5:54 AM
                  From: "Rick" <rthomas@...>

                  > Hi guys;
                  > Well, I got the chm version and it is indeed quite screen reader friendly
                  > so far. However, I started reading about API's and got a browser error
                  > saying something about script error. The error message isn't readable
                  > using
                  > windoweyes keyboard keys but is using the numpad keys. Any idea how to
                  > copy
                  > and paste using the numpad keys, that is if you use windoweyes? I want to
                  > copy the error msg to put up on the list as accurately as possible and
                  > using my ears I might miss something if I just try and copy the message
                  > letter by letter to a text file for inclusion to an e-mail message. I
                  > asked
                  > on the Windoweyes site too so I'll figure something out and do it by hand
                  > if
                  > it is the only route.
                  > Rick of Farmington Mich. USA

                  Hey Rick,

                  Yeah, I've gotten this error on occasion as well. Hasn't been a real problem
                  so I've never even mentioned it or tried to capture it. Just chalked it up
                  to another one of those computer glitches. I'll try to tackle it the next
                  time but let me know if you discover the root of the problem in the mean
                  time. I'd be curious to see if anyone else has experienced this so as to
                  eliminate our screen-readers as the cause.

                  Thanks,
                  Tom
                • Rick
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 8 7:48 AM
                    Hi Tom;
                    You too? Well here is what I did that brought up the error;
                    click on companion exe.
                    open tutorial
                    open using dynamic link libraries
                    open API fundementals
                    click on making API calls
                    At this point I get an error message that the browser found an invalid value
                    on line
                    3 of a script in the .chm file. It is looking for a semi colon but can't
                    find it.
                    I replied to a private e-mail from Alyce with the details and am waiting to
                    hear
                    from her. Try looking at the
                    making api calls tutorial and see if you get an error. There isn't much
                    more to
                    say until I hear from her. Because the error included a url to her site it
                    might
                    be a secure location so I didn't post the full message on list just in case.
                    I don't
                    think it would be screen reader related unless the script is using some
                    buffer or
                    something that Windoweyes uses and that's not likely but who knows. It's
                    more likely
                    the script was either an example of an api call which is inadvertently being
                    executed
                    or a link to some verification or tutorial information on her site which
                    might have
                    been corrupted. I'm running Windows 98 second edition, I/E 6.0 and
                    Windoweyes 4.2, pretty
                    old stuff. If you find out anything let me know as I'd like to read this
                    section before going on to more complex topics on API calls.
                    Rick of Farmington Mich. USA
                  • Alyce
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 8 9:06 AM
                      --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <rthomas@t...> wrote:
                      > Hi Tom;
                      > You too? Well here is what I did that brought up the error;
                      > click on companion exe.
                      > open tutorial
                      > open using dynamic link libraries
                      > open API fundementals
                      > click on making API calls
                      > At this point I get an error message that the browser found an
                      invalid value
                      > on line
                      > 3 of a script in the .chm file. It is looking for a semi colon
                      but can't
                      > find it.

                      Since the only time this has been reported is by people using
                      WindowEyes, I have not encountered this before. It is almost
                      certainly a bug in my help authoring tool when it is preparing the
                      document for compilation into CHM format by MS Help Workshop.

                      I will be happy to create the set of plain HTML files and send them
                      to anybody who uses WindowEyes and cannot access all of the pages in
                      the CHM version. Just send me an email with your request.

                      Thanks,
                      Alyce
                    • Rick
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 8 6:40 PM
                        Hi Alyce;
                        Well, I played around and although the message came up I was able to access
                        the info I think. So dont worry about the native html version of the book.
                        by the way, good book. Between reading the book, anything and everything I
                        can find on importing web content into my apps, the NL130issue and , oh
                        yah,, my financial system, I'm keeping out of trouble for the most part.
                        Thanks again for the help:
                        Rick of Farmington Mich. USA
                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 10 12:39 PM
                          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Alyce" <alycewatson@c...> wrote:

                          > Since the only time this has been reported is by people using
                          > WindowEyes, I have not encountered this before. It is almost
                          > certainly a bug in my help authoring tool when it is preparing the
                          > document for compilation into CHM format by MS Help Workshop.
                          >
                          > I will be happy to create the set of plain HTML files and send them
                          > to anybody who uses WindowEyes and cannot access all of the pages
                          in
                          > the CHM version. Just send me an email with your request.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Alyce

                          Alyce - FYI I get the same script error with WIN 98SE/IE6/Mastering
                          LB3.chm and it is always line 3/Char 951, Expected ';'
                          Only occurs on a few index items, Constants, CreateBitmap and ULONG
                          for example. Accepting Continue to run Scripts, the page then
                          displays OK, so I have never bothered to report.

                          HTH, Mike.
                        • Ron Spruell
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 10 3:38 PM
                            Well I have read thru my E-Book and had not noticed any problems. It's just
                            a great way for anyone to learn Liberty Basic. After reading a couple of
                            messages about a problem I again opened my e-book and read thru and with
                            Windows Millennium I did not have any problems at all. I'm glad to because I
                            have to have all the help I can get. I guess it's in my genes I can read
                            something and just not understand it. I have my wife read it in those times
                            when it doesn't seem to come to me and she helps but since she works in the
                            financial world and not Electronics or programming she doesn't understand
                            but she can point out what I missed when reading some instructions about
                            syntax and believe me it helps. Alyce's book and all the programmers on this
                            forum and of course with out the author of Liberty Basic "Carl" there would
                            be no one else Liberty Basic is a programming language that every one can
                            use and those that have a working knowledge of Windows can do anything one
                            can imagine, it's just so much program for anyone especially the home user
                            like me.

                            Thanks Carl and Alyce and Bill and well everyone that helps, gives answers,
                            works around problems to make Liberty Basic one premium programming language

                            Ron Spruell

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 11 10:33 AM
                              Hi gang;
                              Well, there are several of us blindies using LB it seems. I had problems
                              with VB/6 and continue to have problems occasionally with LB and Windoweyes.
                              Sometimes I find that the system seems to lock up but is actually in a loop.
                              I reboot to end the problem. It was worse under VB/6 and if I close any
                              explorer directory displays and even the source code which I'm editing in
                              notepad that seems to help allot. Evidently Windoweyes is using resources
                              dynamically that VB/6 and even LB want to use so there is something getting
                              tipped someplace. Perhaps this is happening for the code in Alyce's book
                              when she links to whatever as well. At least things work most of the time.
                              do any of you have any similar problems if you use JAWS, for you sighted
                              folks that is the other major player in the screen reader business. Well,
                              gotta run.
                              Rick of Farmington Mich. USA