Re: [libertybasic] Re: linking to a website and beyond

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005
      Minkis;
      So far so good! I copied the code, changed the url and added http to it and
      then saved the file as txt. The CSV was the only thing in the file - that's
      perfect for building a file of stock prices.. Storm had the right idea,
      that is to open a window using the url and reading the data. I couldn't get
      it to work but Alyce sure did. I'll look at the code today and see if I
      can get rid of the dialog box, add the ticker symbol to the data collected,
      open the txt file for append and wham! No more entering 250 stock prices,
      one at a time every week. Note to audience, this old fat blind guy is a
      pauper, not a prince, but finds the game fascinating to play anyway. Man,
      after several days of grinding frustration reading about all the acronyms
      that MS put out just to do something, it's a real pleasure to find a common
      sense approach to doing things. The KISS philosophy has always been my
      motto as it leads to faster execution, more maintainable code and more
      robust applications when finished - not to mention fewer gray hairs all over
      my old bod.
      Well, off to study the code to see what made it work and venture into that
      technical realm. By the way, my financial is for personal use for now at
      least but the suggestions about running on other machines and other systems
      might come into play some day so thanks to William, if I remember, for the
      comment about not usingexplicit paths for any internal references unless
      local to my app folders.
      See ya on the other side:
      Rick of Farmington Mich. USA
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hi gang:
        First, I sent a thanks e-mail last night but I don't see it in my in-box so
        it might have gotten lost. Thanks to all for the help! Storm, you were
        right, open the url as a window and Minkis, use an API to connect and
        download. Now I have downloaded 250 stock prices in about a minute or two
        instead of a couple of hours. Since it looks like API calls are the real
        power behind any content access or communications, including display
        formatting, I guess it's off to Alyce's restaurant for a helping of API Pie
        with my pots of stay awake coffee. William, thanks for the info on the
        shell exec to avoid the hard wire trap of running on my local machine.
        Haven't tried it out yet as the system is for my own use but who knows?
        Well, thanks again and I'm sure an old fat blind guy can find many more
        things to make his hair get gray even faster than this last programming
        adventure.
        See ya all on the other side:
        Rick of Farmington Mich. USA