SUGGESTION for LB 5 and deleteing files.

  • Gordon Sweet
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
      Ref To:-
      Message: 3
      Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:15:12 +0100
      From: "Ingemar Bjerle" <ingemar.bjerle@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: SUGGESTION for LB 5

      Ingemar,

      Nice to see you active in the egroup again. I too have found occasions when Windows refuses to allow you delete what is a useless file. The secret is to use DOS, which may also entail changing the File Attributes, although you may still not be allowed to delete it using the MSDOS/Command Prompt, and need to Boot up under DOS.

      With Windows XP you just tap the F8 key a few times while waiting for Windows to start after the opening CMOS check of the RAM. Next select the ' Safe Mode with Command Prompt' option, and wait a mo. If you are not experienced in using DOS commands I have a nice 32K Freeware DOS Filemanager anyone is welcome to have called PCA, if they care to Email me. This does everything the same as the Windows Filedialog etc. You will need to enter say CD\temp if you have unzipped into C:\temp.

      Gordon S.

    • Ron Spruell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
        I like DOS, grew up using DOS and DOS commands and I had a hard time
        learning to use windows. Old dogs are hard pressed to change. The Disk
        Operating System was the only thing we or I had to use when I started and
        what I used as long as I could. Then Bill Gates got another idea again like
        he got the DOS idea "which by the way he just almost stole" again from other
        programmers. Other programmers had made Windows that loaded all of your exe
        and com files from all of your Dir. so that you could run all your programs
        from their windows and you wouldn't have to change to the dir the file was
        in, then type in the name of the program in that you wanted to run, then
        you had to press enter to run the program and the program ran and for my
        part when he started making windows he ruined a perfectly good operating
        system. Then you had all of a program in one directory and in that directory
        you had either a program with an extension of EXE or a COM that you ran. If
        you didn't like the program all you did was delete that directory and all of
        the file or rather program was gone and I mean all of it. That was when RAM
        or memory was real expensive and hard drives were very expensive and all
        programmers were using either Binary or Assembly language. In binary you had
        to program each and every bit, very time consuming but very fast and very
        conservative on memory use and disk space since the programmer controlled
        all functions of the program him self. Then came Assembly Language a little
        higher form of Binary where the programmer was not in control of all the
        function or memory and other things but Assembly Isolated him from some of
        the small things as where the program was stored and what memory to allocate
        and then release and was a little faster but the main thing was it still
        generated very small programs and used little memory. Programs written in
        Assembly were very small and did a lot. Now we have inexpensive memory and
        lots of it and we also have C and C++ and they are big big programs so they
        take up a lot of disk space (glad disk space is cheap now also) and they use
        a lot of memory but it's a lot easier to learn and use. Doesn't bother any
        programmers today that just to place " Hello world " on your screen takes a
        big program some 500K bytes program or more. It's been a long time since I
        have looked and the number maybe wrong but believe me it takes a lot of
        program in C++ to place those words on your screen. Also DOS came with a
        little compiler you could write COM programs your self and a lot of Magazine
        had little programs you could type in and run. I really miss those useful
        little programs. I could go on and on but I believe I have gone way to far
        all ready. <BG> Does anyone remember Dvorak's Guide to DOS & PC Performance?
        I still have that book and others. I still have DR DOS remember that? The
        thing is DOS is still there and you can do a lot to help you recover from
        Windows whether it be Me or XP. If you get a virus and your virus engine
        finds a virus in a critical windows file it will not delete it so you have
        to get the name of the file then boot to dos delete the file get the file
        from your installation disk and then install it in the same place. That easy

        Ron Spruell

        Nice to see you active in the egroup again. I too have found occasions when
        Windows refuses to allow you delete what is a useless file. The secret is to
        use DOS, which may also entail changing the File Attributes, although you
        may still not be allowed to delete it using the MSDOS/Command Prompt, and
        need to Boot up under DOS.

        With Windows XP you just tap the F8 key a few times while waiting for
        Windows to start after the opening CMOS check of the RAM. Next select the '
        Safe Mode with Command Prompt' option, and wait a mo. If you are not
        experienced in using DOS commands I have a nice 32K Freeware DOS Filemanager
        anyone is welcome to have called PCA, if they care to Email me. This does
        everything the same as the Windows Filedialog etc. You will need to enter
        say CD\temp if you have unzipped into C:\temp.

        Gordon S.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to: