simpler LB Game Maker

  • Chergarj@cs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2004
      for Alyce Watson:

      This could be a good idea. Simplify LB gamemaker so it is easier to learn
      but also less powerful. Maintain its identity as LB gamemaker (? called LB game
      workshop?). Less Power is good if it means easier to learn and use. Can
      something simple enough be created so that it can be free?

      G C

    • Alyce
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Chergarj@c... wrote:
        > for Alyce Watson:
        >
        > This could be a good idea. Simplify LB gamemaker so it is easier
        to learn
        > but also less powerful. Maintain its identity as LB gamemaker (?
        called LB game
        > workshop?). Less Power is good if it means easier to learn and
        use. Can
        > something simple enough be created so that it can be free?

        Sorry, but this question baffles me. Game Workshop doesn't have a
        learning curve. There is a helpfile to clarify things a bit. It's
        just a point-and-click program. Select bitmaps from disk by clicking
        the button to add a bmp. Then click the add a sprite. A sprite
        properties window comes up and you click, drag and drop bitmaps from
        the bitmap list to the other listbox to add frames to the sprite
        being edited. You can set properties in this box, too, like cycling,
        orientation, etc. On the main program screen, you can choose bmps for
        a background, you can say if you want the background to scroll, and
        if you do, how much it should scroll. There's even a mask maker that
        allows you to mask individual bmps, or all bmps in a folder. You can
        save the script and/or create code for the game. Can you tell me
        which part you do not understand? I can't imagine that anything
        simpler than this would be useful.

        If you want to create your own sprite wizard, you can do it easily in
        LB. That's the beauty of being a programmer! I don't plan to release
        a free version of Game Workshop. I believe you are also planning to
        sell your software, Gary, since you've posted several messages about
        this, so I'm sure that you understand. The great bulk of stuff on my
        site is free already.

        Regards,
        Alyce
      • Chergarj@cs.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
          In a message dated 10/31/2004 6:41:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          alycewatson@... writes:
          > If you want to create your own sprite wizard, you can do it easily in
          > LB. That's the beauty of being a programmer! I don't plan to release
          > a free version of Game Workshop. I believe you are also planning to
          > sell your software, Gary, since you've posted several messages about
          > this, so I'm sure that you understand. The great bulk of stuff on my
          > site is free already.

          I was hoping to sell some software, but no games. I can not make games. I
          could not create a game either with or without a game-making program.

          No game creation tool I have ever tried were comprehensible. Up to now and
          probably in the future, I will only relearn how to do simple things with only
          about 3 or 4 total sprites in a program. I tried to check your LB game
          workshop several months ago, and I could not figure out how to use anything. I may
          never be ready for creating games. I created a graphing program using ONE
          sprite with Liberty BASIC and no use of anything other than FreeForm and LB3; it
          was for potential industrial application, certainly not for game purposes.

          G C