Re: [libertybasic] Re: Contirbution Keeper Beta

  • Chergarj@cs.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2004
      In a message dated 09/04/2004 4:41:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      fearworks@... writes:
      > Consider a way that detects when the clock has been changed
      > back...otherwise some (and I'm sure it would only be a few) people
      > might decide not to register with you!!

      I should keep quiet about certain method. .... it's already been discussed
      somewhere.

      G C

    • Gordon Sweet
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5, 2004
        REF TO :-
        Message: 5
        Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 19:55:10 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
        From: "Ron Spruell" <spruell9@...>
        Subject: Re: Contirbution Keeper Beta

        Ron,

        I am a bit baffled at your remark regarding posting working programs without providing the code. Shareware distributors like www.zdnet.com have access to thousands of software packages anyone can download, but very few contain the code. However many people will not take the risk of running any programs unless they can see the code, in case it contains any hidden nasties, or upsets the system setup.

        Personally I have no interest in whatever anyone does with my LB code on my site. If anyone can improve on it and succeed in marketing their version, Good Luck to them. At my age I am no longer interested in trying to ' make a buck or two ' out of selling programs, with the vast amount of competition around today.

        Gordon Sweet

      • egill
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2004
          > Eldron:
          > Is there some componant of the code which you WOULD like to post here that
          > may be instructive for us? Maybe in a somewhat generalized form or
          > altered form
          > such that we will not figure out what aspect of your program is exposed?

          GC,
          When time permits, I'll throw together a newsletter article. No promises
          when that will be cause i'm currently working 3 jobs.

          Eldron
        • Ron Spruell
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 5, 2004
            Hey I was told any program promoted or uploaded here was suppose to have the
            source code with it. Hey this is great now it doesn't matter.

            Ron Spruell

            I am a bit baffled at your remark regarding posting working programs without
            providing the code. Shareware distributors like www.zdnet.com have access to
            thousands of software packages anyone can download, but very few contain the
            code. However many people will not take the risk of running any programs
            unless they can see the code, in case it contains any hidden nasties, or
            upsets the system setup.

            Personally I have no interest in whatever anyone does with my LB code on my
            site. If anyone can improve on it and succeed in marketing their version,
            Good Luck to them. At my age I am no longer interested in trying to ' make a
            buck or two ' out of selling programs, with the vast amount of competition
            around today.

            Gordon Sweet

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • Chergarj@cs.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 5, 2004
              In a message dated 09/05/2004 4:59:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              spruell9@... writes:
              > Hey I was told any program promoted or uploaded here was suppose to have
              > the
              > source code with it. Hey this is great now it doesn't matter.

              This is now a time for our moderators to give us some guidance.

              What I would like for members to do is to announce their program here if the
              member likes, and offer to send as download to any member who is interested in
              trying the program. Additionally, the member who makes such a program could
              place it onto a website for other members to download if such corresponding
              members are interested in trying the program.

              If you have a program to discuss on the group, post some code.
              If you have a program that is substantially developed and you want people to
              try it, then either post the code here, or offer to let people download a code
              or non-code form of the program off of the yahoo group, and such discussions
              for non-code forms of programs should typically occur off the yahoogroup.

              G C

            • Chergarj@cs.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5, 2004
                spruell9@... writes:
                > Hey I was told any program promoted or uploaded here was suppose to have
                > the
                > source code with it. Hey this is great now it doesn't matter.

                Regarding this same actual general topic, I announced some programs ready for
                beta testing but only 1 person gave any comment about it. I was not willing
                to show the code. The programs would be available as an installer package,
                ready to install and run without the LB environment. Apparantly, people on
                this group want to see code for programs especially if on-group discussion is
                expected.

                G C

              • Ken Lewis, Sr.
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5, 2004
                  If my memory serves me correctly, announcing a program that does not include
                  source has never been a problem here. As long as you are not uploading it
                  to the yahoo files area.

                  Ken

                  > Hey I was told any program promoted or uploaded here was suppose to have
                  the
                  > source code with it. Hey this is great now it doesn't matter.
                  >
                  > Ron Spruell

                • egill
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2004
                    > If my memory serves me correctly, announcing a program that does not
                    > include
                    > source has never been a problem here. As long as you are not uploading it
                    > to the yahoo files area.
                    >
                    > Ken

                    There is no problem with programs that don't include source. However, you
                    may find that there won't be many responders if you are relatively new to
                    the group. I am a bit hesitant to run an exe without knowing the author
                    well or having the source code also distributed. I would run anything that
                    Alyce sent me because i know her to be a person of extreme integrity and
                    honesty. Others on the list i don't know and therefore could not trust.
                    I've been with the group for years, i think since 1998,...many people know
                    me and know my exe's can be trusted.

                    In my original email, i used the words "if anyone would like to". There's
                    no force or compulsion here. If you wanna download and evaluate, go ahead.
                    I occasionally visit others sites to see what they are doing with LB. I
                    download their programs, which do not include the source, just to see what
                    they have accomplished with LB. If i see they have been able to do
                    something i would like to do, i wirte them to ask how they did it.

                    good day everyone,
                    Eldron
                  • Gordon Sweet
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 6, 2004
                      REF TO :-
                      Message: 7
                      Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:58:58 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
                      From: "Ron Spruell" <spruell9@...>

                      Ron,

                      On my little site I host a few programs for others. For instance when Ingemar first sent me a number of his clever maths. programs, he did not want the code included. However when someone showed a particular interest in the subject he relented, and his code is now included.

                      Another friend of mine ( about my age ) took almost a year to upgrade a Speedway Game from his old Amiga code, with a little help from me. But in view of all the time and work involved, he refuses to allow me to upload the code, possible because he hopes to market it sometime. The smaller version on my site does not include all the WAV file noises.

                      Gordon Sweet

                    • Ron Spruell
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 6, 2004
                        Mr Sweet;
                        I don't have a problem with anyone putting their programs
                        on this Yahoo groups files for download site. This burden is
                        not mine but the moderators "thank goodness" I was merely
                        wondering out loud "if you will" about what I thought the rules
                        are for posting or promoting a program here. I do believe the
                        moderator here has again posted who, what and under which
                        circumstances a program can be placed here so any comment
                        by me is mute, other than to say I really don't care what the
                        rules are. I do thou want to be very clear about the rules so I
                        would know them and abide by them so that I would understand
                        them so that I would be very sure I would abide by them to the tee.
                        I look at rules like this:
                        Rules are made for the good of all and if you abide by them and
                        everyone else does also everyone will benefit from them.
                        Rules can't made to be one way for this person and another way
                        for a different person they have to be fair for all. Now again being
                        informed of what the rules are I will of course like everyone else abide
                        by the rules set by this forums moderator as I am sure all the
                        other forum members will do. I do have concerns about running
                        programs from folks, I don't know, if the code is not included just
                        like you do. Except of course other than a few folks like you and
                        Alyce or Carl I don't known a lot of folks real well in this forum.
                        Since I read more messages than I write I haven't got to know a
                        lot of folks here and I haven't been part of this forum as long as
                        you have so I know far less folks. I do know how powerful the
                        compiler of Liberty Basic is and I am well aware that you can
                        do any thing in Liberty Basic you can
                        think of just like you can in C++ or any of the other compiled
                        languages and then some. THIS IS No exaggeration at all, as I
                        know you will also agree. Running a compiled program generated
                        by Liberty Basic with out seeing the source code would be very
                        dangerous in my opinion because of what I know the compiler is able
                        and capable of doing. Other than everyone's concerns, including
                        yours, about something other than the program intended use being
                        in the Exe I don't care what or whom up loads programs here
                        other than really wanting to be sure I abide by the rules because I
                        have and continue to learn a lot. I would really like to see
                        the code, any code of any program just because I am learning.
                        I know that no one in this forum would ever use or even think of using
                        someone else's code with out their consent. I that I would never
                        dream of using his code in anything. Especially since he has
                        made the concerns he has. But it still doesn't keep me from
                        wishing I could see the code.<BG>
                        Now let me just jump topic just a little and try and thanks
                        everyone for all the help I have received from this forum.
                        As for all the help from you guys I will be forever grateful and
                        will never be able to pay you guys back. I have code in my
                        programs from you, Mr Sweet, and others here that you wouldn't
                        believe how many pieces of your code and everyone else that I have
                        used with all the information I have learned just from reading
                        each and every message and keeping a couple of 250 meg
                        zip disk full of messages from this forum with an index so
                        I can go and and recall any thing I need. Believe me when
                        I tell you I would feel guilty if I tried to sale any of my
                        programs just because they have so much code in them
                        from you and from Alyce Watson, Carl everyone in this forum that has
                        posted code. I bet I have some of everyone's code in my programs I use.
                        I guess at 58 years of age I am again guilty of wanting to
                        learn.<BG>