cAPITALIZATION pRoBlEm

  • Chergarj@cs.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2004
      The link went to a file that was spelled with different capitalization. If
      anyone is interested in the file from the main site, use this address:

      http://ourworld.cs.com/chergarj/ShowHowLong06192004.zip

      The letter case IS important. The link for the download will not (yet)
      otherwise work because of the misspelling.

      G C

    • pendl2megabit
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2004
        GC,
        if you include a check for the extension of the provided file name on save,
        the file will allways heve the propper extension.
        This ensures that people who are used to enter the file name without
        extension, won't get unexpected results.
        This behaviour is common to commercial applications ;-)

        '---start of code
        FILEDIALOG "Save the Show",DefaultDir$+"\"+"*.shl",showfile$
        REM without the "*", the type-dropdown field shows allFiles for type
        IF showfile$="" THEN WAIT
        '>>>
        ' check for correct extension
        if lower$(right$(showfile$,4)) <> ".shl" then showfile$ = showfile$ +
        ".shl"
        '<<<
        'print showfile$
        '---end of code

      • Chergarj@cs.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2004
          In a message dated 07/30/2004 1:01:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          pendl2megabit@... writes:
          > include a check for the extension of the provided file name on save

          I do not know what that means; but I know that the filename must be the same
          as the link that goes to the file for downlaod.

          G C

        • pendl2megabit
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2004
            GC,
            I didn't mean the web page, I meant in the show program.
            Did you see the code snippet at the end of my post ???

            If not here it is again:

          • Chergarj@cs.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30, 2004
              In a message dated 07/30/2004 4:21:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              pendl2megabit@... writes:
              > I didn't mean the web page, I meant in the show program.
              > Did you see the code snippet at the end of my post ???
              >
              > If not here it is again:
              >
              > '---start of code
              > FILEDIALOG "Save the Show",DefaultDir$+"\*.shl",showfile$
              > REM without the "*", the type-dropdown field shows allFiles for type
              > IF showfile$="" THEN WAIT
              > '>>>
              > ' check for correct extension
              > if lower$(right$(showfile$,4)) <>".shl" then showfile$ = showfile$ +
              > ".shl"
              > '<<<
              > 'print showfile$
              > '---end of code
              >
              > ---
              > Stefan Pendl

              Have you become a "beta" tester for "ShowHowLong..."? I thought I fixed the
              program to automatically save show files with extension ".shl". When user
              chooses to open a file, only shl extension files will be shown in the filedialog
              (or this must be rechecked to see if this really occurs).

              G C

            • Chergarj@cs.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30, 2004
                pendl2megabit@... writes:
                > '>>>
                > ' check for correct extension
                > if lower$(right$(showfile$,4)) <>".shl" then showfile$ = showfile$ +
                > ".shl"

                Now I understand. This is a very good error correction method in case takes
                the highlighted textbox, puts in a file name, and then clicks the save button,
                all which would be too easy for the user to do; and he would loose the
                extension. If the extension is lost, then the file would never appear in the
                filedialog for opening a show.

                Liberty BASIC saving of BAS files seems to function much like I coded in
                ShowHowLong06192004. A user would simply be accustomed (after a couple of
                mistakes) to adjusting the highlight in the textbox before entering the filename, but
                your correction method is probably a safer method. Thanks.

                G c