Issue #119, The Liberty BASIC Newsletter

  • Alyce Watson
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1 5:16 AM
      The April issue is out. The contents are listed below. Please do not
      discuss the newsletter here in the yahoo group. Please place comments,
      questions, etc. on the newsletter feedback board here:
      http://libertybasic.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=feedback

      Get your copy of the newsletter at one of these two locations:
      http://babek.info/libertybasicfiles/lbnews/

      In this issue:

      API Translator - by Colin McMurchie
      Window Help - by Jim Brossman
      Real Time Communication Under Windows - by Peter Hawken
      Slider Control - by Brad Moore
      Desktop Shortcuts - by Gordon Rahman
      Quick Visual Designer - a New GUI Designer for LB
      A Dozen Rules for Writing Code - by Alyce Watson
      Tip Corner - Reading DATA into Arrays - by Alyce Watson
      API Corner - Easy Polygon - by Alyce Watson
      -- Triangle Drawing Demo using Polygon Code
      Sprite Byte: User-Controlled Sprite - by Alyce Watson
      Demos:
      -- Shell to DOS - by Gordon Sweet
      -- Morse Code Tutor - by Gordon Sweet
      -- Batch File to Ping a Website - by Scott Bannon
      -- Multicolumn Listbox - by Alyce Watson

    • John Richardson
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1 10:37 PM
        Wow - thank you very much everyone! This is a superb newsletter. There are so many things LB can do!

        John R

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2 11:12 AM
          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Pooh Bear <poohbear2767@b...>
          wrote:
          > I would like to say a big Thank You to all that helped me in this
          project.
          > I really learned a lot with this project.
          > Now that it is finished, I can move on to another project.
          > Gotta think of one first.
          >
          > Thank You to all the members of the Liberty Basic Yahoo Group.
          > And thanks to Alyce for all the help she gives us all.
          > And to Janet for directing me to this group.
          > And to everybody else for helping.
          >
          > Thank You.
          >
          > Pooh Bear

          Hey Pooh Bear,
          How about considering sharing this project for others to learn from?
          Sorry if I have missed any links if you have already shared. If so
          could you please repeat for my benefit?

          Regards,
          Mike.
        • Pooh Bear
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2 1:02 PM
            Hi Mike,
            I am happy to share this project with everyone.
            I am trying to figure out how to use SourceForge so I can upload it there.
            Or does anyone know of a better place.
            Has anyone here used SourceForge and can you help me get my project on there.

            I have uploaded my bas file to the files section of the Liberty Basic Yahoo group.
            I am happy to do this. I will share what was shared with me.

            I currently have the install package on my personal webspace.
            http://web.infoave.net/~poohbear2767/PBsGiftWrapMakerSetup.exe

            The install package includes the bas file and also in txt format.
            But it takes up too much room in my webspace,
            so I have to find a more permanent home for it.

            Thanks.

            Pooh Bear

            How about considering sharing this project for others to learn from?
            Sorry if I have missed any links if you have already shared. If so
            could you please repeat for my benefit?

            Regards,
            Mike.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • mp_ctrl
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2 3:24 PM
              Sourceforge is more for public workgroup type efforts than a file
              upload area (Docs/releases/CVS/etc). Not that complicated to use but
              has a learning curve. Directed at people willing to root around and
              use it (users also) for systems development. Many announce their
              project on a website and link to sourceforge for distro.

              I'm sure someone here can point you to a proper repository.

              If you still want/need help with sourceforge, fell free to contact me
              offline.

              Take care,
              Jim

              wrote:
              > Hi Mike,
              > I am happy to share this project with everyone.
              > I am trying to figure out how to use SourceForge so I can upload it
              there.
              > Or does anyone know of a better place.
              > Has anyone here used SourceForge and can you help me get my project
              on there.

              > I have uploaded my bas file to the files section of the Liberty
              Basic Yahoo group.
              > I am happy to do this. I will share what was shared with me.
              >
              > I currently have the install package on my personal webspace.
              > http://web.infoave.net/~poohbear2767/PBsGiftWrapMakerSetup.exe
              >
              > The install package includes the bas file and also in txt format.
              > But it takes up too much room in my webspace,
              > so I have to find a more permanent home for it.
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Pooh Bear

              Service.

            • Scott
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3 9:56 AM
                Pooh Bear,

                SourceForge is great and I have a few non-LB projects there myself.
                Some I began and some I joined in on.

                Since you did ask for alternatives, you could begin a thread at
                http://www.LBDownloads.com/files/ and upload your code and any
                additional support files into the thread.

                I created that forum which allows for file attachments and
                hotlinking recently because the files area of this group is about
                full. I had made it mainly to be another file depot for LB'ers, but
                since it does have a forum layout I think it could be utilized
                nicely for projects and such too since users can comment and
                uploaded files can be updated and such.

                HTH,
                Scott

                wrote:
                > Hi Mike,
                > I am happy to share this project with everyone.
                > I am trying to figure out how to use SourceForge so I can upload
                it there.
                > Or does anyone know of a better place.
                > Has anyone here used SourceForge and can you help me get my
                project on there.

                > I have uploaded my bas file to the files section of the Liberty
                Basic Yahoo group.
                > I am happy to do this. I will share what was shared with me.
                >
                > I currently have the install package on my personal webspace.
                > http://web.infoave.net/~poohbear2767/PBsGiftWrapMakerSetup.exe
                >
                > The install package includes the bas file and also in txt format.
                > But it takes up too much room in my webspace,
                > so I have to find a more permanent home for it.
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Pooh Bear

              • Pooh Bear
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 3 12:17 PM
                  I am giving up on the SourceForge idea. Too complicated.

                  I made my own folder and put the bas file in there.

                  I am thinking more along the lines of distributing the program to people who want it.
                  I have it temporarily on my personal web space.
                  http://web.infoave.net/~poohbear2767/PBsGiftWrapMaker.htm
                  but it takes up a lot of room there and I would rather move it.

                  I have already gotten several donations from this program.
                  I am really excited about making my next program (soon as I think of it).

                  wrote:
                  > Hi Mike,
                  > I am happy to share this project with everyone.
                  > I am trying to figure out how to use SourceForge so I can upload
                  it there.
                  > Or does anyone know of a better place.
                  > Has anyone here used SourceForge and can you help me get my
                  project on there.

                  > I have uploaded my bas file to the files section of the Liberty
                  Basic Yahoo group.
                  > I am happy to do this. I will share what was shared with me.
                  >
                  > I currently have the install package on my personal webspace.
                  > http://web.infoave.net/~poohbear2767/PBsGiftWrapMakerSetup.exe
                  >
                  > The install package includes the bas file and also in txt format.
                  > But it takes up too much room in my webspace,
                  > so I have to find a more permanent home for it.
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > Pooh Bear

                • mp_ctrl
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3 1:42 PM
                    wrote:
                    > I am really excited about making my next program (soon as I think
                    of it).

                    <Grins>

                    Boy do I have a list for ya ;)

                    Congrat's!!