AW: LB RAM usage

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31 11:20 PM
      Jim,
      this was a reply by Carl on this group.
      You will find it by searching the archive.
      It will take some time, it is some time back.
      This limit applys to LB3 and 4.

      > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

    • carlgundel
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "mp_ctrl" <mp_ctrl@y...> wrote:
        > I'll guess the answer is hiding somewhere in a post(s) but I cannot
        > find it. Karma, phase of the moon?
        >
        > Somewhere I read that LB can use 'up to' 70 MB of RAM. The problem
        > is I don't remember where I saw it, if it applies to LB4 or
        not/etc.
        > I could be imagining things also.

        It is 70 megabytes. The garbage collector is most efficient at this
        size. It could be larger, but I'd need to make a whole new build.

        It is possible that LB5 will not have the 70MB limit, but I'm not
        sure what the new limit is, yet.

        > Pointers or a rundown? Curious
        > why 70 of all numbers and how does it use it? Looked in the
        > newsletter index and found nothing as well as a search on the net.

        Adding this information someplace in the helpfile does make sense.

        > Trying to keep RAM to a minimum but if LB has a static limit then I
        > know what my worst case (70) size is and can RAM disk the rest
        > (none .. or a minimum swap file). Smallest DDR SRAM is 128 so
        plenty
        > of room even at that size.

        SDRAM isn't the issue. The software running on your computer doesn't
        know or care if you're using SRAM, SDRAM, DDR, EDO, Flash memory or
        anything else. ;-)

        > I would think each instance of LB will use only what it needs ..
        but
        > it may allocate X minimal amount regardless of how little it uses
        > (buffer/reserved space?).

        LB uses only what it needs, but maxes out at 70MB.

        -Carl
      • mp_ctrl
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "carlgundel" <carlg@l...> wrote:
          > SDRAM isn't the issue. The software running on your computer
          doesn't know or care if you're using SRAM, SDRAM, DDR, EDO, Flash
          memory or anything else. ;-)

          Ahhhh. yep :)

          > > I would think each instance of LB will use only what it needs ..
          but it may allocate X minimal amount regardless of how little it uses
          (buffer/reserved space?).

          > LB uses only what it needs, but maxes out at 70MB.

          70 mb max per instance. Kuhl. Can't think of an app I'd write that
          needed that much RAM. So I sum RAM per LB instance, subtract that
          and other allocated RAM from RAM available and the rest is RAMdisk.
          What I needed to know.

          Thanks!,
          Jim