Re: no audio? check your extra vol controls

  • midi_boink
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2003
      --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Sweet" <gordon@g...>
      wrote:
      > REF TO:-
      > Message: 5
      > Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:43:55 -0000
      > From: "midi_boink" <NoteJam@a...>
      > Subject: Re: no audio? check your extra vol controls
      >
      > <Something that might help, is send the following three midi
      control
      > <message bytes to the card. 176, 10, 64 This is sending a
      control
      > <10 (pan) message on channel 1 and setting it to mid range of 64.
      > <That should give about equal volume out both speakers for midi
      > <programs that only make use of channel 1.
      >
      > Midi_boink
      >
      > Thanks for your suggestions, but my knowledge is almost strictly
      limited to Basic. Could I pester you to show the exact code to

      implement the above. Thanks Gordon

      [setPan1]'set pan for channel 1

      event=176 'event 176 = set pan on channel 1
      low=(10*256)+event '10 = second byte of pan command
      pan=64 'pan amount
      hi=pan*256*256
      dwMsg=low+hi
      CallDLL #winmm, "midiOutShortMsg",hMidiOut As ulong,_
      dwMsg As ulong, ret As ulong
      RETURN

      [setPan2]'set pan for channel 2

      event=177 'event 177 = set pan on channel 2
      low=(10*256)+event 'second byte of pan command
      pan=64 'pan amount
      hi=pan*256*256
      dwMsg=low+hi
      CallDLL #winmm, "midiOutShortMsg",hMidiOut As ulong,_
      dwMsg As ulong, ret As ulong
      RETURN

      You will need to make a gosub [setPan1] and gosub [setpan2] at some
      point after the initilizing of the dll.

      However, I wonder if maybe your one of the persons that has two
      mixers, and you just need to set pan settings in your sound cards
      mixer? Soundblaster live and maybe a few other cards do have a
      second mixer, and your going to have to go find where it shows up
      at. You will have an entire second set of volume controls, pan
      controls etc. I think maybe the second mixer also controls the
      windows mixer, so you won't have to set two mixers.
    • Gordon Sweet
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2003
        Message: 2
        Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:31:50 -0000
        From: "midi_boink" <NoteJam@...>
        Subject: Re: no audio? check your extra vol controls

        Thanks for your advice.

        I will test it where the sound fails in one of the channels.

        I wonder if anyone will produce LB code to play the new WMA (is it) sound files that Windows Media Player 9 are able to play I understand. These are supposed to half the size of MP3s.

        Gordon

      • Gordon Sweet
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2003
          REF TO:
          Message: 2
          Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:31:50 -0000
          From: "midi_boink" <NoteJam@...>

          I checks your suggestions, and as usual I am being a ' twit ' again. It is not the midi players that fail to produce sound on the right hand channel, when the Spatial Control is off, but all the instrument sounds when using WINMM.DLL. I am afraid neither of the Sub routines you suggested appear to have any effect, perhaps because I did not explain the problem correctly in the first place !! Gordon

        • midi_boink
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 9, 2003
            wrote:
            > REF TO:
            > Message: 2
            > Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:31:50 -0000
            > From: "midi_boink" <NoteJam@a...>
            > Subject: Re: no audio? check your extra vol controls
            >
            > I checks your suggestions, and as usual I am being a ' twit '
            again. It is not the midi players that fail to produce sound on the
            right hand channel, when the Spatial Control is off, but all the
            instrument sounds when using WINMM.DLL. I am afraid neither of the
            Sub routines you suggested appear to have any effect, perhaps because
            I did not explain the problem correctly in the first place !!
            Gordon

            Ok Gordon, sorry it did not work for you. Sound cards in general do
            not cost very much, but maybe you have one of the more expensive ones.

            Anyway, one option is just get another card and keep your fingers
            crossed that your not just buying a new problem.

            Usually neat audio, soft synths, midi programs etc., come with the
            cards, so it can often be worth while to get some extra cards.

            I have been thinking that possibly who ever installed your audio card
            may not of installed all the drivers, and thus no midi synth.

            The cards usually require installing about 3 or 4 drivers for all the
            cards functions to be working.
          • Gordon Sweet
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11, 2003
              Ref To:-
              Message: 4
              Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:20:34 -0000
              From: "midi_boink" <NoteJam@...>

              Thanks for your help trying to work out to fathom out why the sound stops in one channel when using winmm.dll. It is not a great problem, and I hope to upgrade everything soon, and use Windows XP instead of Windows 98. Gordon

            • William Roggow
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 12, 2003
                I hope to upgrade everything soon, and use Windows XP instead of Windows 98.
                Gordon

                I wish you "lots of luck." I have just spent 7 hours on the phone with
                Microsoft Support on just that issue. I upgraded from Windows 98 SE to XP
                and had a lot of trouble. One thing - print out the report XP generates and
                remove all the programs it advises. Also remove every connection to your
                computer except the keyboard, mouse, and video. Have copies of all your
                programs. I would suggest a complete backup/image to restore anything that
                is important. Good luck if you have any type of network.

                > Thanks for your help trying to work out to fathom out why the sound stops
                in one channel when using winmm.dll. It is not a great problem, and I hope
                to upgrade everything soon, and use Windows XP instead of Windows 98.
                Gordon

              • Justin
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 12, 2003
                  Often people try to install XP over the top of win9x
                  and this is a bad choice. Actually if you change your
                  OS you REALLY, REALLY, need to format your
                  hard drive with the format utility provided with the OS
                  that is going to be installed (which clears EVERYTHING
                  off your HDD).
                  Installing your current OS over the top of itself is also
                  a BAD idea. You waste all of the time getting everything
                  set back up but really have caused more problems than if
                  you would have formatted and reloaded.
                  XP is a great OS, and excellent for networks. I have never
                  seen an easier OS to get running drivers, networks, and all.
                  However, you have to do things in a certain order, and in
                  a very specific way. You cannot do it your way, you really
                  must wipe the drive and start fresh, I don't care if M$ says
                  you don't have to. They say these things to sell software.
                  I use ME, which most people hate, but if you install it the right
                  way, it is VERY stable and pretty fast. Since I came from 3.0,
                  3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, it is perfect for me - I know where stuff is.
                  (AND I turn off active desktop! It is bad! Don't use it please! :o)

                  You may need to flash your bios, since you may be
                  having problems at the mobo causing what appears
                  to be OS issues. RAM can do this very thing, as well.
                  Format your whole drive to the NT FAT structure.
                  Install XP, Get the XP updates, patch your chipset,
                  defrag your drive between every software install.
                  Plug in peripherals one at a time and verify each one
                  works prior to doing the next one.
                  Beyond this, XP usually falls right into line upon
                  connection to the network, but some networks
                  use odd hardware and specialized settings that have
                  to be done manually. It seems that XP likes systems
                  it knows and can set up itself better than ones you set up
                  for it.

                  (You don't have to "upgrade" an OS if you buy an upgrade
                  copy, it will merely ask you for a disk to verify you have
                  a product in your possession which will then allow the fresh
                  install to continue.)

                  I have done this a few times :o) and trust me, it works
                  ~99.4% of the time.

                  Sorry you are having trouble, I know so well how maddening
                  it can be to have the garbage going on and have to be on the
                  phone with support and the whole process nets ZERO at
                  the end of hours of re-re-re calling and giving your case
                  number to the next available technical support agent.

                  HTH,

                  Justin.