Re: [libertybasic] Internet Explorer Rendering Bug and NL106

  • Doyle Whisenant
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2 5:08 AM
      steelweaver52@... wrote:

      >Friends, I think there is a bug in the Microsoft Internet Explorer rendering
      >engine. This apparent bug had an impact on the recently-issued NL106.

      <snip>

      >But I didn't make any errors as far as I can tell. It looks like the IE
      >rendering engine has some kind of a bug in it.

      Apparently it's not just an IE bug. Netscape 7.01 does the same thing.
      The code is in the "view source" window but not in the generated HTML!

      So, any way to be sure that this doesn't happen in the future? Some of
      you HTML folks will have to answer that one!

      --
      Doyle Whisenant
      mechanic@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2 7:02 AM
        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Doyle Whisenant <mechanic@s...>
        wrote:
        > steelweaver52@a... wrote:
        >
        > >Friends, I think there is a bug in the Microsoft Internet Explorer
        rendering
        > >engine. This apparent bug had an impact on the recently-issued
        NL106.

        > <snip>
        >
        > >But I didn't make any errors as far as I can tell. It looks like
        the IE
        > >rendering engine has some kind of a bug in it.
        > >

        > Apparently it's not just an IE bug. Netscape 7.01 does the same
        thing.
        > The code is in the "view source" window but not in the generated
        HTML!

        > So, any way to be sure that this doesn't happen in the future? Some
        of
        > you HTML folks will have to answer that one!
        >
        > Doyle Whisenant

        Alyce has pointed to the fix. For code to render properly in a
        browser view, you have to protect left-angle-brackets by converting
        them to @lt; in the source. There is no need to bother with
        converting right-angle-brackets.

        This conversion is handled automatically in most online editing
        tools, with the CGI or PHP or JavaScript engine behind the editing
        does such parsing specifically to prevent users from entering and
        activating malicious code. WikiWriter from http://hytext.com/ww/, the
        tool Tom used for building the newsletter #106 (and Alyce used for
        newsletter #105) does not do that type of defensive parsing, since
        the tool is designed to accept and act on HTML markup to allow cross-
        application communication and easy importing of existing documents.

        Alyce has suggested creating a special "code" CSS class to notify
        WikiWriter's parsing engine that left-angle-backets need to be
        converted for a specified block of text. It's an excellent idea. I
        hope to have it implemented by Monday.

        My apologies for the inconvenience caused by this (temporary)
        limitation in WikiWriter go to the newsletter readers, and especially
        to the newsletter publishers. Early adopters and scope-expanders are
        both the boon and bane of software developers. I'll wind up with a
        better product and another notch cut in my Humility Stick, and my
        customers and THEIR customers will all benefit.

        ---- Jerry Muelver, author of WikiWriter
      • Foon
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2 8:14 AM
          > So, any way to be sure that this doesn't happen in the future? Some of
          > you HTML folks will have to answer that one!

          Just a thought, not sure if it'll work, but how about practicing less cluttered coding syntax. Like replacing "foo<bar" with "foo < bar". Shouldn't that avoid the html trigger for pre-post type tags?

          - Foon
        • Jerry Muelver <jerry@allmyfaqs.com>
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2 9:15 AM
            --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Muelver <jerry@a...>"
            <jerry@a...> wrote:
            > Alyce has suggested creating a special "code" CSS class to notify
            > WikiWriter's parsing engine that left-angle-backets need to be
            > converted for a specified block of text. It's an excellent idea. I
            > hope to have it implemented by Monday.

            WikiWriter v2.22 posted at http://hytext.com/ww/. This one adds
            inside <pre>...</pre> tags, and WW will parse the left-angle-brackets
            and convert them to ampersand-lt-semicolon entities so the code will
            display properly.

            This is now off-topic for the Liberty BASIC group. Please move any
            comments or questions about WikiWriter to http://hytext.com/forum/

            --- Jerry Muelver, author of WikiWriter
          • Matthew F Funke
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3 5:16 AM
              > > So, any way to be sure that this doesn't happen in the future? Some of
              > > you HTML folks will have to answer that one!
              >
              > Just a thought, not sure if it'll work, but how about practicing less
              > cluttered coding syntax. Like replacing "foo<bar" with "foo < bar".
              > Shouldn't that avoid the html trigger for pre-post type tags?

              I don't *think* so, but I'll have to check. ISTR that HTML
              interpreters remove all white space that don't correspond directly to tags
              before decoding the information anyway.

              -- With Best Regards,
              Matthew Funke (mff@...)
            • Alyce Watson
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3 3:24 PM
                I started a mini-reference in hopes that others would join in and flesh it
                out. As it is, the descriptions are quite spare. I can imagine it
                formatted nicely to html or rtf for printing, for instance. It is placed
                on a message board, so if you have additions or corrections, just post a
                message containing your info. (Just post your additions, not the entire
                document again!)

                We've already got a great addition. Kaalidor has translated the entire
                reference to French! Check it out
                here: http://www.hytext.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 (Carl, this would be
                great on the LB Main Page!)

                Regards,
                Alyce
              • Dean Jolly <Tron@netcom.ca>
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3 5:52 PM
                  --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Alyce Watson <alycewatson@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > I started a mini-reference in hopes that others would join in and
                  flesh it
                  > out.

                  Hi Alyce,

                  I tried to get in but for some strange reason I cant get in.
                  I am willing to help, keep in mind that my main experience is with
                  serial port.

                  Dean
                • Alyce Watson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3 6:51 PM
                    At 01:52 AM 3/4/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                    >I tried to get in but for some strange reason I cant get in.
                    >I am willing to help, keep in mind that my main experience is with
                    >serial port.
                    >
                    >Dean

                    http://www.hytext.com/forum/

                    Perhaps you can get in now. It is on the Tech Talk board in the Alyce's
                    Restaurant area.

                    Alyce