Re: [libertybasic] Internet Explorer Rendering Bug and NL106

  • Alyce Watson
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2003
      At 07:54 AM 3/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >It's almost as if the IE rendering engine wants to treat everything between "<
      >" and ">" as some sort of html tag!

      That is exactly what it is doing. Even in <pre> </pre> tags, you'll want
      to use the escapes for these characters.

      Left angle, less-than tag: <
      Right angle, greater-than tag: >

      One page that has some escape codes:

      http://www.notestips.com/80256B3A007F2692/1/NAMO5FTHEJ

      I hadn't noticed the problem with Bill's code because I copied it from the
      source file, rather than from the web page, so I was surprised to hear that
      it didn't work for others. This explains it!

      Alyce
    • Doyle Whisenant
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2003
        steelweaver52@... wrote:

        >Friends, I think there is a bug in the Microsoft Internet Explorer rendering
        >engine. This apparent bug had an impact on the recently-issued NL106.

        <snip>

        >But I didn't make any errors as far as I can tell. It looks like the IE
        >rendering engine has some kind of a bug in it.

        Apparently it's not just an IE bug. Netscape 7.01 does the same thing.
        The code is in the "view source" window but not in the generated HTML!

        So, any way to be sure that this doesn't happen in the future? Some of
        you HTML folks will have to answer that one!

        --
        Doyle Whisenant
        mechanic@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2003
          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Doyle Whisenant <mechanic@s...>
          wrote:
          > steelweaver52@a... wrote:
          >
          > >Friends, I think there is a bug in the Microsoft Internet Explorer
          rendering
          > >engine. This apparent bug had an impact on the recently-issued
          NL106.

          > <snip>
          >
          > >But I didn't make any errors as far as I can tell. It looks like
          the IE
          > >rendering engine has some kind of a bug in it.
          > >

          > Apparently it's not just an IE bug. Netscape 7.01 does the same
          thing.
          > The code is in the "view source" window but not in the generated
          HTML!

          > So, any way to be sure that this doesn't happen in the future? Some
          of
          > you HTML folks will have to answer that one!
          >
          > Doyle Whisenant

          Alyce has pointed to the fix. For code to render properly in a
          browser view, you have to protect left-angle-brackets by converting
          them to @lt; in the source. There is no need to bother with
          converting right-angle-brackets.

          This conversion is handled automatically in most online editing
          tools, with the CGI or PHP or JavaScript engine behind the editing
          does such parsing specifically to prevent users from entering and
          activating malicious code. WikiWriter from http://hytext.com/ww/, the
          tool Tom used for building the newsletter #106 (and Alyce used for
          newsletter #105) does not do that type of defensive parsing, since
          the tool is designed to accept and act on HTML markup to allow cross-
          application communication and easy importing of existing documents.

          Alyce has suggested creating a special "code" CSS class to notify
          WikiWriter's parsing engine that left-angle-backets need to be
          converted for a specified block of text. It's an excellent idea. I
          hope to have it implemented by Monday.

          My apologies for the inconvenience caused by this (temporary)
          limitation in WikiWriter go to the newsletter readers, and especially
          to the newsletter publishers. Early adopters and scope-expanders are
          both the boon and bane of software developers. I'll wind up with a
          better product and another notch cut in my Humility Stick, and my
          customers and THEIR customers will all benefit.

          ---- Jerry Muelver, author of WikiWriter
        • Foon
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2003
            > So, any way to be sure that this doesn't happen in the future? Some of
            > you HTML folks will have to answer that one!

            Just a thought, not sure if it'll work, but how about practicing less cluttered coding syntax. Like replacing "foo<bar" with "foo < bar". Shouldn't that avoid the html trigger for pre-post type tags?

            - Foon
          • Jerry Muelver <jerry@allmyfaqs.com>
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2003
              --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Muelver <jerry@a...>"
              <jerry@a...> wrote:
              > Alyce has suggested creating a special "code" CSS class to notify
              > WikiWriter's parsing engine that left-angle-backets need to be
              > converted for a specified block of text. It's an excellent idea. I
              > hope to have it implemented by Monday.

              WikiWriter v2.22 posted at http://hytext.com/ww/. This one adds
              inside <pre>...</pre> tags, and WW will parse the left-angle-brackets
              and convert them to ampersand-lt-semicolon entities so the code will
              display properly.

              This is now off-topic for the Liberty BASIC group. Please move any
              comments or questions about WikiWriter to http://hytext.com/forum/

              --- Jerry Muelver, author of WikiWriter
            • Matthew F Funke
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2003
                > > So, any way to be sure that this doesn't happen in the future? Some of
                > > you HTML folks will have to answer that one!
                >
                > Just a thought, not sure if it'll work, but how about practicing less
                > cluttered coding syntax. Like replacing "foo<bar" with "foo < bar".
                > Shouldn't that avoid the html trigger for pre-post type tags?

                I don't *think* so, but I'll have to check. ISTR that HTML
                interpreters remove all white space that don't correspond directly to tags
                before decoding the information anyway.

                -- With Best Regards,
                Matthew Funke (mff@...)
              • Alyce Watson
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 2003
                  I started a mini-reference in hopes that others would join in and flesh it
                  out. As it is, the descriptions are quite spare. I can imagine it
                  formatted nicely to html or rtf for printing, for instance. It is placed
                  on a message board, so if you have additions or corrections, just post a
                  message containing your info. (Just post your additions, not the entire
                  document again!)

                  We've already got a great addition. Kaalidor has translated the entire
                  reference to French! Check it out
                  here: http://www.hytext.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 (Carl, this would be
                  great on the LB Main Page!)

                  Regards,
                  Alyce
                • Dean Jolly <Tron@netcom.ca>
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2003
                    --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Alyce Watson <alycewatson@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > I started a mini-reference in hopes that others would join in and
                    flesh it
                    > out.

                    Hi Alyce,

                    I tried to get in but for some strange reason I cant get in.
                    I am willing to help, keep in mind that my main experience is with
                    serial port.

                    Dean
                  • Alyce Watson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3, 2003
                      At 01:52 AM 3/4/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                      >I tried to get in but for some strange reason I cant get in.
                      >I am willing to help, keep in mind that my main experience is with
                      >serial port.
                      >
                      >Dean

                      http://www.hytext.com/forum/

                      Perhaps you can get in now. It is on the Tech Talk board in the Alyce's
                      Restaurant area.

                      Alyce